Sign in to follow this  
lupedelupe

MS servers

The first time I installed MSFS it took about 5 days. The second time, after my entire install simply disappeared, it was a little faster at 3 days (servers not as busy?).

Ten days ago my hard drive failed and I've been forced into rebuilding my machine with a new drive. Priority One: get Windows installed, activated and updated. Done. Priority Two (should be work stuff, right?): install MSFS. 😅. It's been running for two hours and managed to install 344 MB. In TWO hours. I ran a speed check (with MSFS installed paused): network is fine and speed is where it should be.

Microsoft servers?

At this rate I should be able to fly again just before Christmas. 🙈🙉🙊

I am located in Australia (poor internet speeds) and am able to download at about 5MB/s in MFS. Clearly you're getting substantially less than that. I have had instances in the past where my download would be substantially slower and the only thing I could do was ALT+F4 and reopen the application. It would work after a couple of tries.

I should mention though that I have not needed to employ that 'workaround' for more than a year and every download has been fine as of late.

• Like 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

I’m in Tokyo so I won’t flex by telling you numbers but suffice to say I have no problems downloading / streaming from servers (when they’re up…).

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Do you use ethernet? I had the problem before when using wifi connection. Now I get average of 100MB/s download from the MS servers when updating (I have a 1GB fiber connection). So if you have a good connection, something else is throttling your speed.... it is not the MS servers in my experience (unless they are down).

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

1 hour ago, suncoastflyer said:

I am located in Australia (poor internet speeds) and am able to download at about 5MB/s in MFS. Clearly you're getting substantially less than that. I have had instances in the past where my download would be substantially slower and the only thing I could do was ALT+F4 and reopen the application. It would work after a couple of tries.

I should mention though that I have not needed to employ that 'workaround' for more than a year and every download has been fine as of late.

I'll try that for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Silicus said:

Do you use ethernet? I had the problem before when using wifi connection. Now I get average of 100MB/s download from the MS servers when updating (I have a 1GB fiber connection). So if you have a good connection, something else is throttling your speed.... it is not the MS servers in my experience (unless they are down).

My line is ADSL, and my connection between modem/router and PC is wi-fi. Yesterday I ran all the Windows updates, and while I could not see the download speeds it seemed to come down with normal speeds. I ran the speediest this morning specifically to check if the issue was between my PC and the modem. It's not; this can only logically be a server-side bottleneck as everything, and every other computer on the same network has no connection issues. 

Try using a VPN to allow you to connect to a different server.  I live in Southeast US and the default server is trash...it always hangs during downloads.  I connected with a VPN and it gave me an IP address in the northeast and everything downloaded and installed without a hitch.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy