Sign in to follow this  
DylanM

Running MSFS with G-Sync + V-Sync + frames limited

Just wanted to share a good video explaining why this works

Why YOU Should use G-Sync and VSync Together with a Frame Limiter. - YouTube

For the sim, there are a few options to hit buttery smoothness:

1) Standard (what has been suggested in the past): run with G-Sync enabled in NVCP + V-Sync set in NVCP + frames limited to monitor refresh rate -3 in NVCP / external limiter 

2) Simpler: run with G-Sync enabled in NVCP + V-Sync set to Fast in NVCP + Low Latency Mode set to Ultra in NVCP (automatically limits frames; note that this is not compatible with DX12)

3) Simplest: run with G-Sync enabled in NVCP + V-Sync set in MSFS + frames limited in MSFS (I'm running 60 as I can generally maintain that with my settings) 

Personally currently running option 3 as it's compatible with the upcoming DX12 and because of the frame time balancing. 

Cheers

• Like 4

I'm not sure I trust that guy, he started PC gaming a few months ago, and now he's read a 3 year old article on screen tearing and is presenting it as the solution. He's suggesting using third party software like Rivatuner to cap the framerate, when it's easily done in Nvidia Control Panel. In addition to that, he only enables G-Sync for full screen, not windowed and full screen. Which might be why he's seeing tearing in the first place.

From my personal perspective, my performance in MSFS worsens if I enable V-Sync in addition to G-Sync.

With G-Sync on and V-Sync off I never see any tearing whatsoever. 

But please go ahead and try it, it's not going to hurt anything.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

He may be new but actually references blurbusters.com (which is well respected) - the research does have merit as it's more about frametime pacing and latency reduction than tearing, which is why I threw in a few options above. The pinned comment also suggests option 2; tested them all and they run well, but landed on option 3 personally (for a balance of performance, simplicity and compatibility with DX12).

This is some further reading straight from Nvidia:

How To Reduce Lag - A Guide To Better System Latency | GeForce News | NVIDIA

However, if you have a variable refresh rate display, like an NVIDIA G-SYNC monitor, you can get the best of both worlds: no tearing (if your FPS is below your refresh rate), and no VSYNC latency.

For G-SYNC gamers who don’t want to tear, keeping VSYNC ON while using NVIDIA Reflex or NVIDIA Ultra Low Latency Mode, will automatically cap the framerate below the refresh rate, preventing VSYNC backpressure, eliminating tearing, and keeping latency low if you become GPU bound below the refresh rate of your display. Do note, however, that this method will result in slightly higher latency than just letting your FPS run uncapped with NVIDIA Reflex enabled.As a side note, VSYNC ON in the NVIDIA Control Panel will only work for

Fullscreen applications. In addition, MS Hybrid-based laptops do not support VSYNC ON. If you are gaming in windowed mode or on one of these laptops, and want to utilize G-SYNC + VSYNC + Reflex mode, use in-game VSYNC.

But as you note, there's no harm giving them a try. For me, running the combination of G-Sync + V-Sync + locked frames eliminates any microstutters when frames are close to the threshold of the frame lock.

Edited by DylanM
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DylanM said:

He may be new but actually references blurbusters.com (which is well respected) - the research does have merit as it's more about frametime pacing and latency reduction than tearing, which is why I threw in a few options above. The pinned comment also suggests option 2; tested them all and they run well, but landed on option 3 personally (for a balance of performance, simplicity and compatibility with DX12).

This is some further reading straight from Nvidia:

How To Reduce Lag - A Guide To Better System Latency | GeForce News | NVIDIA

However, if you have a variable refresh rate display, like an NVIDIA G-SYNC monitor, you can get the best of both worlds: no tearing (if your FPS is below your refresh rate), and no VSYNC latency.

For G-SYNC gamers who don’t want to tear, keeping VSYNC ON while using NVIDIA Reflex or NVIDIA Ultra Low Latency Mode, will automatically cap the framerate below the refresh rate, preventing VSYNC backpressure, eliminating tearing, and keeping latency low if you become GPU bound below the refresh rate of your display. Do note, however, that this method will result in slightly higher latency than just letting your FPS run uncapped with NVIDIA Reflex enabled.As a side note, VSYNC ON in the NVIDIA Control Panel will only work for

Fullscreen applications. In addition, MS Hybrid-based laptops do not support VSYNC ON. If you are gaming in windowed mode or on one of these laptops, and want to utilize G-SYNC + VSYNC + Reflex mode, use in-game VSYNC.

But as you note, there's no harm giving them a try. For me, running the combination of G-Sync + V-Sync + locked frames eliminates any microstutters when frames are close to the threshold of the frame lock.

It's interesting, and maybe there is something to it. 

It might be worth trying for those who are experiencing tearing due to variation in frame time.

It's likely one of those things that might work for some, but not for others. Depending on the game and exact hardware, including what type of monitor.

• Like 2

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Worth noting that there is a difference between "G-Sync" vs "G-Sync Compatible" displays. 

The LG CX OLED I use as a desktop monitor is a "G-Sync Compatible" display,  and it has a G-sync range @4k res that ranges between 40hz and 120hz.

Native "G-Sync" displays on the other hand,  all have a hardware G-Sync module,  and thus they can sync much lower ranges.   From 1hz,  to the monitor's max refresh rate.

So the results may vary depending on your display,   and the frame rate target you set in whatever game/sim you happen to be running at the time. 

As a graphics hoe,  I'm happy with a smooth 30fps in a flight sim with all the eye candy I can enable.   The 40hz lower limit of my display becomes a consideration under such circumstances.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 10:56 PM, Republic3D said:

He's suggesting using third party software like Rivatuner to cap the framerate, when it's easily done in Nvidia Control Panel. In addition to that, he only enables G-Sync for full screen, not windowed and full screen. Which might be why he's seeing tearing in the first place.

Because with Rivatuner you could change framerate cap in real time while you are flying which i guess is not possible with Nvidia control panel  

• Like 1

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition