Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Anyone seen this before.

Guest BOPrey

I was flying the Citation X around the New York area today with ActiveSky. I was crusing at around 13000 ft with speed of about 300. I then encounter some strong head wind which put my speed over 450. (The Citation had a max speed limit of 350.) A few seconds later, the plane crashed. Anyone seen this before?

If it crashed due to overspeed, then yes. I disabled aircraft stress crash detection because of it, now I just get an overspeed warning without ruining a flight.ian.

Guest Bob I

Hi,Something wrong here. I don't think a head wind is added to indicated airspeed. Your indicated would be 300 kts, and ground speed would be 150 kts. Just like a tail wind of 150 kts. Your indicated would be 300 kts, and your ground speed would be 450 kts. Still no overspeed. I do not believe that there is an overspeed. If I am wrong, please correct me.Bob I.... in sunny Florida

Guest BOPrey

My realism setting is to use indicated speed. A few seconds before the crash due to over speed, the gauge did read 450, completely in the red. A few seconds before that, the gauge read 300. The plane shook as if there were large turbulence, then the over speed warning was on. I looked at the gauge, and it was over 450 and in the red. Before I can do anything, FS switched to the 'crash due to over speed'. I don't know what caused the problem. It might be a problem with AS or FSX, I just don't know.

>My realism setting is to use indicated speed. A few seconds>before the crash due to over speed, the gauge did read 450,>completely in the red. A few seconds before that, the gauge>read 300. The plane shook as if there were large turbulence,>then the over speed warning was on. I looked at the gauge, and>it was over 450 and in the red. Before I can do anything, FS>switched to the 'crash due to over speed'. I don't know what>caused the problem. It might be a problem with AS or FSX, I>just don't know.AS ;-)Andr

André

Guest BOPrey

I have AS since version 4.5, they never had any problem. Why would the problem just show up now?

Guest lulu

A headwind would slow you down wouldn't it?Don

>My realism setting is to use indicated speed. A few seconds>before the crash due to over speed, the gauge did read 450,>completely in the red. A few seconds before that, the gauge>read 300. That seems like correct IAS behavior to me. IAS will show a headwind component of +any headwind component.The problem is that you should not get a 150 knot jump in winds; I can't see that happening in real life.One problem I see is that FS (any version does it) should not be basing this "overspeed" warning on IAS, but rather TRUE airspeed.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>I have AS since version 4.5, they never had any problem. Why>would the problem just show up now? I have seen this problem many times with FS9 + AS or FSX + AS. (!)I am surprised it has just bitten you now.I also have turned off "aircraft damage due to stress" for this reason.There is something wrong with the way FS and AS interact regarding winds. And like I said, I think FS has a problem with overspeed warnings in that it's basing it on IAS, when shouldn't it be on TAS? I'm still thinking about that one...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Guest BOPrey

OK. I will disable "aircraft damage due to stress". Using IAS for overspeed warnings is correct. You can read it up from this wiki."Indicated airspeed is used in aircraft operation as the aircraft stalling speed and structural limiting speeds are dependent on indicated airspeed, irrespective of true airspeed."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_airspeed

Ok that makes sense, thanks for the info.I would run with a/c stress disabled until the kinks are worked out of upper-air winds. Either that or save your flight often.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

Guest garwig2

>>My realism setting is to use indicated speed. A few seconds>>before the crash due to over speed, the gauge did read 450,>>completely in the red. A few seconds before that, the gauge>>read 300. A sudden shift in winds will affect your airspeed because the plane's momentum will tend to keep your groundspeed (until the drag has time to slow you down). So you hit an area where Activesky had an unrealistic sudden 150 kt. shift in winds. The planes momentum kept you moving at your current groundspeed which when added to the headwind overstressed the aircraft.>>Before I can do anything, FS>>switched to the 'crash due to over speed'. I don't know what>>caused the problem.I can't tell you how much I hate the FS automatic reset when you crash. We should be given ample time to replay the last few minutes of our fligh and find out what went wrong.

Guest garwig2

>IAS will show a>headwind component of +any headwind component.I think you're confusing IAS with groundspeed. Groundspeed is affected by headwinds, not IAS.>>The problem is that you should not get a 150 knot jump in>winds; I can't see that happening in real life.Exactly, I believe the weather program is where the fault lies.>One problem I see is that FS (any version does it) should not>be basing this "overspeed" warning on IAS, but rather TRUE>airspeed.In real life, structural limits are based on IAS, so FS is correct in doing this. The airplane can be over-stressed by the drag caused by the wind, as your IAS increases so does the drag on the airplane. Drag is related to IAS not to TAS.-Gary

>>>IAS will show a>>headwind component of +any headwind>component.>>I think you're confusing IAS with groundspeed. Groundspeed is>affected by headwinds, not IAS.>Notice in Post#11 I said, "oh, yeah, that's right."You are quoting from an earlier post when I was still thinking about it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett