Sign in to follow this  
Fragtality

Introducing Pilot's Deck, a StreamDeck Plugin (for MSFS)

Hello Captains,

I have programmed a StreamDeck-Plugin because I couldn't find anything which suited my needs. The Result was and is "Pilot's Deck" which has already some happy Users in the Prepar3D Community for some time now.
With MSFS "touched down" on my PC I could test my Plugin with MSFS2020. It was directly working but was missing Hvar Support before. Now that this has changed with Version 0.7.0, I want to make it bit more known 🙂 

It connects via FSUIPC to the Sim, so it support MSFS2020 (FSUIPC7) and Prepar3D v4 & v5 (FSUIPC6) at the same time. Older Simulator-Versions would also be possible with their according FSUIPC Version installed (not tested).
Since it is a "normal Plugin" (does not use the Deck exclusively) you can mix and combine it with every other StreamDeck Plugin at the same time. Therefore it also supports every StreamDeck-Type at the same time (although I have no confirmation on the Mobile/App Variant).
The Plugin Supports multiple ways to trigger Things in the Sim (Lua-Scripts, Controls/Events, Offsets, Lvars, Hvars, FSUIPCs vJoys and vJoyDriver) and can read from any Offset and Lvar Value. So it can offer "dynamic" Buttons on the StreamDeck to represent the State of a Control on the Deck (Text or Graphical Representation). It is designed to be highly customizable and flexible for it to be configured and tweaked the way you want.
The whole Configuration / Mapping is done via the StreamDeck UI (the PropertyInspector of each Action) and the Actions behave like any other "normal Action". You change and arrange everything on the fly.
It is targeted for the "advanced FSUIPC User", so a basic Knowledge on what and how you can do with FSUIPC and how you can interface with an Aircraft is recommended. But not necessary, it's a good Opportunity to learn 😉 

Without further ado, here the link to the Project: https://github.com/Fragtality/PilotsDeck
The Readme is very extensive and should explain all Features and how it is installed and used. Take you're time reading it, I've took my Time to describe everything as detailed as possible 😅
For Full MSFS-Support you need at least Version 0.7.0 and at least FSUIPC 7.3.6 (with WASM) installed! A registered Version of FSUIPC is not strictly necessary, but highly recommended to use the full Potential.

Here an Example Image of what it can look like:
Example01.png?raw=true

But you can give it a complete different "visual Style" through Configuration, Fonts and different Images!

Some pre-build / pre-configured StreamDeck Profiles for some Airplanes are available under Integrations. Even if you don't have an Aircraft (or that Sim) you can still use these as Examples on what and how it can be done!
For MSFS2020 there is currently: Fenix A320, PMDG 737-700 and FBW A32NX (although the FBW API tries to make it unnecessary complex -.-) 

If you have any Problems and Suggestions, feel free to contact me!

Happy Landings! 🙂 

• Like 5

*Version Bump*

v7.0.1 released:

• Added some new Korry-Images for Busses
  • Added a black and round Switch Image
  • "Display Gauge" can now trigger Sim-Actions / can be mapped as other Buttons (both Single and Dual Gauges)
  • The Base Color of the Bar/Arc can be now changed based on another Variable/Value

Thanks for this. Wasn't aware of it until now so will check it out hopefully this weekend.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Version Bump

v0.7.2 released:

• Possible Workaround for SU10 Beta Lvar Issues
  • Fixed Gauge PIs: Input Fields for On/Off Value not showing up when Action Type LVAR is selected

For the Lvar Workaround: Change the Option "Fsuipc7LegacyLvars" to "true" in the PilotsDeck.dll.config File (and restart the StreamDeck Software). When a fixed/compatible Version of FSUIPC7 was released, change it back to "false".

@Donka: you're welcome, hope you're enjoying it 🙂 

Edited by Fragtality

*Version Bump*

Version 0.7.3 Released!

MSFS SU10 Compatibility:
- Compiled against FSUIPC 7.3.9h Beta (available in the FSUIPC Forum)

X-Plane Support:
- The Plugin now connects directly to X-Plane via WebSocket
- DataRefs can directly be entered (Commands, Value Access for read/write) 
- Profile Switching is supported based on the Livery Path

Comparisons:
- Value Mappings now support multiple Comparisons (greater/lesser) and can be mixed with discrete Mappings (equality)
- Values used for Image display can also be expressed as a comparison, e.g. ">=0.3"

Fenix PilotsDeck Integration:
- Added more Switches & Buttons
- Updated to new Icons (Black/Round)
- GSX Integration
- Updated for SU10

*Version Bump* 

Version 0.7.4 Released:

- Updated C# Client to current Version (should fix some connections Issues)
- Bugfix for DataRefs not updating on the Deck when used more than once

• Like 1

No, I wasn't aware of that to be honest ^^

Don't know if I'm going to buy it, does not look like great price-to-value for me. Sure the 4 Knobs would be really really great for a FCU / MCP, but it really has only that. Besides that you're paying nearly XL-Deck money for less keys than the normal StreamDeck?! This LCD is only a very fancy and less usable alternative to 4 Buttons. It's the same illness you see in most Cars these Days - some Use-Cases just don't fit well with a touchpad.
My Opinion: get a XL first. More Buttons with higher Resolution are more worth it than putting that money in 4 Knobs and 4 "meh" Buttons.

Besides that, even I would have that Plus-Deck: there is exactly zero documentation in the SDK yet. So if and how these Knobs (and the LCD) can be used by Plugins is not clear yet.

Towards the end of the year I'll maybe find the time to include Support for it (under the Assumption Elgato updates the SDK / Documentation till then ...)
If some Plugin-User has that Deck: Drop me a PM if you're like to volunteer for Beta-Testing in that Time-Frame 😉

Hi, I already use the stream deck for the H145. I've downloaded your software but in the appdata my elgato does not have a folder called plugins!  Under stream deck it has folders for cache and QtWebEngine. Do I make a folder and place the contents of the zip into it?

I use fsuipc7 for fixed wing and profiles for 1, 2, 3 and four engines. Will I have to redo everything, as it took months to set it up with a complete set of Thrustmaster controllers

Thanks in anticipation

Martin

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

3 hours ago, sauviat said:

Hi, I already use the stream deck for the H145.

You mean like the Airbus Helicopter H145? What are you using currently to interface with the StreamDeck?

I've downloaded your software but in the appdata my elgato does not have a folder called plugins!  Under stream deck it has folders for cache and QtWebEngine. Do I make a folder and place the contents of the zip into it?

So
%appdata%\Elgato\StreamDeck
does not have a Plugins folder? That's strange, I've just made a clean Installation in a Win10 VM and it had a Plugins folder. Did you installed it normally - meaning not "as admin"? If installed "as admin": can't recommend that, it is absolutely not necessary and could lead to problems.

But sure, you can try to create that Plugins Folder and install PilotsDeck like described!

I use fsuipc7 for fixed wing and profiles for 1, 2, 3 and four engines. Will I have to redo everything, as it took months to set it up with a complete set of Thrustmaster controllers

I can't follow you on that Question 😕

So guessing / explaining into the blue:
PilotsDeck uses FSUIPC "only" as a Connector to MSFS (and P3D, FSX). The whole Binding is done in the StreamDeck Software, via the Property Inspector on the PilotsDeck Actions. FSUIPC does not recognize the StreamDeck Buttons as Joystick Buttons with that Plugin. Normally that is, you can also configure that the Buttons behave as FSUIPC vJoy or as vJoy Driver Buttons - if you want to do the Binding within FSUIPC. These two Action-Types can be useful for some use-cases, but would be too complicated and cumbersome as a general approach (imho).
So except these two vJoy options, FSUIPC Profiles do not have any Influence on the PilotsDeck Actions and vice versa. The configured Action is executed regardless which FSUIPC Profile is currently loaded. The only Thing where the FSUIPC Profiles are used by my Plugin (if wanted): To automatically switch StreamDeck Profiles based on the currently loaded FSUIPC Profile.

So the Answer is kind of "no and yes".
No, you won't have to redo everything just because installing that Plugin - it does not really care about FSUIPC Profiles and therefore the FSUIPC Profiles don't need to be changed (even if you want to use the Profile Switching).
Yes, you will do have some kind of work: you'll need to configure the PilotsDeck Actions to tell them what should be triggered (and how) as well where the current state of a Control can be read.

Also note, if you use Spad.Next: They can't be used in parallel, they're a mutually exclusive. Spad is not acting as a StreamDeck Plugin, it replaces the StreamDeck Software (bad design decision imho, but hey). AAO and PilotsDeck on the other Hand can be used in parallel, respectively PilotsDeck can be used like any other StreamDeck Plugin - you can mix and match as you like.

15 hours ago, Fragtality said:

You mean like the Airbus Helicopter H145? What are you using currently to interface with the StreamDeck?

Yes, it is with Lorbys.

15 hours ago, Fragtality said:

So
%appdata%\Elgato\StreamDeck
does not have a Plugins folder? That's strange, I've just made a clean Installation in a Win10 VM and it had a Plugins folder. Did you installed it normally - meaning not "as admin"? If installed "as admin": can't recommend that, it is absolutely not necessary and could lead to problems.

But sure, you can try to create that Plugins Folder and install PilotsDeck like described!

Purchased direct from Elgato and installed as per their instructions.

Don't use Spad.Next. I will play with your software over time and see where we go.

Thanks

Martin

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Made a folder for Plugins and placed com.extension.pilotsdeck.sdPlugin in it. Nothing is happening, even ran PilotsDeck.exe from the plugin but nothing has happened. What should I see?

Thanks

Martin

Martin Parr

Running the Executable on it's own won't do anything - it has no Window and directly crashes if it is not called by the StreamDeck Software.

What is expected to happen after the Plugin is installed and the StreamDeck Software is restarted:
- You should see the available PilotsDeck Actions on the right Side of the StreamDeck UI (-> means the Plugin and its manifest.json was recognized, so the Folder is correctly placed)
- The Binary (PilotsDeck.exe) should be running (-> means the .NET Requirements for the Executable are met)
- When you go on any PilotsDeck Action and the Property Inspector is displayed: the Dropdown Fields (like Action Type or Images) should be populated (-> means it is not blocked by Windows and/or other Security Software)

17 hours ago, Fragtality said:

- You should see the available PilotsDeck Actions on the right Side of the StreamDeck UI (-> means the Plugin and its manifest.json was recognized, so the Folder is correctly placed)

Not seeing anything to do with PilotsDeck on the StreamDeck UI.

Thanks

Martin

Edited by sauviat

Martin Parr