Sign in to follow this  
KL Oo

Controlling aircraft from drone/showcase camera

Hi All,

I use the drone (showcase) camera to perform the role of what would have been the "spot" or external camera in P3D because I feel you've got more camera movement and flexibility than the default MSFS external camera (much more limited zoom). Only trouble with this approach is that when I switch to the drone I can't control the aircraft and the drone at the same time. I can press "C" to "Toggle Aircraft Control" but doing that seems to disable the camera movement and as a result I have no external control whilst controlling the aircraft.

Is there a way around this? I know I probably should just be using the default external view but it just doesn't do it for me? 

Cheers

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

The only way I could get around this was to use FSUIPC and to unmap all default MSFS axes then re-assigning them to FSUIPC equivalents.

This works for basic flight control, but not all keypresses work when using this workaround.

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Ahhh good idea! I've got a registered copy of FSUIPC 7 so could do that.

What keypresses did you find that didn't work? I was hoping to keep my fresh MSFS installation "simplier" than the old P3D one and try and use the default MSFS wherever possible but perhaps that won't work for me.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

9 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

What keypresses did you find that didn't work?

It seems to vary, depending on the aircraft loaded. Typical key-bindings would have been for flaps, gear etc. I have these mapped to rockers on my X52 Pro. I have trim mapped to keypresses (on my throttle POV) but, again, that sometimes works, sometimes not.

I have drone cameras mapped to my Hats, MSFS always allow the hats to automatically have different functions when in cockpit view. But like the OP, I don't see how those Youtube videos are showing neat external views using drone view (showcase view) but they are still flying the plane under control at the same time. Could it possibly be this is easier when using an Xbox controller for the drone?

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Just to revisit this ...

As I'd already set up my axes in FSUIPC, I thought I'd do the other half of the job and set up individual keypresses/buttons in FSUIPC to do those odd non-working functions.

Surprisingly easy to do in FSUIPC, so all I had to do then was to remove the bindings from that MSFS profile (so you don't get duplicate inputs). All works as advertised now 🙂

Adam.

P.S. This was all done in the *payware* version of FSUIPC (which I've used for many years). I don't have a clue as to how much of this functionality is available in the free version.

9 hours ago, Fielder said:

I have drone cameras mapped to my Hats, MSFS always allow the hats to automatically have different functions when in cockpit view. But like the OP, I don't see how those Youtube videos are showing neat external views using drone view (showcase view) but they are still flying the plane under control at the same time. Could it possibly be this is easier when using an Xbox controller for the drone?

I think they are probably using "FlightRecorder" available at FlightSim.to......or something similar

Control the flight from the cockpit and record it with FlightRecorder. Then replay the recording in MSFS using whatever camera or view that you want.....and then record  that replay using Geforce Experience (or something similar)

In FSX and P3D we could use the built in flight recorder and then Geforce Experience to do the same:

Edited by GaryK
  • Like 1

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Why can't you just make a custom cockpit view, say ALT-1 and place it outside the cockpit at the desired "Spot" position?

There are several videos at Youtube that explain how to do this, by moving  the viewpoint with arrow keys to the boundary of the cockpit, and then editing the cfg file coordinates to put it outside the aircraft..

@dobee51 Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to lock the focal point so that you can rotate around, up and down via this method. I.e. using the hat switches?

Kael Oswald

15 hours ago, dobee51 said:

Why can't you just make a custom cockpit view, say ALT-1 and place it outside the cockpit at the desired "Spot" position?

There are several videos at Youtube that explain how to do this, by moving  the viewpoint with arrow keys to the boundary of the cockpit, and then editing the cfg file coordinates to put it outside the aircraft..

Sounds like the same trick as is in the tips and tricks forum. It produces the "black box" luggage box artifact for some (Me) so isn't a viable option.

https://libredd.it/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/ja7u2x/how_do_i_fix_this_theres_a_big_black_box_on_top/?sort=new

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52