Sign in to follow this  
tup61

How to set expected QNH while still at STD?

17 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

So... not in the original post, which the OP stated no one had addressed. 

I addressed it. You see? 

Oh My, Oh My.....  LOL    😁

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

6 hours ago, tup61 said:

LOL Thanks for the (I suppose) copy and paste but I know all that. Maybe a mod can lock this topic because this all is going nowhere and certainly not in the direction I wanted it to go. 😂 My goodness, how a little simple question can lead to 4 pages of replies that have nothing to do with my question thanks to people not reading. 😜

Indeed this was a painful thread to read.  

I think I remember a real airbus pilot discuss this during a stream a while back...can't remember which one or when though.  Indeed during decent there was no way to pre-select the QNH similar to Boeing.  What was done IRL is vertical speed pulled during decent when cleared to an altitude, set QNH, and then slowly adjust V/S until the green dot path was captured again to avoid the abrupt pitch changes you have mentioned.  Once green dot profile was captured, managed decent could be reengaged.  

Edited by rjack1282
  • Like 1

Ryan

20 minutes ago, rjack1282 said:

Indeed this was a painful thread to read.  

I think I remember a real airbus pilot discuss this during a stream a while back...can't remember which one or when though.  Indeed during decent there was no way to pre-select the QNH similar to Boeing.  What was done IRL is vertical speed pulled during decent when cleared to an altitude, set QNH, and then slowly adjust V/S until the green dot path was captured again to avoid the abrupt pitch changes you have mentioned.  Once green dot profile was captured, managed decent could be reengaged.  

Exactly - and as already suggested by @ckyliu on page 3:

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

3 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

Exactly - and as already suggested by @ckyliu on page 3:

Yes that is partially correct but needs the bit I added about recapturing profile while in V/S.  If you quickly pull V/S, set the QNH, and then push for managed, the plane will do the same abrupt pitch change as soon as you push to go back into managed descent.

• Like 1

Ryan

8 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Oh My, Oh My.....  LOL    😁

Bob, my post was mostly joking, hence the smiley.  But when you have to explain the joke, it mostly falls flat ;).

But in fairness, the original query was somewhat aircraft non-specific.  In the the third post, he did say it was an airbus "in his case", which sort of suggested we were talking about other types of aircraft as well. 

But, my bad for trying to be helpful on avsim.  It's still probably marginally better than reddit... but only marginally. At least on reddit, they don't delete posts poking good-natured fun of the platform... right @micstatic?   😁

Andrew Crowley