Sign in to follow this  
lirot

SDK: modellib suddenly not working!

Hey,

I have a big problem with the SDK.

I had already imported some models successfully and put them into a custom scenery, but then yesterday I had the following problem:

I created about 4-5 new models and converted them for MSFS (as usual) and put them in my modellib. Everything as usual. I loaded my scenery as always in the editor and did a "build all" so that the new models are also imported and displayed. They were. However, the new objects were selectable in the list, but not visible in the scenery - even during placement I did not hold any object in my hand via "one-click-add", although I did not change anything in my build and import process. I then did a "Clear all" and "Build all", in the process MSFS crashed for the first time since I've been building scenery. I then immediately reopened MSFS and all my custom objects were gone from the scenery and the list of objects no longer appeared in the Objects window. I have now tried everything to make the objects visible again - nothing has worked, except that if I convert the models all over again and put them under a new name in modellib, they show up again. However, the same thing then happened again after the 5th or so model and now my entire modellib has disappeared from the Objects view again. I am absolutely at a loss. Is there a limit to customized objects in the modellib? Do you guys see a bug in my folder structure that I'm not noticing? I have no idea what to do or where the error is and I'm already thinking of abandoning my beautiful project that so much work has gone into. Please help! I already tried some possible fixes from reddit, all without any success (including changing the guid in the .xml of the certain 3d files).

Thanks in advance,

lirot

spacer.png

spacer.png

Try to select a material (a texture, any, a water texture for instance) and then add it to your project with the Material Editor inside the Scenery Editor, even if you're not going to use it. After adding the material to your material library hit "Build All", and all your 3D models (already placed in your ModelLib folder) should be on the list and visible in the Scenery Editor. This is happening after SU7, as far as I can remember.

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

37 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Try to select a material (a texture, any, a water texture for instance) and then add it to your project with the Material Editor inside the Scenery Editor, even if you're not going to use it. After adding the material to your material library hit "Build All", and all your 3D models (already placed in your ModelLib folder) should be on the list and visible in the Scenery Editor. This is happening after SU7, as far as I can remember.

Hey Ed, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how to proceed. I have now tried to create a new texture via Material Editor > File > New. That didn't work (I've never done it before either), but I think I generally misunderstood you there. How exactly do you mean I should add a new material to the Scenery Editor?

Edit: I don't know if that was what you meant, but I've now added a "materiallib" to my PackageSources and it also shows up in my project in SDK. But I still don't know how to add a material into the Scenery editor. After the creation of the custom material folder, I performed a build and everything still won't show up so I think I need further information.

Edited by lirot

28 minutes ago, lirot said:

Hey Ed, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I am not sure how to proceed. I have now tried to create a new texture via Material Editor > File > New. That didn't work (I've never done it before either), but I think I generally misunderstood you there. How exactly do you mean I should add a new material to the Scenery Editor?

Edit: I don't know if that was what you meant, but I've now added a "materiallib" to my PackageSources and it also shows up in my project in SDK. But I still don't know how to add a material into the Scenery editor. After the creation of the custom material folder, I performed a build and everything still won't show up so I think I need further information.

I would suggest looking to existing videos on YT on how to add a material to create a material library in the Scenery Editor. I think this one could help, but it's part of a sequence, so to better understand the overall process, you should be back to video 1 of the series:

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

19 minutes ago, edpatino said:

I would suggest looking to existing videos on YT on how to add a material to create a material library in the Scenery Editor. I think this one could help, but it's part of a sequence, so to better understand the overall process, you should be back to video 1 of the series:

Hey, thank you. I already watched this series and created a materiallib using the same method as shown in the video above. Also, I successfully loaded the materiallib into my scenery, but after "Build all" my models in modellib are still not showing up.

Use the console viewer (~) and after building your package see what errors come up. I see u have 2 models, try removing each one, (for eg remove the lgle22bin, 3d object and xml file) and leave the lglebeacon files, build and see if it shows up. If it didn’t, put back the lgle22 files, remove the beacon files , build the package and see . If one model is bad, the rest won’t show up. If that didn’t work, finally ensure all textures in the modellib and materiallib are divisible by 2 

• Like 2

Jonathon James

57 minutes ago, johnnycaptain said:

Use the console viewer (~) and after building your package see what errors come up. I see u have 2 models, try removing each one, (for eg remove the lgle22bin, 3d object and xml file) and leave the lglebeacon files, build and see if it shows up. If it didn’t, put back the lgle22 files, remove the beacon files , build the package and see . If one model is bad, the rest won’t show up. If that didn’t work, finally ensure all textures in the modellib and materiallib are divisible by 2 

I don't know what to say except for: THANK YOU! That finally worked! You saved my project and many working hours from being abandoned. So I did exactly what you recommended and it turned out, that my antenna-files for which I created the smallest power-of-two texture of only 2x2 caused the trouble and my whole modellib from being refused to load in my msfs sdk. I'm going to rework the antennas now and would recommend everyone to always proceed as described by Jonathon James (johnnycaptain) above, if having similar problems.

Again, thank you, Sir and have a beautiful week and flights.

Lirot

2 hours ago, lirot said:

I don't know what to say except for: THANK YOU! That finally worked! You saved my project and many working hours from being abandoned. So I did exactly what you recommended and it turned out, that my antenna-files for which I created the smallest power-of-two texture of only 2x2 caused the trouble and my whole modellib from being refused to load in my msfs sdk. I'm going to rework the antennas now and would recommend everyone to always proceed as described by Jonathon James (johnnycaptain) above, if having similar problems.

Again, thank you, Sir and have a beautiful week and flights.

Lirot

Glad to year, you're welcome! Good luck with the rest of the project.

• Like 1

Jonathon James

3 hours ago, darshonaut said:

I have the same thing happen. Scenery objects not becoming visible in the editor. I find it a 50% chance. if it doesnt work, I reboot the PC. next time it might work.

Have you tried johnnycaptain's method, yet?