Sign in to follow this  
MarcG

"we know 10% of you play pretty much exclusively in VR" - JN

As vague and lacklustre as their responses to VR questions in recent Q&As have been I think this quote is pretty telling....and it's been eating at me for some time, just exactly where is he getting the 10% from? Of course for starters he is privy to the numbers, only he and the team know for sure, but it begs the question and some details are a missing from his quote.

So to dig deeper; Is the 10% from....

• All MSFS users including Xbox, the latter of which of course does not have VR
  • Purely PC users across both MS Store & Steam
  • PC users but on only one platform (MS Store or Steam)

But that is not all, how is the VR number generated;

• From the moment MSFS is fired up and a VR device is already connected
  • From sometime during the Menu screen when VR is enabled by the user
  • From sometime during the Flight when VR is enabled by the user

Any one of those above combinations could swing results massively in one way, include Xbox users and the percentage of course would dramatically drop, include both MS Store & Steam users and you'll get close to the actual percentage. Enable VR when in the Cockpit and it doesn't register with his number and that wipes out a lot of users....there's too many combinations that could adversely affect the result for me.

Is this important? Nah probably not, but as above their lacklustre response and clearly obvious naivety towards VR begs the question for me.

(source) https://uploadvr.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-vr-players/

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Well, those are all good questions which none of us can answer,

and to be honest, the 10% figure is higher than I would have thought. My guess is that the real number is actually lower and JN was just being polite.

I also guess that VR related stuff on Youtube is not even reaching 1% of all flightsim vids out there. which is not really helping our case.

Perhaps, when Xbox releases VR things will change for the better.

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

10-15% according to Jorg in the latest Q&A, it'll probably have to hit 50% before he opens his eyes to the issues his team have created and actually get them fixed alongside adding new features!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I kind of get it that they don‘t prioritize VR (although personally I find it a shame), but what does my head in are the regressions and bugs that take ages to get sorted. It‘s not only a VR problem, it‘s a general tendency, but when it comes to VR it‘s even worse. 

• Like 2

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

I'm just glad that the sim supports VR, in what I consider is a useable state.  Remember that VR wasn't always supported, and support came out sooner than initially thought.  Sure, there's lots of darts to throw at MSFS; and I agree: my biggest gripes aren't even related to VR. 

• Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

41 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I'm just glad that the sim supports VR, in what I consider is a useable state. 

+1!

I just got a VR headset and Holy Gucamole Batman, it's so friggin' cool! 😎 I now understand why some people only fly in VR. The 2D sim looks ridiculously fake after VR. And my HMD is kind of a budget offering. A high end one would be amazeballs. 

• Like 5

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

10 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I'm just glad that the sim supports VR, in what I consider is a useable state.  Remember that VR wasn't always supported, and support came out sooner than initially thought.  Sure, there's lots of darts to throw at MSFS; and I agree: my biggest gripes aren't even related to VR. 

Precisely, it was a blatantly rushed implementation after initially not being included at all. Yes we can be very thankful we've got it (I too love it), but the fact remains it's not progressed anywhere near well enough - over a year to get World Scale when they had a VR team (should've been included from the start), the absolute fiasco of SU7 update, SU12s scaling issues/feature that went completely uncommunicated, regression bugs still not fixed....those are just some of the examples and that's where my personal frustration lies.

They had a VR team, they disbanded it long ago and we've got nothing since. The recent Q&A was was just another rehash of exactly what they said over a year ago on another Q&A "oh yeah VR is important but we don't have a VR team anymore so it's low priority" so it's NOT important then is it #FacePalm

Of course other areas are also severely lacking still; ATC, AI, other regression bugs they've not fixed. It's not all about VR I totally understand that, there's a clear strategy to market & sell to keep the MS bigwigs happy but that comes at the expense of players and it needs to change but I doubt it ever will.

In essence I cannot see any fundamental improvements or fixes to old VR bugs within the next 2-3 years at least, Jorg/Martial will rinse & repeat in the future Q&As when prodded you watch!

In the MSFS multiverse VR is the crippled stepbrother of XBox who's lucky just to get table scraps, if there happens to be any.  😟

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)