Sign in to follow this  
uwespeed

I luv LR ...

43 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Are you sure that you were using vanilla Windows 11? It never ever blocked Firefox, OpenOffice and other software for me. I bet it was caused by bloatware that comes with pre-built PCs such as McAfee, a known offender.

its different when you buy it installed from the shop and have very limited windows experience, took me ages to get the other halfs win10 machine set up (half a day just to get the windows key working), and edge still keeps randomly blocking stuff.

You know windows is abandonware when the instructions for fixing the windows key not doing anything start with "press windows key + R and type...."

I suspect that is also the last wjndows machine we ever buy given how jealous she is over the M1 macbook air  I bought a month later (which was half the price and gets twice the fps in XP11 than the rtx3050 in hers)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

25 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Are you sure that you were using vanilla Windows 11? It never ever blocked Firefox, OpenOffice and other software for me. I bet it was caused by bloatware that comes with pre-built PCs such as McAfee, a known offender.

Honestly, I don't know. However, as Firefox and Openoffice are competitors for MS, as a test I tried to download something else for installation (I don't even remember what it was). That worked and wasn't blocked.

But ... in one of my IT magazine there was an item about Edge. Namely, if you search with it (and of course searches with Bing) for "download Chrome" you get a message that looks like a Windows system message: "It isn't necessary to download a new webbrowser." And that works even in Win 10.
Additionally, if you want to change the default webbrowser, it doesn't work with "one mouse click", you have to change the assignments for every respective file type by hand. And that's still not all, some links in Windows are hardcoded to Edge - you need to download supplementary tools to redirect these to your favorite browser which you already had to configure tediously.

Possibly it's this way not in every country but (only?) in Germany, but as I know MS ...

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

8 minutes ago, uwespeed said:

you get a message

nope.

you get several. And it keeps asking to uninstall it every time edge is accidentally started, despite clicking dont show again.

Unfortunately this mentality is rife in the tech industry - "well ms does it, it must be OK".

Definitely luv LR for being the exact opposite of that BS.

omg

MSFFS is now BSFS

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

13 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I love the stability and polish of X-Plane. .... [snip] ... but X-Plane manages to shine with its simple, intuitive and straight-to-point architecture where everything just works, both from a developer and user perspective. So I am with @Bjoern on that one.

Exactly what I can confirm as user and developer. So I am with you on that one.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

1 hour ago, strider1 said:

They want you to be a product, and the sick customer!

Microsoft not so much, thats mostly a FANNG game.

MS has changed from a leading operating system/office suite developer into a mid tier cloud provider for B2B, their games devision has been limping along behind Sony and Nintendo (and now also Occulus/Meta) for a decade or more.

I don't actually have anything particularly against them, other than generally objecting to the nonsense marketing hype that follows them round wherever they go - that constantly tries to spin the narrative that they are more important than they really are.

There's a whole generation now who have only heard of Microsoft from textbooks and minecraft, and they all beg for Apple products. 

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Unfortunately this one has run its course and is locked. Wish you guys could just keep the insults and political comments, which have been hidden, to yourselves and engage in civil discussion.

• Like 3

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator