Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Convoluted Instructions on Leaving Beta

Recommended Posts

Last beta (SU7), I was forced to completely reinstall my entire sim because I didn't leave the beta before the final release of SU7. Looking forward to the final release today of SU8, I withdrew from the SU8 beta three days ago, and my files were perfectly restored to SU7. Everything worked perfectly. Today, however, my entire sim was involuntarily deleted once again, and I need to once again reinstall the whole sim. I have a fast internet connection, as well as a backup. So this isn't the end of the world for me. But please note how ridiculous this entire updating process is. My sim was deleted first because I didn't uninstall the beta before final release. Today, I'm reading last-minute, altered instructions on how your installation may be deleted if you leave the beta before final release. The sim is fantastic. The installation and updating process are often a complete fiasco. And please save me the speech about a second installation path. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, David Mills said:

The installation and updating process are often a complete fiasco.

unfortunately very true, even for advanced users, I wonder how inexperienced users handle this, Microsoft obviously developed XBox for a reason 😀.

And even if you did follow best practices and tried to sign out of SU8 beta today AFTER SU8 final was released, you still could not due to another bug, but they have fixed this glitch already:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/no-way-to-leave-beta-su8/501675

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I even have an MSFS polo shirt! Perhaps I should check the closet to see whether it has been involuntarily repossessed overnight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, David Mills said:

The installation and updating process are often a complete fiasco

Is your community folder in the default directory/path or did you select an alternate drive/folder?

It is clearly stated by Asobo that if you have your community installed in the default folder and joined beta, there is a high probability you would need to install the whole sim.

I've opted-in every single MS2020 beta and I have not had any issues...so far. I have my community folder in a different drive/folder.

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | Asus GTX 1070 | 500GB NVMe-M.2 for Win | 1TB NVMe-M.2 for FS2020 | TrackIr v5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CarlosF said:

Is your community folder in the default directory or did you select an alternate drive/folder?

It is clearly stated by Asobo that if you have your community installed in the default folder and joined beta, there is a high probability will would need to install the whole sim.

I had nothing in my community folder, so I guess it was indeed located on the default path. You're right, @CarlosF. But is this such an abomination to humanity that Asobo has to delete the entire sim because of it? I simply don't understand the rationale behind this. And there should be no degrees of "probability" about whether a program is deleted or not. Computers and software don't work like quantum mechanics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I had nothing in my community folder, so I guess it was indeed located on the default path. You're right, @CarlosF. But is this such an abomination to humanity that Asobo has to delete the entire sim because of it? I simply don't understand the rationale behind this. And there should be no degrees of "probability" about whether a program is deleted or not. Computers and software don't work like quantum mechanics.

I can understand your frustration, but you can't blame Asobo, they warned us and made it quite clear of the risks of joining beta if you opted for the default path during the initial installation.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | Asus GTX 1070 | 500GB NVMe-M.2 for Win | 1TB NVMe-M.2 for FS2020 | TrackIr v5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Through some miracle of Divine intervention or mercy, my backup actually worked and I didn't have to reinstall the entire sim from scratch -- just the update.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Last beta (SU7), I was forced to completely reinstall my entire sim because I didn't leave the beta before the final release of SU7. Looking forward to the final release today of SU8, I withdrew from the SU8 beta three days ago, and my files were perfectly restored to SU7. Everything worked perfectly. Today, however, my entire sim was involuntarily deleted once again, and I need to once again reinstall the whole sim. I have a fast internet connection, as well as a backup. So this isn't the end of the world for me. But please note how ridiculous this entire updating process is. My sim was deleted first because I didn't uninstall the beta before final release. Today, I'm reading last-minute, altered instructions on how your installation may be deleted if you leave the beta before final release. The sim is fantastic. The installation and updating process are often a complete fiasco. And please save me the speech about a second installation path. I know. I know. I know. I know. I know.

If you have had to re-install I guess you have now not chosen the default path?  If so you shouldn't have any further issues.  If you are still in the default path, leave the beta alone.  You could purchase the steam version and click one button to enter the beta and do nothing to leave it.

  • Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...