Sign in to follow this  
LouP

run as administrator

When I try to launch msfs as I always have, I get stuck on an update screen that does not change and the sim never starts up.  If I run as administrator, it seems to run fine.  I would like to start as before since running as administrator effects the marketplace for some reason.  Anyone see this on their systems and is there a way to fix it short of a re-install?

Thanks, LouP

Not sure Lou, but I felt that my sim ran a bit better using run as admin as have a few others.  Smoothness is difficult to quantify though, so I can't really confirm, but I will continue to run this way for a week or two, then revert if any issues arise.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I don't know if there's a fix because I've never sought one, but I have a similar issue that I've always just worked around. Basically:

If I run "as admin," I can download things (updates, purchased products, etc.) without any issues. HOWEVER, I cannot purchase from the store if I run as admin. That means on the infrequent occasion I buy something, I run the sim normally, buy the product, exit the sim, then run again as admin to download it. 

It's very odd, but I buy so little via marketplace that I just always run as admin and never run into issues.

This brings up a question, I am the only User on my PC and am the Admin also, the same User. I have always wondered if "Run as Administrator" in fact does anything different. I just did a flight with it clicked and couldn't tell any difference but my flights are always smooth anyway, so it is hard to tell.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

15 hours ago, Mikeingreen said:

This brings up a question, I am the only User on my PC and am the Admin also, the same User. I have always wondered if "Run as Administrator" in fact does anything different. I just did a flight with it clicked and couldn't tell any difference but my flights are always smooth anyway, so it is hard to tell.

if you are using an administrator account on Windows, not every application needs full administrator permissions. In fact, that’s bad for security—your web browser shouldn’t have full access to your entire operating system. User Account Control (UAC) limits the permissions that applications have, even when you launch them from an administrator account.

When you use “Run as Administrator,” UAC gets out of the way, and the application is run with full administrator access to everything on your system.

So when you run an app as an administrator, it means you are giving the app special permissions to access restricted parts of your Windows 10 system that would otherwise be off-limits. This brings potential dangers, but it is also sometimes necessary for certain programs to work correctly.

...jim

• Like 2

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.