Sign in to follow this  
teropa

2D panel undocking and saving in WINDOWED mode - not working

Guest gregul

Maybe we should start another topic about this problem with a new title containing "Phil Taylor"... seems to work for other issues... ;-)Greg

Guest RonB49

I've been thinking about responding to this thread a lot and since it just keeps hangin' on, here goes. You'll get some idea of how old I am by reading this too.In the early to mid 1960s I was in the television sales and service business in Central Illinois. In those days, only 3% of TV stations were broadcasting on the UHF band. In order to promote UHF, the FCC had decreed that all receivers had to be equipped with UHF tuners and they were rather crude and beset by problems.As luck would have it, most of that 3% coverage was Central Illinois; the cities of Springfield, Decatur, and Peoria boasted UHF stations only. So those of us in the service business had our hands full trying to make tuners work that were poorly designed and cheaply made.During this time, RCA held a service seminar in Peoria. I don't remember the subject of the training that they presented but it was probably something about color TV because in those days most sets were B&W and color TV was the "next big thing." A group of us decided that we were going to try to get answers to the UHF problems that we were experiencing. So when the floor was thrown open to question, we asked, one after another, not about color TV but rather when RCA was going to fix its UHF tuner problem.The moderator listened to each question and answered each question the same, to wit: "RCA does not have a UHF problem." And in fact, he was right! With 97% of RCA's customers never using the UHF tuner, RCA did not have a UHF problem. Only our customers (3%) had a UHF problem.I suspect the same rule applies here. A small percentage of us use multiple monitors and some of us have found workarounds that make the current situation acceptable if not ideal. An even smaller group have real problems that they cannot tolerate. But Microsoft and ACES probably don't consider that they have a multi-monitor problem. If Phil or anyone else from ACES came here and said that, they'd be booed off the forum, just like we booed the RCA guy right off the stage. The history class is dismissed. :)R-EDIT -- caws I cant spel. R-

Guest Bud

Nice one. Homespun wisdom at its best. I think you are probably right as well in the point that you make, certainly as seen by Aces and MS. However, where I do disagree - in a very gentle way 'cos I'm probably even older than you are and us 'mature' folks shouldn't disagree in front of all these young 'uns - is on the question of percentages. I'm not at all convinced that the number of simmers using multi-mons is particularly small. To me this seems to be an area which has expanded greatly in the time of FS9 and FSX. If that were not the case, I would suggest that this thread would have died a death some little while ago.I suppose I'm in the very small minority category as a home cockpit builder. I genuinely do not expect that the sim should be built around my own specific needs, and I always anticipate that various compromises have to be made. What I do look for, however, is a wee bit of straightforwardness about an issue which has been pretty much standard in the last versions of the sim and around which I did not expect a problem.Bud

Guest RonB49

"I'm not at all convinced that the number of simmers using multi-mons is particularly small. To me this seems to be an area which has expanded greatly in the time of FS9 and FSX. If that were not the case, I would suggest that this thread would have died a death some little while ago."I count only about 17 names of individual contributors on this thread and some of those were one-time courtesy bumps. Don't get me wrong Bud, I'd like to see this issue addressed. In fact, I think it was addressed in the FSX demo. I say this because I had placed a question about multiMon in the FS9 Forum before the release of the FSX Demo. Someone from MS (I recall it being TDragger) said that it would be better in FSX and it was -- in the Demo. I almost started a "Thank you" thread but never got around to it, then the RTM was released and my hopes were dashed. R-

Guest Bud

That's very interesting. Didn't see the particular thread you mention. In that case, I now wonder what happened between the finalisation of the demo and the release of the final product.Bud

Guest Arry

And in this case I can't understand, why they don't give us an answer and/or fix the problem.If it was working - and it worked in the FS versions before - it couldn't be a big problem for them.Arry

Guest pdxbulldog

Off topic - but I posted over at the hardware forum because I'm getting crashes in multi monitor mode - hard crashes, the monitor resets. This seems like a group of pretty hard core mm users. I have a Nvidia 7950 running the latest drivers. What cards are you folks running and what drivers are most stable? The crash ususally happens 1) right at the start of the flight, 2) right after re-setting a setting like weather or time of day that requires reloading the situation. Thanks.Colin in Portland.

Guest Arry

Hello,Phil, I really like the way and the competence, you are showing in many threads.But why don't you give us an answer for our problem ?? In my opinion it is a severe failure in FSX, that the FS doesn't "remember" the positions of windows, that are arranged on different screens. There was no problem before in FS9 and in fSX Demo.Why now ?Help is really needed !!Really hoping, that you will keep an eye on this thread in the near future.RegardsArryP.S.: Colin, please don't "water" this thread. Open a new one

Guest Arry

Hello Phil,I just ask for an answer.Is that too much ?If you don't have the time for it, just tell that.ArryP.S.: The MS Flight Simulator is my favorite from the very first day (more than 20 years ago)

Arry,You have to realize I have both a day job and a family. The forum and community work I do is "extra" and on top of the day job.And its just not possible for one person to know every bit of FS. I honestly dont know about this issue and havent investigated, I have been swamped with FSX-DX10 and the other studio activities as well as investigating the other 3 issues I have commented on ( OOM, Blurries, w-key ) so thats why I havent replied to this thread and dont really have an answer. I'll ask around, but I am making no promises.Phil

Guest jimcooper1

Phil,thanks for taking the time to reply. Please be assured that we do appreciate the time and effort you put into this outside of your normal working day. You have my deepest admiration and thanks for the whole Flight Sim experience. I've worked in the aviation industry for over 20 years and MS FS2004 and FSX are phenomenal products.Family first Phil!!RegardsJim

Guest Arry

Hello Phil,thanks for your answer.I never had any doubt, that you are working hard and that you are sitting on different chairs.What I wanted to point out, was, that there is a big problem for multimonitor users and cockpitbuilders.As I have to rearrange at least 5 windows every time I load a saved flight, I wanted to know, why this problem exists. It wasn't there before.Now I am glad, that you noticed this problem and I hope for a solution.I don't blame you for that of course and I really appreciate your engagement for the FS community.Best regards and take time for your familyArryP.S.: If you need a multimonitor tester the next time, you should take me into consideration. I am flying and fiddling around with the FS every day: with 4 computers, five views on 5 32" displays and 4 19" displays for the instruments and/or GPS/Movin Maps.

Guest Bud

PhilLike others, I too appreciate your response. It would be useful if you could ask around because, clearly, something happened between the release of the final demo and the finished product, if previous posts are correct.I also feel that it would be a good idea to expand the test team to take account of the needs of folks like home cockpit builders. This is not the only issue which has presented problems and all of these things could be picked up at an early stage by someone who uses a home cockpit or a multi monitor system of some sort.Bud