Sign in to follow this  
ilpagaia

Runway selection - close runway

Is there a way to close a runway for takeoff/landing or to change the runway selection logic?

For example, at LIMC runways 17 are used only for a few days in a year but in the sim, more or less, always ..

Is there a way to avoid some specific runway from the sim?

Thanks
Stefano

Literally closing a rwy is not possible but you can always avoid a specific runway „manually“. If you refer to ATC rwy assignments then iirc they cannot be changed for takeoff, only alternative rwy for landing can be requested from ATC if available and possible. 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Agree - I simply ignore the "assigned" runway from the default ATC - it is wrong about 90% of the time.

Randall Rocke

12 hours ago, RandallR said:

Agree - I simply ignore the "assigned" runway from the default ATC - it is wrong about 90% of the time.

It's true, we're able to ignore the assigned runway ... but AI traffic can't do that.
That's the problem...

Understood - since I don't use AI this is not an issue for me, but I know that it is important for many.  I certainly hope that this is a major bug item for MS/Asobo as it affects AI, VATSIM, Multiplayer and other operations.

It's amazing to me that this wasn't addressed at the very beginning, but as it is also connected to the ATC system (which I believe will eventually be addressed by WT) I can understand (a little) why it's been delayed.  My question would be: as proper runway selection based on the prevailing wind alone affects so many areas, why in the world hasn't this one item been addressed?

Randall Rocke

Is there no way to close runways in the bgl scenery like with ADE? Like you were able to do in FS9/FSX/P3D?

a runway can be marked as closed, but the ATC will still assign it.

This was already an issue with FSX and the current ATC / AI traffic seems like a more or less exact copy of it.

For larger airports the active runways could be easily figured out by analysing live traffic data. Ideally the sim should support rules per airport, based on time, wind direction and perhaps a few other parameters but that's just wishful thinking.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5