Sign in to follow this  
Benjy

FSX install to new windows 10 machine

I am sure other members and FSX gurus will have come across this before.

I have seen some posts and advice about this topic but am still a bit unclear and cautious in knowing how to get round my problem.

I have a new windows 10 computer with a 1TB hard drive.

My old computer ran windows 7 32bit.

In my windows 7 computer I had two 250 GB hard drives.

One with the windows 7 operating system, the other drive, my “F” drive, was where I had my FSX installed together with all its add-ons etc. I also had another partition on this “F” drive where I kept all the software and add-ons as I wanted to try and keep all the files in a handy go to source.

I have also copied across from my old windows 7 computer all the files and folders in “My Documents” folder.

On my new windows 10 computer I have created a partition, in this case allocated “E” drive. I have cloned my old “F” drive onto this new “E” drive.

Windows 10 has not had FSX installed into/through it so to speak.

The question is this; can I run an FSX install and point to this new “E” drive partition without having to reinstall all my add-ons? What affect would that have? Which existing files would it overwrite?

I am aware of the files that would probably be overwritten, I am thinking of the FSX folder in my documents, which contain my log.bin and saved flights. Also in the app data folder any FSX settings. Finally the Scenery config and FSX config files.

The reason I ask is, if windows 10 has never had FSX installed, as I have read in other posts, there are details on doing a complete uninstall and registry clean before re-installing FSX again. Thereby having to install all the add-ons.

My add-ons include “Ultimate Traffic Live”, lots of add-on scenery, and “FSX save” lots of A/C and Horizon scenery.

I have seen that others have installed FSX to the root of “C”, as windows run it better that way.

The thought of having to start from scratch fills me with dread.

Edited by Benjy
Formatting

Welcome to the forum(s) Benjy. Having been through your situation a number of times my advice is to suck it up and do it all from scratch. Reinstall everything. I know this is a pain in the *** but, in the long run, you may save yourself a lot of grief. There are probably as many opinions about how to do this as there are members on this forum but that's my two cents. Let us know what you decide and how it all worked out...........Doug

P.S. - Do NOT install FSX in the root drive.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Agree with Doug!  Too many nuances can cause havoc if not installed correctly from scratch.  Things like hidden registry items that

can't be transferred over previous installation. 

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I would also say to reinstall the whole thing, its a pain but its worth it.

Unlike Xplane which is a neat single self-contained folder you can move around with zero problems FSX is a typical MS product that squirrels away files and folders all over the place.

Brew some coffee, do the reinstall while watching some youtubes and you'll be done before you know it. Fresh OS, fresh FSX.

Ensure Win10 is updated fully.

• Like 1

I went from a Windows XP computer that had two hard drives to a Windows 10 computer that has one large M2 drive.  With SSD's, partitioning is not necessary and can lead to running out of space on one partition while another partition has plenty of free space.  I ditched my boxed version of FSX in favor of FSX: Steam Edition and installed it to a folder I created on the C drive.  I have no regrets about going to the Steam version nor installing it on the C drive.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.