Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Convoluted Instructions on Leaving Beta

Last beta (SU7), I was forced to completely reinstall my entire sim because I didn't leave the beta before the final release of SU7. Looking forward to the final release today of SU8, I withdrew from the SU8 beta three days ago, and my files were perfectly restored to SU7. Everything worked perfectly. Today, however, my entire sim was involuntarily deleted once again, and I need to once again reinstall the whole sim. I have a fast internet connection, as well as a backup. So this isn't the end of the world for me. But please note how ridiculous this entire updating process is. My sim was deleted first because I didn't uninstall the beta before final release. Today, I'm reading last-minute, altered instructions on how your installation may be deleted if you leave the beta before final release. The sim is fantastic. The installation and updating process are often a complete fiasco. And please save me the speech about a second installation path. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know.

• Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

13 minutes ago, David Mills said:

The installation and updating process are often a complete fiasco.

unfortunately very true, even for advanced users, I wonder how inexperienced users handle this, Microsoft obviously developed XBox for a reason 😀.

And even if you did follow best practices and tried to sign out of SU8 beta today AFTER SU8 final was released, you still could not due to another bug, but they have fixed this glitch already:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/no-way-to-leave-beta-su8/501675

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

And I even have an MSFS polo shirt! Perhaps I should check the closet to see whether it has been involuntarily repossessed overnight.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

41 minutes ago, David Mills said:

The installation and updating process are often a complete fiasco

Is your community folder in the default directory/path or did you select an alternate drive/folder?

It is clearly stated by Asobo that if you have your community installed in the default folder and joined beta, there is a high probability you would need to install the whole sim.

I've opted-in every single MS2020 beta and I have not had any issues...so far. I have my community folder in a different drive/folder.

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Just now, CarlosF said:

Is your community folder in the default directory or did you select an alternate drive/folder?

It is clearly stated by Asobo that if you have your community installed in the default folder and joined beta, there is a high probability will would need to install the whole sim.

I had nothing in my community folder, so I guess it was indeed located on the default path. You're right, @CarlosF. But is this such an abomination to humanity that Asobo has to delete the entire sim because of it? I simply don't understand the rationale behind this. And there should be no degrees of "probability" about whether a program is deleted or not. Computers and software don't work like quantum mechanics.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I had nothing in my community folder, so I guess it was indeed located on the default path. You're right, @CarlosF. But is this such an abomination to humanity that Asobo has to delete the entire sim because of it? I simply don't understand the rationale behind this. And there should be no degrees of "probability" about whether a program is deleted or not. Computers and software don't work like quantum mechanics.

I can understand your frustration, but you can't blame Asobo, they warned us and made it quite clear of the risks of joining beta if you opted for the default path during the initial installation.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Through some miracle of Divine intervention or mercy, my backup actually worked and I didn't have to reinstall the entire sim from scratch -- just the update.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Last beta (SU7), I was forced to completely reinstall my entire sim because I didn't leave the beta before the final release of SU7. Looking forward to the final release today of SU8, I withdrew from the SU8 beta three days ago, and my files were perfectly restored to SU7. Everything worked perfectly. Today, however, my entire sim was involuntarily deleted once again, and I need to once again reinstall the whole sim. I have a fast internet connection, as well as a backup. So this isn't the end of the world for me. But please note how ridiculous this entire updating process is. My sim was deleted first because I didn't uninstall the beta before final release. Today, I'm reading last-minute, altered instructions on how your installation may be deleted if you leave the beta before final release. The sim is fantastic. The installation and updating process are often a complete fiasco. And please save me the speech about a second installation path. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know.

If you have had to re-install I guess you have now not chosen the default path?  If so you shouldn't have any further issues.  If you are still in the default path, leave the beta alone.  You could purchase the steam version and click one button to enter the beta and do nothing to leave it.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home