Sign in to follow this  
Banfi

In game flight planner/landing route

Dear friends.

I would appreciate your assistance regarding the in game planning/navigating tool. I am beginner in MSFS, so please understand my strange question. For expert colleagues it may sound ridiculous, but when I make my flight plan I get a straight route, and always have trouble with properly prepare myself in advance for landing (I would expect the landing route take in to account the curve you have made to descend slowly and prepare for touch down), basically with descending approach as the route does not show details regarding the final approach. How can I plan this route ahead? My question is which flight planner for MSFS 2020 that I can use in VR mode would take into account and “draw” the landing route, with possibly necessary data (recommended speed, altitude …). Thank you for your help.

• Like 1

Hello, I am not using MFS2020. I fly the Zibo 737 on X-Plane 11. First, are you flying an airliner ? If that’s not the case my entire message is worthless. You said that you entered your flight plan, so I assume you entered the waypoints sid star and runway on the FMC. After that, you need to press execute. Normally, after you did that, if there’s no discontinuity, you are supposed to have a rout that is not completely strate. Also, when you configure the FMC, you need to enter your flight altitude. That will allow the plane to calculate the vertical profile. Don’t forget to execute. If you go on the legs page of the FMC, you are supposed to see every waypoints that you entered as well as every waypoints that makes your SID STAR and approach. Besides each waypoints your supposed to see the altitude that the plane will reach that waypoint as well as other useful informations. When you fly and you presse VNAV, the plane will automatically follow the vertical profile. On your ND (navigation display) your supposed to see a green dot with the letters TOD on it that’s your top of decent. Basically, it’s the place that you need to start your decent. You should prepare your approach 30 minutes before top of decent. If you want to plan your route in advance, I recommend using sim brief. It’s an amazing website that generates very realistic flight plans. When you make a flight plan on sim brief, there is a page that shows your vertical routing it can be useful if you want to plan it in advance. 

Keep in mind that I am a Boeing guy, so things I said might be a bit different if you are flying an Airbus and completely different if your flying general aviation. Have a nice day.

• Like 1

If you fly small airplane with GPS (G1000 or G550 etc), you can also do very similar things as above in the GPS system, maybe google to see how to set up an approach in those GPS system.

Another way is simply pick a nice day, visual the airport like 10nm away, and join the pattern visually to line up the airport, that's enough room for even big airliner.

• Like 1

Been away and just now found your extremely useful and helpful advice. I am not that advanced so far, but my goal is to improve. I am not brave and experienced yet to fly airliners, but all procedures explained are calling for engagement. Study, this is what I have to do. Thank you both for your answers

A rough rule of thumb is to allow yourself three miles distance for every 1,000 feet you want to descend.

So, if you're cruising at 2,000 feet and your airport is a sea level, start your descent 6 miles from the airport.

If you're cruising at 35,000 feet and your airport is a sea level, start your descent 105 miles from the airport.

You can always add a bit more.