Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

TDS GTNXi and A/P logic

Hi everyone,

Because I have ever mostly used VOR navigation and classic Autopilot, I have completely forgotten the logic for using a GPS coupled with the A/P.

In this case the GPS is the TDS GTNXi and the aicraft is the JustFlight Piper Warrior 2.

I have entered a flight plan in the GPS and I want the A/P to fly the aircraft so that it follows the magenta line.

As I remember, there are 4 fours areas which need to be set/actioned.

What should I do in each area?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

- TONY -

Box 1 (the autopilot) set to NAV (although this will be the last of these 4 actions, once in the air with AP ON)

Box 2 (the NAV/GPS switch) set to GPS

Box 3 (The CDI source in the 750) set to GPS (may be linked automatically to the above Box 2 setting)

Box 4 (The 750's settings): Set the top field to NAV, not Heading, as is currently set.

Good luck, Capn' !

Edited by JYW
  • Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Oh man the Warrior has APR mode?  Not even the Turbo Arrows has that grrrrr....  They have a stupid single axis AP.

Maybe someday they'll drop that AP into the Arrows

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Oh man the Warrior has APR mode?  Not even the Turbo Arrows has that grrrrr....  They have a stupid single axis AP.

The AP in the JF Warrier is single axis too.   It just has a slightly more modern control head than the Pipercontrol unit in the JF Archer.   But still only lateral mode buttons.....

spacer.png

......with the strange addition of APPR mode (not sure how an otherwise single axis AP could mysteriously manage GS mode - when it doesn't even have ALT HOLD - but it does work in the sim 🙂  

I argee, the Arrow could really do with an AP upgrade.  Be great if they put a GFC600 in there!

Edited by JYW

Bill

4 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

You sure got my permission to proceed! 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

8 hours ago, JYW said:

Box 3 (The CDI source in the 750) set to GPS (may be linked automatically to the above Box 2 setting)

Many thanks Bill, much appreciated.

The issue I have is when I click on the CDI source in the 750, it goes briefly to GPS, then revert to VLOC.

- TONY -

3 hours ago, Simicro said:

The issue I have is when I click on the CDI source in the 750, it goes briefly to GPS, then revert to VLOC.

It sounds like the 750 CDI mode is conflicting with the physical NAV/GPS switch.   Did you set that NAV/GPS switch to GPS, prior to attempting to change the 750 over to GPS?   Also, check (not at the FS PC right now) - I think there is an option in the GTN's settings to link the 750's CDI mode to the physical NAV/GPS switch in a plane.  

• Like 1

Bill

3 hours ago, Simicro said:

As you see, there are two NAV/GPS toggles in this panel, one will follow the other.

Try to set the actual NAV/GPS switch to GPS and see what the GTN does.

• Like 1

Bert

12 hours ago, JYW said:

Box 4 (The 750's settings): Set the top field to NAV, not Heading, as is currently set.

Also set "Connect GPS to VOR", to VOR1

• Like 1

Bert

Thanks both, I have tried your recommandations. The actual NAV/GPS has no effect on the GTN, but reversely the CDI button on the GTN commands the actual NAV/GPS.

Connect GPS to VOR", to VOR1: done.

I don't achieve to get 'GPS' displayed on the GTN.

- TONY -

I don't know why but I installed the TDS for the Carenado Mooney and now it works.

Maybe there's some kind of conflict with the dual configuration 750/650 in the JustFlight Piper.

EDIT1 : apparently I'm not alone, I found a thread to read on the TDS forum  http://forum.tdssim.com/thread-166.html

EDIT2 : the issue is related to the State Saving function of the Just Flight Piper

Thanks to all.

Edited by Simicro

- TONY -

2 hours ago, Simicro said:

I don't know why but I installed the TDS for the Carenado Mooney and now it works.

Maybe there's some kind of conflict with the dual configuration 750/650 in the JustFlight Piper.

EDIT1 : apparently I'm not alone, I found a thread to read on the TDS forum  http://forum.tdssim.com/thread-166.html

EDIT2 : the issue is related to the State Saving function of the Just Flight Piper

Thanks to all.

Great stuff.  It's good that you know it was an issue with that specific plane now, and not anything you were doing incorrectly 👍

• Like 2

Bill

A new version (1.0.1.8)  of the TDS GTNXi released today provides a fix to the Autopilot/GPS issue with the Just Flight Pipers.

• Like 1

- TONY -