Sign in to follow this  
Guest blsfly214

I want to make a career move in to airport management. Any suggestions?

After some soul searching, I have decided that I might need to make a career change of sorts.A couple years ago, I graduated with a BA in Political Science from the University of Michigan. While I was in school, I always planned to move to DC. I ended up interning in DC and I spent 6 months there working for an grassroots organization. The problem was that I met a woman, who I am now married to, my last semester in school. She is in Law School here in Detroit so I had to move back. Since my area of expertise (I use that term very loosely) is foreign affairs, there are not many jobs here in Detroit in that industry.I thought about going back in to sales but I really don't think I will be happy. I accumulated 10 years of experience in B2B sales/customer service/management prior to going back to college. Since my wife will be an attorney in the next two years, I really want something that I will enjoy. I want a career, not just a job.Even before I thought about a aviation related career, I considered going back to school to get a Masters in Public Administration. The more I think about it, I really want my career to be in Airport Management since it is related to public administration but it focuses on my true passion: aviation. Ideally, I would love to be a FBO GM at some point. At this point, I would be very happy servicing clients at an FBO just to get in the door. When I worked in DC, I had an opportunity to fly a Lear 55 a couple times and I really enjoyed working with the people at the various FBO's that we visited.So, now to the question. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to go about it? Do I need to get a Masters degree first or are there opportunities available for people with my background? Are there any websites that you think would be helpful? Or better yet, does anybody know of an open position that I would be qualified for in the Detroit area?Sorry for the long post but this is a big decision for me and I really want to figure out if this is a viable career path. Any information that you can provide would be very helpful and sincerely appreciated.Since I am obsessed with aviation, and I am one of those people that loves to get to the airport extra early, I couldn't imagine a better place to work.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I am not sure how much $$ there is in being a GM in an FBO - what I usually saw were retired pilots running such operations and being paid very little (or it was their own small business). But don't take my word for it - head to you nearest GA airport and talk to people, you may actually make some friends and eventually land a job. Not sure if degree in Public Administration is the right tool for career you have in mind - if you go to the websites of some top aeronautical colleges in this country (Embry Riddle Aeronautical University is one of them) they actually offer courses and degrees in Aviation Business Administration and Aviation Management. I think all well paid jobs in aviation/airport management require some sort of specialized training/degree. If you truly want a "career" you would probably have to invest some time and money in education in this area. Good luck.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gifhttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Guest blsfly214

I felt like you did not too long ago. I got a degree in computer science for some odd reason. Problem was, I hated it with a passion. But after I graduated I got lucky and got a job programming on an early prototype of a g1000 in Ohio. That job made me realize how desperately I wanted to fly. When my contract was over with that job, I threw all my clothes in my car and started driving to Florida. I figured that was the best place to learn to fly. When I got there I got a job programming. It was good money but it wasn't flying. Everyday I felt like I was digging my self deeper and deeper into this rut that I wouldn't be able to get out of. So I quit. Threw my clothes in my car and headed west. I ended up homeless in SO CAL. At least I had my car to sleep in. One month later I found a small company that built flight simulators. Now I work with them. I love my job. And to top it all off, they are teaching how to fly for free. Ok, point is, do whatever it takes to find your happiness. Its out there somewhere.good luck