Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

How to limit fps on a 140 or 165Hz monitor?

Hello, I'm thinking of buying me a 1440p monitor, most of them are now at 140Hz or 165Hz with gsync. I'm used to limiting all my flight sims to 30Hz (60Hz monitor @1/2 refresh rate in NvCP). Is it possible to cap gfx output to 30 fps and have it still synced properly with these high refresh monitors? Please share your tips and experience.

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

You can use MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner, or you can also cap the frame rate in the nVidia Control Panel.  Both will impose a frame rate cap at the driver level.

Not sure why you'd want to, though--the whole point of paying the premium for a GSync board in the monitor is to allow the monitor to dynamically adjust to the actual frame output without tears/stutters.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I'm currently on a 12700H/RTX 3060 laptop, so when it gets to its maximum frame rates, the temperatures get very high. And most decent 32" 1440p monitors are 140-165Hz with gsync. Perhaps I'd rather buy a 32'' 1440p 60Hz monitor, but I understand they don't make them anymore.

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

2 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

You can use MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner, or you can also cap the frame rate in the nVidia Control Panel.

As I wrote I cap 30 fps with NVCP. How well does it work with a 140Hz 165Hz gsync monitor?

Does gsync properly throttle refresh down to 30 from 140 available? 

Gsync will be active as long as your fps is within the range specified for your monitor. Mine has a g-sync range of 30-144Hz.

I'd lock a little higher, at 40 for example, to not be right at the range limit, but you should experiment.

Try to find a fps lock that gives you balanced performance between CPU and GPU. Neither should ever hit 100%. A fair bit below is always preferable.

In other games, I use the NVCP cap to 140Hz for the same reason, to stay within the gsync range and not exceed it.

Edited by neumanix
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Does gsync properly throttle refresh down to 30 from 140 available? 

That all depends on each monitor. Just because it says G-Sync doesn't mean it's good for the sim, let alone G-Sync Compatible (STAY AWAY from those!!). 144hz and higher is great for most games EXCEPT MSFS and P3d. Check below at monitor specs and take very close note of the LOWER limits of the refresh rate. Ideally you want as low as possible. People often complain that G-Sync doesn't work, yet it's the monitor they chose and it often only supports down to 40-50hz meaning that you have to sustain a solid 40-50fps for G-Sync to actually work which in most games is easy, just not for P3d or MSFS.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

38 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

That all depends on each monitor. Just because it says G-Sync doesn't mean it's good for the sim, let alone G-Sync Compatible (STAY AWAY from those!!). 144hz and higher is great for most games EXCEPT MSFS and P3d. Check below at monitor specs and take very close note of the LOWER limits of the refresh rate. Ideally you want as low as possible. People often complain that G-Sync doesn't work, yet it's the monitor they chose and it often only supports down to 40-50hz meaning that you have to sustain a solid 40-50fps for G-Sync to actually work which in most games is easy, just not for P3d or MSFS.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Thanks Dave, that's exacly why I posted my question here. I can vaguely remember negative remarks about GSYNC for flight sims.

Even 30Hz lower limit is not low enough for me. I'll try to find some 60/120Hz sans GSYNC. But the problem is if it is not a GSYNC monitor then it's a FreeSync compatible one which is even worse I understand, isn't it?

PS: I really want an old style 60Hz 1440p 32-inch with 5ms response. 

Edited by Dirk98
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Even 30Hz lower limit is not low enough for me. I'll try to find some 60/120Hz sans GSYNC. But the problem is if it is not a GSYNC monitor then it's a FreeSync compatible one which is even worse I understand, isn't it?

There are plenty of them that go down to 1hz which is ideal, personally I wouldn't get anything else especially if you do other games as well to take full advantage of it.

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

1 minute ago, Dave_YVR said:

There are plenty of them that go down to 1hz which is ideal, personally I wouldn't get anything else especially if you do other games as well to take full advantage of it.

I do only a couple of other usual suspects like F4BMS and DCS. 1Hz sounds great, thanks for the pointer Dave.

I have a Dell 32" 1440 VA panel that can run at 165Hz.  It's AMD Freesync 2 but I leave that disabled on the monitor's controls.  For P3D (5.3) I set the refresh rate at 60Hz in NVCP, and then use NVCP's 1/2 Refresh Rate setting to run the sim at 30 fps.  Of course, in P3D I set the frame rate lock to unlimited and V-Sync off.  I use the same config for MSFS 2020, though I'm not flying it now.  Note: I do this using a quality DP cable... never had much luck using HDMI cables on LED/LCD panels.  Monitor cables are pretty much like Gsync and Freesync "compatible" technology... really nothing more than a ripoff!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lownslo said:

I have a Dell 32" 1440 VA panel that can run at 165Hz.  It's AMD Freesync 2 but I leave that disabled on the monitor's controls.  For P3D (5.3) I set the refresh rate at 60Hz in NVCP, and then use NVCP's 1/2 Refresh Rate setting to run the sim at 30 fps.

It's good that your monitor's refresh rate can be controlled in NVCP and go down from 165Hz to 60Hz. AFAIK not all panels can accept that, but thanks for reminding me about it.

Thanks. 

PS: I'd rather have a monitor with the internal refresh control (a note to myself). 

Edited by Dirk98

On a currently-sold G-Sync monitor, the 30 Hz lower limit is for the LCD panel in the display--if the monitor is a true G-Sync monitor (it has the nVidia G-Sync module built-in), the G-Sync module in the monitor will insert duplicate frames and up-shift the vertical refresh rate to a multiple of the frame rate when the frame rate drops to near/below the panel's minimum freq threshold.  See #4 in: https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/2/  The first-generation G-Sync boards (which are long, long gone from the retail chain by now) did have some issues when operating below the panel's min refresh rate, but the aforementioned compensation method works quite well on current G-Sync displays.

I have a Dell AW3420DW 34" ultrawide on one of my secondary machines.  It's a true G-Sync monitor, and Dell's specs say minimum frame rate is 30 Hz.  That said, it is both smooth and tear-free during excursions to much lower frame rates owing to the workings of G-Sync.

"G-Sync compatible" monitors are usually designed primarily for AMD's Freesync, and because they do not have the built-in G-Sync hardware to do that compensation, they are limited to the panel's refresh rate range when used in G-Sync compatibility mode.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thank you Bob. Most of the current reviews are littered by: "G-sync compatible!", "FreeSync Premium!" offers, go figure without an enlightened  advice.