Sign in to follow this  
Fiorentoni

Stop a flow?

Hi,

just a quick question: When my co-pilot misunderstands me and starts a wrong flow, can I stop him with a command so he doesn't completely misconfigure the aircraft?

I think "Cancel flow" might have worked for me in the past, but I might be mistaking this with "Cancel checklist"...

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

37 minutes ago, d.tsakiris said:

I think "Cancel flow" might have worked for me in the past, but I might be mistaking this with "Cancel checklist"...

No cancel flow does nothing (cancel checklist does work, though, yes).

7 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

No cancel flow does nothing (cancel checklist does work, though, yes).

Try these voice commands

cancel the flow

cancel flow

stop the flow

stop flow

leave that

leave this

...at least 150 other variations

Note: You'll only get notifiation of flow being stopped when one is already in progress.

If unsure how far Fo is in the flow, you can ask

are we done with the flow

are you done with the procedure

have you finished the flow

have you finished your task

have you completed the procedure

done with performing the flow?

done executing your task

.... At least 300 other variations.

If you find yourself speaking a command a couple of times and seemingly FO doesn't react to it, you can assume that it's not in the speech grammar.

Either report it and we could easily add it to the pool of spech variations, or you can do it yourself as follows.

Let's assume you naturally say "hey buddy don't bother with the flow".

The command doesn't exist. Here is how you can teach FO to react to it.

In "Command" tab of th user interface click <Voxscript>

Normally, Voxscript is for creating and modifying flows. In this case you will be using it as a translator.

Click <New> and type whatever speech command you want, inlcuding in ANY language you want (German, Italian, Spanish or Martian language)

The custom command will be listed. At this stage, MCE will recognize it, but wouldn't know what to make of it.

Now, you need to tie it to a built-in speech command FO is trained to react to so that when you speak your natural command it would be translated as if you spoke the built-in one. Here is how you do that.

Select the custom command and click <Edit>

In next screen, enable "Verbose" option and click <Edit script commands>

When you get to the <Script Commands> panel, unlike with a flow where you add many commands in sequence as part of FO task to execute, in this case, add a single command. The one you'd like your custom command to alias to. In this case "stop the flow".

Do not forget to save.

From then on, speaking your natural sentence would act as if you spoke the one it was tied to.

Edited by FS++
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FS++ said:

Try these voice commands

cancel the flow

cancel flow

stop the flow

stop flow

leave that

leave this

...at least 150 other variations

Note: You'll only get notifiation of flow being stopped when one is already in progress.

If unsure how far Fo is in the flow, you can ask

are we done with the flow

are you done with the procedure

have you finished the flow

have you finished your task

have you completed the procedure

done with performing the flow?

done executing your task

.... At least 300 other variations.

If you find yourself speaking a command a couple of times and seemingly FO doesn't react to it, you can assume that it's not in the speech grammar.

Either report it and we could easily add it to the pool of spech variations, or you can do it yourself as follows.

Let's assume you naturally say "hey buddy don't bother with the flow".

The command doesn't exist. Here is how you can teach FO to react to it.

In "Command" tab of th uer interface click <Voxscript>

Normally, Voxscript is for creating and modifying flows. In this case you will be using it as a translator.

Click <New> and type whatever speech command you want, inlcuding in ANY language you want (German, Italian, Spanish or Martian language)

The custom command will be listed. At this stage, MCE will recognize it, but wouldn't know what to make of it.

Now, you need to tie it to a built-in speech command FO is trained to react to so that when you speak your natural command it would be translated as if you spoke the built-in one. Here is how you do that.

Select the custom command and click <Edit>

In next screen, enable "Verbose" option and click <Edit script commands>

When you get to the <Script Commands> panel, unlike with a flow where you add many commands in sequence as part of FO task to execute, in this case, add a single command. The one you'd like your custom command to alias to. In this case "stop the flow".

Do not forget to save.

From then on, speaking your natural sentence would act as if you spoke the one it was tied to.

Thanks for your response. Now there's two more things:

1) It seems like when I say "cancel flow" the FO asks me to confirm if I want to stop the flow BUT in the meantime continues with the flow. This means he will have finished half of his wrong flow before he stops. I think a stop/cancel command needs to immediately pause any action by the FO.

2) I want to use a joystick button to mute/unmute, which I can do via FSUIPC (NUM lock). Unfortunately the program feels the need to tell me every single time I push that button (something along the lines "speech recognizion muted" .... "speech recognition active"). This is extremely annoying and kills immersion. How can I disable that?

EDIT:

3) I've read somewhere there are hardcoded callouts. Now I can see in the monitor tab you can enter V1, V2 etc. to callout. But I've read there are other callouts, like "10000 feet". Is there a file to change/adapt them? If not, is there a list for hardcoded callouts I can see? Just want to know what to expect.

Edited by Fiorentoni

I'm also interested to learn if, for example, it's possible to change the 80 kts callout to 100 kts or if that's hardcoded and can't be changed.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

56 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I'm also interested to learn if, for example, it's possible to change the 80 kts callout to 100 kts or if that's hardcoded and can't be changed.

It's hard coded at 100 knts for all Airbus types, and 80 knots for anything else, especially Boeings

5 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

Thanks for your response. Now there's two more things:

1) It seems like when I say "cancel flow" the FO asks me to confirm if I want to stop the flow BUT in the meantime continues with the flow. This means he will have finished half of his wrong flow before he stops. I think a stop/cancel command needs to immediately pause any action by the FO.

2) I want to use a joystick button to mute/unmute, which I can do via FSUIPC (NUM lock). Unfortunately the program feels the need to tell me every single time I push that button (something along the lines "speech recognizion muted" .... "speech recognition active"). This is extremely annoying and kills immersion. How can I disable that?

EDIT:

3) I've read somewhere there are hardcoded callouts. Now I can see in the monitor tab you can enter V1, V2 etc. to callout. But I've read there are other callouts, like "10000 feet". Is there a file to change/adapt them? If not, is there a list for hardcoded callouts I can see? Just want to know what to expect.

1) MCE is using multi-threading. We are talking about a thread running the flow, then another one pre-empting it, and to make it more complicated, prevent accidental termination of the flow, with the need for confirmation.

We'll see what can be done, but this is the stuff that is very hard to get right. You could end-up with 2 threads dead-locking each other and force a MCE restart.

More so when MCE has been very stable for years in this regard.

2) There is a patch you can download. See this thread.

3) Call-outs are hard coded based on real world procedures. There is only one you can override.

V1 call-out with "Go" if using Lufthansa procedures. This option in "mce.ini

[OPTIONS]

V1CalloutIsGO=1    

1 hour ago, FS++ said:

It's hard coded at 100 knts for all Airbus types, and 80 knots for anything else, especially Boeings

So I assume there is no way to give an option on that call like with V1 vs. go? Some airlines use 100 for Boeings as well. No biggie btw.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 hour ago, threegreen said:

So I assume there is no way to give an option on that call like with V1 vs. go? Some airlines use 100 for Boeings as well. No biggie btw.

No, not as things stand right now.

Technically, easy to make it customizable. Just not worth the trouble unless many users need that sort of control.

26 minutes ago, FS++ said:

No, not as things stand right now.

Technically, easy to make it customizable. Just not worth the trouble unless many users need that sort of control.

I understand.