Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

System Specs - what’s most important

Currently running AMD 3600X with a RTX 2060 Super and 2x 8GB of DDR4 Ram.

Ive watched some comparisons if I did an upgrade on my CPU but without a 3090 etc there’s no noticeable improvement. 

Would a doubling of RAM to 32Gb help or is this a case of save up and get a 3090 and then new CPU as well. This could be years away!!

what am I trying to achieve, just a general improvement around settings and shuttering / lag at higher end spec.

1 minute ago, NZAA said:

32 GB will reduce the stuttering, as for the GPU you would be OK with an RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti for 1440p.

If you play in Full HD you can also wait until hardware returns to normal prices and maybe invest in a Ryzen 5000 series.

It also depends on your budget.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

21 minutes ago, NZAA said:

save up and get a 3090 and then new CPU as well. This could be years away!!

Stop throwing money at overpriced hardware. 

Reduce your settings a notch or two, and enjoy the sim now,  and you don't have to wait "for years" for prices to come down (which they won't anyway)

10 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Stop throwing money at overpriced hardware. 

Reduce your settings a notch or two, and enjoy the sim now,  and you don't have to wait "for years" for prices to come down (which they won't anyway)

No thanks. 

I play for the scenery and am keen to get some improvement where I can. 32Gb of ram or another 2x 8GB doesn’t cost much if it helps

7 minutes ago, NZAA said:

No thanks. 

I play for the scenery and am keen to get some improvement where I can. 32Gb of ram or another 2x 8GB doesn’t cost much if it helps

With 16GB RAM you already have the recommended amount. Currently running in Ultra on a 32GB rig, task manager shows MSFS using 6GB of RAM(!) with plenty of GB available.

The only thing that will really improve things for you is a new GPU and these are extremely overpriced and no money should be thrown after them.

Edited by rka

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

9 minutes ago, NZAA said:

No thanks. 

I offered you the quickest and most efficient and cheapest way of improving your experience, given current hardware prices. But, AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA thank you for your business. 

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I offered you the quickest and most efficient and cheapest way of improving your experience, given current hardware prices. But, AMD, Intel, and NVIDIA thank you for your business. 

Some people want the sim to look good.  Don't fault them for that.

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

6 hours ago, NZAA said:

Ive watched some comparisons if I did an upgrade on my CPU but without a 3090 etc there’s no noticeable improvement. 

Would a doubling of RAM to 32Gb help or is this a case of save up and get a 3090 and then new CPU as well. This could be years away!!

what am I trying to achieve, just a general improvement around settings and shuttering / lag at higher end spec.

The best upgrade would be a CPU.  Assuming you're at 1080P resolution.  I'm not a big AMD fan when it comes to flight Sims.  But I think a newer Ryzen would work for you.  Unfortunately I don't know the upgrade path for Ryzen.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, NZAA said:

just a general improvement around settings and shuttering / lag at higher end spec.

As i can tell, higher end spec doesn't rules, bugs or optimize rules, and i'm not satisfied the 3090 performance with MSFS right now, maybe a stable DX12 could change.

R9-5950X // 32Gb@3600 // B550 Unify // 3090 TUF OC // 1TB 980Pro M.2 // Nuctua D15 // Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 // LG GP-850 1440P@180Hz // HOTAS WARTHOG&TFRP // Windows 11

Sorry for my pathetic English , thank you.😅

6 hours ago, NZAA said:

You haven't said a single word about the resolution you're aiming to use in MSFS. If you're simming at 1080p or 1440p, a 3090 would probably be a waste of money. Even at 4K you're in the regime of diminishing returns, but may have an advantage in some (few) scenarios when the VRAM of other GPUs isn't sufficient. Might also be worth waiting a month, as Nvidia is likely to launch their refresh series with higher VRAM specs at CES in early January (3080 12GB, 3070Ti 16GB) -> https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-and-intel-announce-their-january-4th-ces-2022-press-conferences 

As for the CPU, you may be able to drop in a 5000 series Ryzen in your motherboard instead of the 3600X, at least if it's based on the x570 chipset. AMD has also announced a refresh of the Ryzen 5000 series for Jan/Feb, I plan on getting one of those to replace my 3900X later next year. 

Upgrading your RAM to 32GB may make a small difference with stutters, especially when using other software in the background, but I wouldn't expect a major improvement from this. If it takes years for you to save up for a 3090, you may as well wait for the next generation of cards that's slated for Q3/Q4 2022. Or wait for the overheated GPU market to calm down a bit.

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600