Sign in to follow this  
jmig

OpenXR error not allowing me to use VR

I am at my wits end and asking for help. I recently formatted my C drive and installed Windows 11. I have MSFS on a separate M2 drive. I fly using a HP Reverb G2 headset. With Windows 10 this worked smoothly.

Now, I cannot get the VR to work with Mixed Reality Portal. Every time I hit CRTL-TAB to switch I get an error message saying “The initialization of VR failed. Please check that OpenXR is installed…”. It is installed and the Demo works with the headset. I have deleted and reinstalled Windows Mixed Reality Portal and OpenXR at least a half-dozen times, to no avail. I have reset Windows and MSFS. I tired Repair on everything. I have looked online for possible solutions and found none that help. I have been fighting this for five days now.

I can get MSFS, DCS, and P3D to work through SteamVR. However, I get one shot. If I backout of VR to normal, I cannot go back to VR without restarting MSFS. Before, when using WMR I had no such issues. I was able to go back and forth as many times as I needed to.

MSFS and WMR should work...but they don't.

John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Probable stupid suggestions but:

- Did you try different USB ports to connect the G2?

- Do you own the second cable version with your G2? I got crazy with headset audio disconnecting, tried a new PCI USB card with 2 amps power without any benefits, until I install the V2 cable.

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

If I'm not mistaken, there's an OpenXR application that needs to be downloaded from the maker's website, and then there's the "OpenXR tools for Windows Mixed Reality" that needs to be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

Which one did you install ?

Edited by Daube

On 10/11/2022 at 2:41 AM, roland_lfor said:

Probable stupid suggestions but:

- Did you try different USB ports to connect the G2?

- Do you own the second cable version with your G2? I got crazy with headset audio disconnecting, tried a new PCI USB card with 2 amps power without any benefits, until I install the V2 cable.

I didn't try a different usb port. I did unplug and reinsert the plugs. I am not sure about second cable? The cable has two connections. One for the video and the other is a C usb with an usb 3 adapter. 

The head set works fine on Steam. It is just the WMR/OpenXR that is giving me problems.

Thank you for the suggestions. 

John

Edited by jmig

John
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

23 hours ago, Daube said:

If I'm not mistaken, there's an OpenXR application that needs to be downloaded from the maker's website, and then there's the "OpenXR tools for Windows Mixed Reality" that needs to be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

Which one did you install ?

Yes, OpenXR comes with MMR. OpenXR is installed and set as per instructions. It just gives the error message everytime. OpenXR tools is installed too but I don't use it.

Thanks,

John

John

Ok, in OpenXR tools for Windows Mixed reality, in the settings part, did you check the "use latest runtimes..." option ?

If I understood properly, you are actually able to get into VR mode in MSFS, but only once, and if you get out of it, then it never works anymore until you restart the computer/sim ?

Last time I had that problem, it was linked to my video drivers I think...

2 hours ago, Daube said:

Ok, in OpenXR tools for Windows Mixed reality, in the settings part, did you check the "use latest runtimes..." option ?

If I understood properly, you are actually able to get into VR mode in MSFS, but only once, and if you get out of it, then it never works anymore until you restart the computer/sim ?

Last time I had that problem, it was linked to my video drivers I think...

Yes, "use latest runtimes" is on. I can get into VR mode by using SteamVR as my OpenXR driver. However, it is very finicky. I am not using the Steam version. I am using the PC version. Often it either won't go back to nonVR and I will get a SteamVR had a problem and shutdown error. If I use SteamVR for DCS, I have no such problems.

Thanks for offering to help.

John

John

Ok so in MSFS you actually use the VR mode through SteamVR instead of the regular OpenXR/WMR mode. Did you do that intentionally as one of the many steps of your troubleshooting ?

The reason I say that is because I just tried to set the VR back to SteamVR on my computer for testing, via the SteamVR parameters->Developper. And now, in OpenXR tools, I do get an error message in the section "Runtime":

In the third tabstrip ("mixed reality"), it does offer a button to set it back to the older setting (OpenXR), and when I click that, I can see the parameter in SteamVR has also reverted to OpenXR, asking me to set SteamVR as active environment again.

Did you already go through these steps too ?

Edited by Daube

2 hours ago, Daube said:

Ok so in MSFS you actually use the VR mode through SteamVR instead of the regular OpenXR/WMR mode. Did you do that intentionally as one of the many steps of your troubleshooting ?

The reason I say that is because I just tried to set the VR back to SteamVR on my computer for testing, via the SteamVR parameters->Developper. And now, in OpenXR tools, I do get an error message in the section "Runtime":

In the third tabstrip ("mixed reality"), it does offer a button to set it back to the older setting (OpenXR), and when I click that, I can see the parameter in SteamVR has also reverted to OpenXR, asking me to set SteamVR as active environment again.

Did you already go through these steps too ?

I got to using SteamVR out of necessity. I can't get MS to work. I would prefer to use Windows Mixed Reality and OpenXR. That is what I was using before with Windows 10. 

To get SteamVR to work I went to SteamVR-Settings-Advanced-Developers and set Steam as the OpenXR. 

I have disconnected my headset and deleted WMR and OpenXR. I am now using TrackIR. Good grief, that is like going back to B&W TV. I have this silly idea that if I now reconnect the Reverb G2 then redownload the software, it will somehow work. Yeah right! However, I don't know what else to do. I think MSFS has driven me insane. After all, if you continue to do the same thing and expect different results...

John

Guest Anthony

Jmig.

I am at the exact same stage as you, I have tried everything apart re-install windows and the reason I havn't is that I'm not convinced it will work and it's a lot of work.

what seemed to cause the issue for me was a openxr tools software update but i also updated Nvidia drivers at the same time, so I'm not sure which was the culprit if any.

I rolled back the video drivers to no avail. 

Open xr works well with dcs like you say, so seems like an issue with MSFS but that hadn't changed in regards to updates etc. It is infuriating and to top it off i'v litrally just dropped £90 on the MD-80

Jmig.

I am at the exact same stage as you, I have tried everything apart re-install windows and the reason I havn't is that I'm not convinced it will work and it's a lot of work.

what seemed to cause the issue for me was a openxr tools software update but i also updated Nvidia drivers at the same time, so I'm not sure which was the culprit if any.

I rolled back the video drivers to no avail. 

Open xr works well with dcs like you say, so seems like an issue with MSFS but that hadn't changed in regards to updates etc. It is infuriating and to top it off i'v litrally just dropped £90 on the MD-80

Also another thing i have noticed while trying to sort this problem out is that when i go to the options/graphics options (MSFS2020) where you can decided on the type of rendering there is no longer the option for DLSS. There is only TAA FXAA DLAA etc but no DLSS. I had DLSS working with the G2 on openxr no issues at all. Very frustrating as it seems like a rare issue also.

Edited by steelmush

Long shot and you may have already done this, but...

After uninstalling 'WMR for Steam VR' and OpenXR Tools, are you then reinstalling them before trying the G2 again?

If so, then try a different sequence.  That is, after unplugging the headset, try uninstalling all of the WMR and SteamVR software and tools and then, after a reboot, plug in the headset to force the headset into finding all the default OpenXR and WMR drivers and runtimes itself. 

This is replicating what a new user on a new computer would do with the G2 straight out of the box and will only install the base OpenXR version and runtime.  Does MSFS now run OK in VR?  If so, then load up the SteamVR stuff and try that.

If SteamVR works, then switch back to the default OpenXR version by clicking the 'Fix It' message that will appear on the 2D WMR start up screen which will go back to the default OpenXR runtime (bizarrely, SteamVR seems to determine the default state of VR once it has been installed).  Does MSFS still work in VR?

After years of battling between the two OpenXR versions in the early X-plane and MSFS in Windows10, I have learnt that Windows gets SUPER mixed up between the two versions.

Edited by AJZip

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

I'm running into exactly the same issue.  Was working fine and all I did was update to windows 11.  Now I get this same error.  HP Reverb G2.  Has anyone made any progress?

On 7/22/2023 at 6:07 AM, Raybanman said:

I'm running into exactly the same issue.  Was working fine and all I did was update to windows 11.  Now I get this same error.  HP Reverb G2.  Has anyone made any progress?

Did you sort this?

I ask because I had a problem a few weeks ago when I built a gaming computer for my brother-in-law from my components left behind after various upgrades, including my old Reverb G1 that had been in the cupboard for over a year and included loaded a new full copy of Windows 10.

And I had the same problem.  I plugged the headset in and everything loaded up 'normally', but the headset wouldn't boot up into VR.  After checking all of the Mixed Reality Settings in Windows and trying different USB ports, etc, I began to assume that it must have been the cable - had it been squashed in the box?  Was it just about to go by coincidence when I put it away a year earlier?

I tried all sorts, including loading up OpenXR Tools, etc and concluded it was indeed the cable or, worse, the headset.  But then came across something I've NEVER seen before - and never seen on any forum or help advice - which fixed it.  It's weeks ago, so I'm going a bit from memory mixed in with all the stuff I tried that didn't work but I'm pretty sure it was in the triple dot area at the bottom left hand side of the WMR screen:

spacer.png

What I saw, in addition to the normal three options you see when you open this triple-dot extended menu (that is, 'Get Help'; 'Set Up Controllers' ; 'Settings') I'm sure it was there that there was an extra item saying something like 'Initiate OpenXR'.  I clicked that and all of a sudden, VR booted up and hasn't been a problem since.

Now - as I say, it might not have been exactly there, but it was definitely an item on or from this screen.  And once I had clicked it, not only does VR now work normally, but that flag is no longer anywhere there on my screen. 

Certainly worth a root around.

Post Script: By the way, this was nothing to do with the 'Fix It' flag that appears on the WMR after, say, running SteamVR.  Steam hadn't been installed and the 'Fix It' flag wasn't showing, which usually indicates that the correct OpenXR is working.  Except, in my case above, it wasn't.

Edited by AJZip
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2