Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

If you like helicopters...

...then you may enjoy these episodes of "Air Ambulance" from G.B. I've binge watched these first six episodes and am highly impressed with the level of trauma care. Every helicopter has three personnel onboard, a pilot, a college trained paramedic, and a highly qualified doctor. Their mission is to bring an emergency room level of care to their patients. I only wish we had this level of expertise on our "for profit" air ambulances here in the U.S., particularly back during my paramedic days! 

Caution: These are not scripted recreations but are filmed live. If you are squeamish, you might wish to turn your head when open fractures are shown.

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Gee, I guess no one likes helicopters. The first patient, the boy who fell into glass had a sad ending, but he was an exception. The other patients in these first six episodes survived.

Fr. Bill    

Yes/No: Do I like helicopters enough to include open fractures?

2 hours ago, Mike A said:

Yes/No: Do I like helicopters enough to include open fractures?

There aren't but two out of thirty-six patients featured in Season 1 with an on-screen view of such open fractures of about 5 seconds each. The producers spend little time on showing actual injuries and devote most of the time filming the helicopter and crew as they address their mission procedures.

One of the advanced procedures available because of having a physician on the heli-med team is "Rapid Sequence Induction" (RSI), which is an anesthetic cocktail that actually paralyzes musculature activity, allowing them to control the patient's breathing by ambu-bag + O2, thus insuring adequate oxygenation of the brain. This is very critical care for those with severe head trauma. It's the very same procedure that here in the U.S. would be administered in the ER anyway, so being able to do it in the field may well save the patient's life, especially if transit time to the ER is slow. 

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

10 minutes ago, n4gix said:

There aren't but two out of thirty-six patients featured in Season 1 with an on-screen view of such open fractures of about 5 seconds each.

Ah, I was just pulling your leg a little bit, Fr. Bill, couldn't help myself.  One of my favorite programs when I was a little kid was watching reruns of "Whirlybirds":

My response had more to do with what it involves at my location.  My wife is terrified of anything medical, has to do with childhood incidents of hers.  Anytime anything medical is on the screen, she turns away.  Even when drug commercials come on, she mutes the TV.  Or if she comes into the room & I'm watching something that shows anything like that, she says "Why are you watching that? You know how that upsets me!"

So even though the time on-screen details of injuries is minuscule, I have to "weigh" (hence the scales above) the possibility she would look at the TV at the wrong time and freak out.  And, of course, I will never live it down if that happened 😱.

Ah, I see now, said the blind bat.  Sorry for the missus' medical trauma. 

Fr. Bill    

Look at my avatar  Bill. You have to know I love Choppers. 

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

12 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Look at my avatar  Bill. You have to know I love Choppers. 

Oh gee! I have noticed your avatar, but quite forgot about it... 😳

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

Interesting and cool. For the patients, not a nice experience to go thru all that.   

This reminds me of the Swiss Air rescue here called REGA.   The series they did on Netflix is similar with air Rescues. Its called "The Horn", referring to the Matterhorn in Zermatt.  Pretty cool to watch as well.   Some glacier rescues in the works.  

https://youtu.be/f-YCalUPnRc

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

8 hours ago, HighTowers said:

This reminds me of the Swiss Air rescue here called REGA.   The series they did on Netflix is similar with air Rescues. Its called "The Horn", referring to the Matterhorn in Zermatt.  Pretty cool to watch as well.   Some glacier rescues in the works.  

It's a shame I don't have a sub to Netflix, as I'd love to watch those episodes.

Fr. Bill