Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

P3D running slow

7 hours ago, Rogen said:

Ok, I can see some inconsistancies there.

Do you have an app to monitor the GPU ?

I use GPU Tweek II as I have an ASUS GFX card, a monitoring application will let you see what config options are sucking up GPU power.

Back to the inconsistancies.

You've got VSync enabled in P3D yet have a frame rate set at 30 and also have vsync set in the NVidia Inspect set at 1/3 of the monitor Hz rate.

The way a VSync works is to lock the frame rate to the monitor hz, e.g. 60 hz monitor with vsync would be 60 FPS and a 30 hz monitor woul dbe 30 FPS.

Assuming you've a 60 hz monitor you'll get 20 fps max with 1/3 vsync (assuming it's working).

1/2 a 60 hz vsync will give you 30 fps which is a frame rate P3D can manage to keep up with in most situations.

In P3D set target frames to unlimited as you'll want as many as P3D can pump out, then let the vsync set the actual display rate.

With the use of the NV Inspector, I think you can cut back on some of those things.

e.g. sparse grid super sampling is hugely expensive on GPU power, esspecially for the monitor rex that you're running, just go to 2 x SSAA at the most and 2 to 4 SSAA in P3D.

You'll proably also have to drop back on the Autogen and scenery draw distance, medium would more suit the machine I'd say, although some of the others can go up.

My current P3D settings are based on recommendations for Orbx sceneries (I'm not sure. It's been awhile), But, I'll try your suggestions and report back here.

I googled GPU Tweak and found GPU Tweak 3 not GPU Tweak 2. Given that I have older components does it make a difference which one I use for comparison purposes?.

Since I don't have a 60Hz and instead have a 144Hz monitor how should my settings be?

I don't understand why I should set my target frames to unlimited when I can barely pass 15 fps. 

Additional specs on my system:
--------------------------------------------
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370M-DS3H
CPU: i7-8700K (not overclocked)
Drive: WD 2TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe
GPU: PNY GTX 1070ti 8GB GDDR5 (not overclocked)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB DDR4 3200 CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
Power Supply: Seasonic M12 620w
Cooler: Corsair H60

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

4 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

This is my monitor. I don't think it can do 30Hz. Ironically, it can do 144Hz.  I don't know enough about my set-up to mess with them. For example, can I use 24Hz instead of 30Hz? Will it scr_ew up my monitor? Will it be better than the default?

Amazon.com: Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC : Electronics

Given the monitor is a G-Sync it should sync down to practically anything, certainly at least down to 24 Hz as your screen grab shows a 24 Hz minimum.

Any monitor mode you select in the NVida control panel is being reported from the monitor itself, meaning it will be fine to choose.

I'd trial the following.

Clear the Anti-Aliasing  and vsync settings out of the Inspector, put them back to default.

Set P3D with unlimited frames and have vsync and tripple buffering on, set P3D AA to 2 x SSAA.

Start youself up at a remote airport, like in South Africa or South America, e.g. a place where you'll get high frame rates, in a default aircraft like the Electra 10, the aim is a non-complex aircraft for this trial so as to achive maximum frame rates.

The P3D frame counter should show a relatively high frame rate > 24 fps.

Set your monitor mode down to 24 hz, what should happen is the frame rate will reduce down to 24 fps.

This will show how vsync works, in this case P3D is unlimited and is thusly running at it's maximum capability while vsync sets the frame rate to match the Hz rate.

Now your monitor is listed as GSync so it should vsync to practically any frame rate.

I don't have any experience with GSync, but I would imagine you'd enable GSync in the NVidia Control Panel, set some form of frame rate limit outside of P3D e.g. set 30 fps in NVInspector.

Then set P3D with unlimited frames and have vsync and tripple buffering on, setting your monitor mode back to 144 or 60 Hz.

All being well gsync should vsync @ 30 fps.

The above said, I don't have a gsync monitor and the operation is just a guess on how I assume it would work, Mr Google might help in that regard.

Unless someone with a GSync monitor can chime in.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

@Rogen

Changes:
Frame rate = changed from 30 fps -------------->Unlimited
Autogen and Scenery Draw = Very High------->Medium
Autogen Vegetation = Very Dense---------------->Normal
Autogen Buildings = Very Dense------------------>Normal

While parking on the runway idling:
1st test:  
Adelaide in South Africa and Mooney Bravo (I gave up on the Elantra. I couldn't find the parking brakes).  = 140-150 fps.

2nd test:
As above, but using the Learjet with GTN avionics, Orbx scenery, vibrations (OpusFS' dynamic head movement feature)  = 40-40 fps
I'm getting about 20 fps flying over complex scenery (fsdreamteam's KSFO). 

Is this the best that my set-up can do? Should I make additional changes?
eg. change from 144Hz to 24Hz, and disable AA and Vsync in nVidia Inspector. 

I'm going to use a traffic add-on (AIG) and activate OpusFSI's weather engine (I also have ActiveSky and Rex clouds. I'm wondering if I should use these instead).

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Hey @bofhlusr,

Now you know the capabilites of the maximum fps achievable.

What about the rest of the testing ?

e.g.

1. Clear the Anti-Aliasing  and vsync settings out of the Inspector, put them back to default.
  2. Set your monitor mode down to 24 hz, what should happen is the frame rate will reduce down to 24 fps.
  3. And the Gsync enablements ?

What you want to achive is 30 fps as that should lead to both a smooth running display while not overloading the hardware.

Infact you could probably ramp up the more GPU based settings in the config as there would be spare capacity on the GPU.

The majority of those videos I did are based on 30 hz vsync for 30 fps.

Have a look at this.

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

2 hours ago, Rogen said:

Hey @bofhlusr,

Now you know the capabilites of the maximum fps achievable.

What about the rest of the testing ?

e.g.

1. Clear the Anti-Aliasing  and vsync settings out of the Inspector, put them back to default.
  2. Set your monitor mode down to 24 hz, what should happen is the frame rate will reduce down to 24 fps.
  3. And the Gsync enablements ?

1. I changed AA and Vsync to their default in Inspector and it didn't make a difference. No improvement or degradation. So I will keep them off the Inspector permanently and just use the settings in the sim.
2. I changed the monitor mode from 144 hz to 24 hz, and my frame rate went down from 40-45 fps to 24 fps. I put them back to 144 hz.
3. With regards to G-Sync, I haven't done anything yet. I need to make sure if benefits gained for P3D doesn't adversely affect my settings and performance in MSFS and VR. I hope someone chimes in.

I viewed the video you sent in the link above. Very nice.  I went ahead and installed Orbx's PNW and 11S sceneries, and Just Flight's Turbo Arrow (I don't have your Tecnam aircraft). I was pleasantly surprised to get 80-85 fps. Probably because it doesn't have the GTN installed?  I was curious and compared that to the MSFS version of 11S and Turbo Arrow and got 40-45 fps. The same as what I have for P3D. That's 3x better than before your suggestions. Your screen colors for P3D are definitely better looking than those in my P3D and MSFS screens.

Got to go to sleep. It's past 3 am my time. Thank you for the suggestions.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I notice you have FXAA enabled...I'd test without that and see if you get fps improvement...I think FXAA would eat a 1070ti at your resolution, I know it ate my 1080ti at 4K.

Clearing out the NVI AA settings was a good move.  You had a lot going on there and that's usually not good.

I know Rogen et al already said this but it can't be emphasized enough.  Testing the sim with vsync off/unlimited is a great way to see max frames...now you can start adding in features (settings like AA) to improve visuals.   

I tend to avoid NVI.   I will fiddle with NVI but only after I've dialled in all of the in-sim settings, and nvidia CP settings.  NVI I only use for a final tweak, and sometimes you have to be cautious with NVI's AA settings.  The payoff can be great as Christopher mentioned on page 1 of this thread...but experimenting with NVI's AA modes can also be time-consuming and patience-trying.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

26 minutes ago, Mace said:

I tend to avoid NVI. 

I'll try and test your suggestions. Thanks.

How do you get rid of shimmering without using Sparse Grid Super Sampling Anti-aliasing (SGSSAA) which is apparently only available in NVI?

Also, do you have setting tips for G-Sync?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

17 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

How do you get rid of shimmering without using Sparse Grid Super Sampling Anti-aliasing (SGSSAA) which is apparently only available in NVI?

In some cases, you don't get rid of it, unless you use SGSSAA.

But my point was, you test without any of those NVI special AA modes and only add that in after you've determined that 1) you are performing well in terms of smoothness and fps and stability, and 2) that the in-sim AA modes aren't getting it done for you.

17 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

Also, do you have setting tips for G-Sync?

I don't have any experience with G-Sync.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

My current settings in P3D 4.5 after suggestions made here. Thank you all.
I'm using an i7-8700K @3.7 GHz, PNY GTX 1070 TI, Corsair 32 GB RAM, Gigabyte Z370 motherboard.
Additional suggestions welcome.

spacer.png

Flysimware's Learjet 35A, RXP GTN 750, REX radar and ORBX scenery (KHAF).
Without 4xSparse Grid SuperSampling in NVI, the AFCS panel (autopilot, top center) in the cockpit is unreadable because of shimmering.
I get about 15-20 fps flying and landing in FSDreamteam's KSFO airport scenery.

spacer.png

Edited by bofhlusr
Updated picture.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

I note that you have FXAA set to ON. Whilst this is almost certainly not going to affect your framerate to any significant extent, FXAA makes the textures in my PMDG VCs look rather fuzzy, so I always switch it OFF.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I note that you have FXAA set to ON. Whilst this is almost certainly not going to affect your framerate to any significant extent, FXAA makes the textures in my PMDG VCs look rather fuzzy, so I always switch it OFF.

Good catch. I could have sworn I had it off per @Mace suggestion above. I just turned if off and you're right, it's less fuzzy. Thank you.

I'm wondering if this is the best this set-up can do. I'm not sure if trying to figure out how to over-clock the cpu and the gpu will make a difference.

Edited by bofhlusr

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

23 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

I get about 15-20 fps flying and landing in FSDreamteam's KSFO airport scenery.

Correction: not FSDreamteam, but Flightbeam's KSFO.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

On 8/14/2022 at 4:08 AM, Rogen said:

Hey thanks, and yeah you should be able to manage making the same sort of vids, the hardware I made the vids on was the AMD equivalent of what you've got pretty much.

The key to great functionality and smooth video is to lock frames to 30 FPS and a Vsync will do that and make it very smooth plus it really helps if you've a 30Hz capable monitor.

Also helps if you can get a high base CPU overclock happening as P3D loves a high CPU base speed.

Here's a vid made with my first gen Ryzen CPU and 1070Ti

• AMD Ryzen 1700 O/C to 4.1 GHz
  • Nvidia GForce 1070Ti
  • X52 Pro HOTAS
  • Dell MultiSync MHL IPS monitor (U2417H - can sync down to 23 Hz)

It shows how to get a good 1/2 sync using RivaTuner Statistics Server and also the settings I have in P3D, hope it helps.

Cheers

II was running into problems with MSFS and decided to re-visit P3D.

Your video above is truly beautiful and given that we have similar PC specs I decided to see if I can have the same thing. How do you overclock the 1070ti?

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

19 minutes ago, bofhlusr said:

.......... How do you overclock the 1070ti?

Let me Google that for you.................

Here you go...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparkrite said:

Let me Google that for you.................

Here you go...

Thank you. Can you recommend a link on how to overclock the 8700k CPU as well? I googled, and got tons of google hits but I don't know which one works well (and compatible with a 1070ti GPU overlclock).

I'd like to get the same results as the video above. I'm checking out tomatoshade, rdshade, and envtex but I am getting confused as to which one to buy or use.

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1