Sign in to follow this  
stratfordman10

Upgrading to P3d v5.3

Sorry to be a pain here but I am about to upgrade my sim to version 5.3.1 and I note that there are different ways to carry out this process.

All I need is a bit on confirmation.

Firstly I have downloaded V 5.3.1 including the hot fix  and that lies in my download folder.

Am I right in saying that all I need to do next is to uninstall the client, content and scenery folders (just those 3) from my Programmes/Features leaving the P3D v5 Academic file in place.

Then delete my shaders file.

Then reboot my PC and then unzip the P3D v5 Academic file 5.3.15.28130. and hopefully that is it.

Really sorry if this  post seems b a bit naive but would really appreciate confirmation that this is the way to go.

Thank you in anticipation.

Michael

Michael Broom

There are a number of posts here about this. A simple search would show them.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

55 minutes ago, stratfordman10 said:

Sorry to be a pain here but I am about to upgrade my sim to version 5.3.1 and I note that there are different ways to carry out this process.

All I need is a bit on confirmation.

Firstly I have downloaded V 5.3.1 including the hot fix  and that lies in my download folder.

Am I right in saying that all I need to do next is to uninstall the client, content and scenery folders (just those 3) from my Programmes/Features leaving the P3D v5 Academic file in place.

Then delete my shaders file.

Then reboot my PC and then unzip the P3D v5 Academic file 5.3.15.28130. and hopefully that is it.

Really sorry if this  post seems b a bit naive but would really appreciate confirmation that this is the way to go.

Thank you in anticipation.

Michael

Hi...my addons are installed using the addon xml method. So I've always used the complete uninstall/re-install method using the LM guide. My addons are not affected and the result is a clean install...if your addons are installed in the root directory, then this would require re-installation of your addons which would be time consuming. Regards.

Edited by Peter Webber

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Many thanks for your replies but just seeking confirmation if the process I have stated would still work.I have read some of the other posts but some are a bit confusing.

Michael Broom

I have always used this method with no issue. Keep In mind what works for some may not work for others. And a full clean install every now and then is the best way to go.

• Like 1

Hi Stratfordman10,

I installed the latest updated version of P3D 5.3 which now includes the latest Hotfix update (I believe 5.3.15.2831). Previously I had 5.3 without any hotfix installed. This was the first time that I did a "segment download" so I followed the LM Updating P3D v5 instructions to the tee. 

--It looks like you downloaded the complete 5.3 version and have that located in a separate folder. To incorporate only the latest hotfix into your already installed ver. 5.3, all you need to do is first uninstall the "Client App" through your Windows 10 Uninstall Feature. Once that is accomplished, then "Open the Install_Client.msi" and run that installer. Once Client is re-installed, then do the same Uninstall\Install procedure for the "Scenery" as done for the Client App. Again, you can find these specific instructions within the LM Download and Installation instructions section "Updating PrepareD v5". To the best of my understanding, Content does not need to be updated for this latest hotfix so I did not touch Content.

--If you so choose and feel more comfortable doing a complete uninstall of version 5.3 and then a reinstall of the updated version, that is your choice, even though that is not necessary.

--Regarding Shaders--Nothing was stated within the LM Updating Instructions to delete the shaders folder so I left that alone. The end result for me, all worked fine and I am enjoying this latest updated version of P3D 5.3. 

--Regarding rebooting your computer once the updating process if finished--I do not know if that is really necessary as I did not see anything mentioned in LM's updating instructions. I did a reboot just for the sake of doing so.

Hope this helps,

Raymie

HI Raymie,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply, much appreciated.

No I have not installed v 5.3 as I am still on v 5.2 so my original query relates to upgrading from version2 to version3 where of course the client, content and scenery all need to be updated.

Therefore,can I ask the process you undertook to upgrade to version 5.3. please. and also did you add on's stay intact?

Would appreciate your further comments.

Regards,

Michael

Michael Broom

You can un-install the 3 folders, you mentioned, then re-install with Client, Content and scenery in the new Zipped version. (you can say "no" to de-activation of the Client file, that way you won't have to re-activate.)

the shaders you can just delete before running the new version, they are built new when you start 1st run the new ver. of P3D. 

You don't have to delete the 4 appdata folders, but you should at least delete or rename the P3D.cfg file.  Sometimes there are new settings in there to accommodate the new version. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

42 minutes ago, stratfordman10 said:

Therefore,can I ask the process you undertook to upgrade to version 5.3. please. and also did you add on's stay intact?

Hi Stratfordman10,

To uninstall 5.1 & install ver. 5.3, I followed Ray Proudfoot's suggestion:

Uninstalling 5.1 he suggested to uninstall Client First and as Jim mentioned, "say no to de-activation" regarding your license. You want to retain your P3D license.Second, Ray suggested I uninstall the "Academic App" as this will automatically uninstall both Content & Scenery Apps. He was correct as I checked and all four P3D apps were totally uninstalled.

Installing 5.3 (prior to the hotfix):I unzipped it to a temp. folder and then ran the P3D main exe. installer and followed the directions. I installed 5.3 with my antivirus program temporarily disabled to prevent any false positives & I nstalled 5.3 in the same exact location as 5.1. The installation process went without any problems and for whatever reason, I did not have to delete any shader folder(s) or anything else prior to starting up version 5.3 for the first time.

Regarding my version 5.1 addons  Surprisingly, all of my aircraft addons remained untouched and nothing was missing.The only "wrinkle" I have experienced re: my addon a\c is, some of them such as my Carenado a\c, the landing lights do not illuminate the ground surface at night while others like my Flysimware addons do

I had to use the Flight1 Update tool to update my GTN 750\650 which surprised me as I thought both were no longer supported.  

My Orbx Scenery addons: I had all of my scenery addons initially installed within my P3D 5.1 main folder. For that reason, prior to uninstalling 5.1, I first uninstalled all of my Orbx addons via Orbx Central. After 5.3 was installed, I did a test flight first without any addon scenery to make sure 5.3 was problem free. Then I installed my Orbx scenery using the "Library" function so all of the scenery is now installed outside of my P3D folder.: I installed several of the sceneries at one time, then did a test flight to make sure there were no CTDs. Then I repeated that process until all of my Orbx scenery was installed. I then reinstalled my Rex Sky Force

Hope this helps as I know this process can be a little un-nerving, it was for me.

Raymie

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Glad it all worked out for you and hope you enjoy this latest update of P3D ver. 5.

Raymie