Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Google Earth Pro - No airports

I've been using Google Earth Pro for ages and the airports option was very useful. But I can't see it any more. I'm sure it used to reside under the More option under Layers but isn't there.

Am I alone in having this problem or can others see it?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I can't. But then I never knew it was even there.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

It's not there for me either. I don't recall having seen this previously, but I may have forgotten.

However, I made a Google Earth Export of my Prepar3d airports using SimStarter a few times, which creates a kml file for Google Earth. I am sure there are more tools for creating Google Earth Exports, thus you might have done such an export and just forgotten where it came from?

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I was able to under the search function type in airports in the box and they came up for me in my area .

1 hour ago, pmb said:

It's not there for me either. I don't recall having seen this previously, but I may have forgotten.

However, I made a Google Earth Export of my Prepar3d airports using SimStarter a few times, which creates a kml file for Google Earth. I am sure there are more tools for creating Google Earth Exports, thus you might have done such an export and just forgotten where it came from?

Kind regards, Michael

I already have a folder that contains my P3D airports. I can toggle that on/off. But in the Primary Database section lower left there was definitely an option to show all worldwide airports. It’s not about the ability to create an Export. The option was an integral part of the database.

34 minutes ago, johnbow72 said:

I was able to under the search function type in airports in the box and they came up for me in my area .

Yes, the search option will find a specific airport but if you just want to look for airports in a specific region you could just select the airport option and then zoom in.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Ray,

Check "Roads and Transportation" ... Airports got lumped into that option.

Cheers, Rob.

I have Rob. It’s not there. Is it for you? It would appear these options can be changed remotely by Google because I’ve had GEP installed on two PCs and neither show airports.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The option is there in the "experimental" web version.

https://www.google.com/intl/de_de/earth/

However, airports are only actually on display if you zoom in pretty high.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Odd, when I click that option the airport and roads show up (at a specific zoom level).

Cheers, Rob.

I can see roads appear as I zoom in but the airport icon only appears when zoomed very close.

Using KORD as an example the icon appears at 23.66 miles but disappears at 12.23 miles. Four clicks of the zoom button. The icons used to appear when zoomed out hundreds of miles. Not any more.

I have v7.3.4.8248 on W10 laptop.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 minutes ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks Michael, seems the same as GE Pro. I wish they would leave well alone.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It seems things have been changed and many people are not happy about it.

https://support.google.com/earth/thread/131093442/you-have-destroyed-useful-layers?hl=en

I've sent feedback but whether things will change remains to be seen. Pity, The airports option was really useful when deciding where to fly from default P3D airports.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

Great , this version is in German ........LOL

8 minutes ago, johnbow72 said:

Great , this version is in German ........LOL

For your pleasure

https://www.google.com/intl/en_en/earth/

You guessed it, didn't you?

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

Just now, pmb said:

For your pleasure

https://www.google.com/intl/en_en/earth/

You guessed it, didn't you?

Kind regards, Michael

Yes , I could have used it ; there are so many Germans here and on the Orbx forum ; maybe I should learn to speak your language . LOL

• Like 1

I used the airport icon location all the time. to find  small private airports, mostly the  strips that aren't public use or don't have identifiers. Took me a while to realize that all airports were removed from the Transportation category in legends. Some of the larger airport icons do show up when you are zoomed in right at an airport - must have been an upper level management decision to remove them > i.e.  a decision made without any regards to the facts.