Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Masterius

How to use keypad as an independent game controller

Recommended Posts

I would like to use something like a game keypad that would function as a game controller independent of the main keyboard. For instance, if I am programming controls using LINDA and the main keyboard "G" key toggles the landing gear, I could program the secondary keypad's "G" for a different function.

What I want to do is use the secondary game keypad to expand my options, and use it primarily to control Chaseplane views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Masterius said:

I would like to use something like a game keypad that would function as a game controller independent of the main keyboard. For instance, if I am programming controls using LINDA and the main keyboard "G" key toggles the landing gear, I could program the secondary keypad's "G" for a different function.

What I want to do is use the secondary game keypad to expand my options, and use it primarily to control Chaseplane views.

Might be worth taking at look at Touch Portal: https://www.touch-portal.com/

Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd need a keypad that's programmable--you can't differentiate the "G" key, for example, between two keyboards that send the standard keycodes without resorting to some serious low-level programming.  But if the keypad allows you to program it's firmware to send something other than the "G" keycode when pressing that key, you can make that work.


Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4/XP12): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XP11): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ark said:

Might be worth taking at look at Touch Portal: https://www.touch-portal.com/

Al

 

10 minutes ago, Bob Scott said:

You'd need a keypad that's programmable--you can't differentiate the "G" key, for example, between two keyboards that send the standard keycodes without resorting to some serious low-level programming.  But if the keypad allows you to program it's firmware to send something other than the "G" keycode when pressing that key, you can make that work.

Thank you both for your input. I decided to try the Redragon K585 DITI keypad and that seems to work exactly as I'd hoped. Not the easiest thing to learn and use as the vendor documentation is, ummm...a wee bit on the scanty side. However, Google to the rescue! 😝

My timing for that was rather serendipitous as well, since I seem to have hit some sort of Prime day sale. So far this seems to be doing the trick. Now I'm just fumbling my way learning Chaseplane so I can begin using the keypad to program views. 😖

Thanks again!

~Masterius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Streamdeck XL for this. It has 32 keys but since you can create menus and folders you can assign a virtual limetless number of commands to these keys.
Each key has its own display so you can have each key show its function, you can even display the status of sim variables on them.


Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

I use a Streamdeck XL for this. It has 32 keys but since you can create menus and folders you can assign a virtual limetless number of commands to these keys.
Each key has its own display so you can have each key show its function, you can even display the status of sim variables on them.

I checked it out and it looks really spiffy. It'd definitely do what I wanted. But it's almost $200, so I'm likely to take a pass on this for a while.

Thanks for the info though! It's very much appreciated!

~Masterius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Masterius said:

I checked it out and it looks really spiffy. It'd definitely do what I wanted. But it's almost $200, so I'm likely to take a pass on this for a while.

Thanks for the info though! It's very much appreciated!

~Masterius

it's expensive indeed but they wrork great. At first I spend a lot of time configuring those but I discovered Flightsim.to has many profiles already. Some of these do require AxisandOhs for some advanced aicraft like the PMDG 737.
Sometimes they are available for a bit less, but they won't ever be really cheap I guess.


Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...