Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Fenix - Speed issue in Approach Mode

6 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

What happens after you pushed managed after activating the APPR phase? Speed should go to green dot with no flaps out or to the  S/F speed with flaps 1/2. It doesn‘t for you? Do you have a speed restriction in the FMC after the IAF (shouldn‘t be, but you can enter one manually)? This would overwrite the greendot/SF-speeds commanded speeds in managed mode.

I‘ve not once had any problem on approaches with speed on the Fenix, not once. And I‘ve done all kind of approaches, from ILS to visual, on Vatsim with varying speed restrictions, with varying flaps, coming in with managed speed and automatic APPR phase or with selected speed and manual APPR phase… so unless you detected a very rare bug I‘d say it‘s some user error somewhere in between.

If you pushed managed it will settle back down but not after you've sped up.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

7 hours ago, VBHB said:

I rarely activate approch mode the MCDU as when I hit 10,000 I turn off speed manage mode and change the speed to 240kts or per ATC/STAR.

I wonder why...? Do you have a specific reason for this? I almost always fly in managed mode: I seldom have a reason not to do so, so why should you...?. Anyway, I almost always activate Approach Mode manually in the MCDU. Afaik the D on the ND is more a kind of safety function so that if you forget to enable Approach Mode you won't get into problems. I wonder how many real world pilots totally rely on that D and don't do it manually.

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

I wonder why...? Do you have a specific reason for this? I almost always fly in managed mode: I seldom have a reason not to do so, so why should you...?. Anyway, I almost always activate Approach Mode manually in the MCDU. Afaik the D on the ND is more a kind of safety function so that if you forget to enable Approach Mode you won't get into problems. I wonder how many real world pilots totally rely on that D and don't do it manually.

I imagine the real flight crew would not wait for the auto kick in of approach mode, but would enter it in the MCDU which is what I do. As far as setting speed, when ATC tells me to slow to a lower speed, I have to leave managed mode. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

25 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I imagine the real flight crew would not wait for the auto kick in of approach mode, but would enter it in the MCDU which is what I do. As far as setting speed, when ATC tells me to slow to a lower speed, I have to leave managed mode. 

It all depends on the situation.  There are many correct ways to do it.  

A lot of simmers think it's only this way or that way.  That's not always the case.

Either way, you DO NOT want an unexpected acceleration.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply