Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Thinking about Bing Crosby.....

I often think about Bing Crosby. And about the time I went to the same dentist as the twins, Philip and Dennis. And sitting in the waiting room with them. And with their mother Dixie. Back in 1949. Fast forward to 1957...the Bing Crosby Golf Tournament.

Wow! More celebrities than I can count. My first time there and, for sure, I'm coming back some day. Fast forward to 1962. 

This was my third year working at The Crosby. Selling tickets, holding back the crowds (there were no fairway ropes in those days) and getting a chance to meet Bing at the Clambake Dinner. Rosemary Clooney, Rodney Dangerfield, and Bing himself. What a night. It was a male-only affair and I was invited back there for three years after. Those dinners are among the most memorable nights of my life. Fast forward to 1977.

Dinner in Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, Mexico. We sat across the table from Henry and Betty Anne. They were a couple we'd met at the resort the day before. So here we are, a couple of middle-class kids sitting across the table from two very wealthy people. She was main-line Philadelphia money and his family made their fortunes sailing clipper ships around the horn. Big bucks indeed. I looked across the table at Betty Anne, and not knowing what to say, I blurted out...

..."Gee, isn't it too bad about Bing Crosby". She looked at me and said "What's too bad about Bing Crosby". To which I replied, "isn't it too bad he died a couple of days ago". Her face turned white. She stood up and immediately left the table. They had sailed down to Cabo, had not seen the news for several days, and had no idea Bing was gone. Fast forward to the next day.

There is a small chapel up on the hill at the resort where we were staying (Palmilla). And I learned that Henry and Betty Anne were married in that little chapel. And Bing Crosby, a long-time personal friend, had sang at their wedding. Talk about the bearer of bad news.........

Edited by W2DR
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

Fast forward to 1957...the Bing Crosby Golf Tournament.

Seeing that reminded me of the Bob Hope Golf tournament that used to be in Palm Springs. That tournament still exists but isn’t called the Bob Hope anymore.

Also was thinking of Dinah Shore who also had an LPGA tournament.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, and Vera-Ellen in White Christmas!  Love the girls sings "Sisters"

Bing and Danny a class act!

Edited by TuFun
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Seeing that reminded me of the Bob Hope Golf tournament that used to be in Palm Springs. That tournament still exists but isn’t called the Bob Hope anymore.

Also was thinking of Dinah Shore who also had an LPGA tournament.

Bing Crosby's tournament is still at Pebble Beach also. But it hasn't carried his name since the mid-80's. It's now called the AT&T-something-or-other. But to me it will always be "The Crosby."

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

The Crosby Clambake used to be Pebble Beach, Spyglass, and Cyprus Point. But it's no longer on those 3 exact courses.

Cyprus Point might be the best golf course in the world and is very exclusive. Neither money nor fame will get you a tee time. I'll never get to play it, except virtually. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.