Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

I made a mistake with G2 ...

Just out of curiosity, today I set render scaling = 200 in VR, and as expected, my fps dropped to floor at 8fps. Totally unplayable.

BUT, word not allowed, for the first time I saw that G2 can actually look so crystal clear. The image looks literally impeccable in terms of resolution and complete lack of any discernable pixelization and fuzziness.

I was eyeing on Varjo Aero, but now I seriously doubt the benefit of spending $2k on a new VR set. All I need is to get G2 to run at its full potential. I'm running a 3090 + 10850K@5.1GHz, and I guess 4090 just couldn't come soon enough. 

This is a huge mistake, because after seeing what scaling = 200 looks like it's *really* hard to go back to 80 which is required for me to maintain 22.5fps. word not allowed.

Edited by FlyIce
  • Like 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Yes, VR is still a work in progress. Better then it was a few years ago, but still need to reduce settings for smooth VR.  I run at 100 render Scaling in the sim and 80 set in WMR Open XR. HP Reverb G2 with 3080Ti. 

I get a little studder low to the ground but I can accept that for better visuals. 

I also was following the big VR YouTubers with regards to the Varjo.  It looks very promising, 

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Re: the low level stuttering - I have this too - even when my frame rates are in the 30s or 40s. Everything else is perfectly smooth. The stuttering isn't a stop start thing...it is as if the scenery takes a step back every quarter of a second or so - more of a shudder. Is this usual? It doesn't seem to matter what settings I have, or where I'm flying  - reduced everything to low and it was the same as when I had everything on high/ultra. Using the link cable as can't get either of the two wireless options to work. Any thoughts?

i9, 2080ti, can run with everything on ultra when using the monitor @ around 35/40 fps.

I tried the 200 render scale and 50% in the open XR and it worked fine, saw a slight improvement.

I have moved back now to 70% and 100 in the sim and its as smooth as it was.

Altering the sim render resolution up beyond 100 and not adjusting the openXR scale down is going to degrade performance the further you go. I am waiting for my Varjo now as this will be a game changer for clarity.

The 3090 is more than adeqaute for MSFS at the moment.

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

On 11/18/2021 at 12:55 PM, Nate1 said:

Re: the low level stuttering - I have this too - even when my frame rates are in the 30s or 40s. Everything else is perfectly smooth. The stuttering isn't a stop start thing...it is as if the scenery takes a step back every quarter of a second or so - more of a shudder. Is this usual? It doesn't seem to matter what settings I have, or where I'm flying  - reduced everything to low and it was the same as when I had everything on high/ultra. Using the link cable as can't get either of the two wireless options to work. Any thoughts?

i9, 2080ti, can run with everything on ultra when using the monitor @ around 35/40 fps.

Looks like you have Asynchronous spacewarp on. You should disable it with Oculus debug tool.

• Like 1

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:02 PM, Steve_Ellis said:

I tried the 200 render scale and 50% in the open XR and it worked fine, saw a slight improvement.

I have moved back now to 70% and 100 in the sim and its as smooth as it was.

Altering the sim render resolution up beyond 100 and not adjusting the openXR scale down is going to degrade performance the further you go. I am waiting for my Varjo now as this will be a game changer for clarity.

The 3090 is more than adeqaute for MSFS at the moment.

He Steve,

did you also tried limiting your frames within the nvidia control panel at 30FPS? I know it sounds crazy (as with HMD), but this gives the SIM headroom and makes it even smoother at my end!

Are you already using this or have you set the frames to unlimited in Nvidia Control Panel?

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

10 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

He Steve,

did you also tried limiting your frames within the nvidia control panel at 30FPS? I know it sounds crazy (as with HMD), but this gives the SIM headroom and makes it even smoother at my end!

Are you already using this or have you set the frames to unlimited in Nvidia Control Panel?

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I find the newest update to Open Xr and switching Motion Reprojection to Automatic sort of has the same effect and limits the frames, seems a lot smoother than before.

FS PC - AMD7900X3D / MSI RTX 4090 24gb / 32gb Ram / Varjo Aero / Bravo Quadrant / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / Yoke / TPR Pedals

UK Skytours - http://www.ukskytours.co.uk

2 hours ago, Steve_Ellis said:

Hi Marcus,

I find the newest update to Open Xr and switching Motion Reprojection to Automatic sort of has the same effect and limits the frames, seems a lot smoother than before.

Hi Steve,

yes, I use the same setting, and in Addition, I limit the frames and get even more smoothness then.

Thanks for your reply!

Regards

Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png