Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evan

Am I missing something?

Thanks Evan. Great power supply! I think with all the next gen chips and GPUs (both AMD and Intel) we will need much larger power supplies like yours. Will be interesting to see if you experience any changes in electricity costs 🙂

Have a good week!

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 11/8/2021 at 10:00 PM, pgde said:

Will be interesting to see if you experience any changes in electricity costs

Seriously doubt it. A 1200 watt PSU will be hovering around the middle of the power consumption band, maybe lower, he won't be using all those watts, he will probably be in the most efficient range. 

How is larger PSU`s more efficient, the industry make more efficient CPU`s smaller die then the gamer want`s more performance and OC pushes the power to the CPU. How long before 2000wat PSU`s become more needed and systems are pulling 800-900w, so much for the planet green credentials of the PC, how long before the government`s stop manufactures from allowing OC CPU`s cap the power of PC`s.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

57 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

How is larger PSU`s more efficient

They Aren't. Modern PSU's are these days regardless of wattage. I was just pointing out that with such a big wattage, his system is unlikely to be pushing the limits re wattage and thus be close to the middle of the power band were all modern PSU's are efficient.

Even at the limit they are pretty efficient these days. 

Below is a 1000 watt EVGA. You can see that peak efficiency is usually around the middle. 

EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000 W Review - Efficiency, Temperatures & Noise |  TechPowerUp

5 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

like "80 Plus Titanium" will be more efficient and actually use less power from the source

Certainly will.  Even Titanium or Platinum doesn't make a huge difference though. I didn't even bother for my new build, was quite happy with Gold, especially as PSU's were in short supply at the time. Have had Platinum ands Titanium in the past and didn't notice any difference in bills. 

I remember Jonny Guru the PSU expert who know works for Corsair, commenting a while back how Gold V Titanium is just a few dollars a year saving for most people. 

On 11/6/2021 at 12:09 AM, Evan said:

Any ideas?

One possibility is that if your old PC was not HT enabled but if the new PC is SMT enabled then without an appropriate Affinity Mask the main P3D task could be sharing up to 40% extra load on the second virtual core. So I would check that by either; switching off SMT in the motherboard settings or by applying an AffiinityMask in Prepar3D.cfg to exclude the second Virtual Core.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

So I didn't think about it at the time but I have always disabled hyperthreading as I saw better results with it off on my intel cpus. I have now disabled SMT, and I will see if there is any noticeable difference. Thanks. 

Evan Hardin 

So this is the cpu with SMT off. FPS still not great. Never really goes above 4.5 ghz. Here are some pictures from about 6000 feet above orbx newcastle in the rain. 

https://imgur.com/a/iKLKTVQ

Evan Hardin 

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.