Sign in to follow this  
NismoRR

New to airlines, looking for some direction

Been flight simming for almost 20 years, exclusively GA (Kodiak,  C414, Hjet, Turbo Arrow in MSFS) and using FSEconomy for most of that time. Picked up the PMDG 737-600 ($35 best value add on ever?) last week and really enjoying learning and flying her. Looking for a way to enhance flights as FSE doesn’t really cater to airlines. I’ve never been a part of a VA which I’m looking at, or something like A Pilot’s Life v2 which gets you into an airline captain career with the main emphasis on flying, which is where I’m leaning. Just looking for some opinions from others with a lot more experience than me. Appreciate any input/suggestions.

There are a couple of good ones out there.  Some more in-depth than others.  I use both Simbitworld, and OnAir Company.  Simbitworld costs around $30 up front with no re-occuring costs.  It does a pretty good job of simulating a company that provides flight schedules, rank increases, etc.  OnAir has a re-occurring cost, but is relatively inexpensive.  I believe there is a free trial that you can check out.  It is much more in-depth with built in advancement system to unlock things such as faster fuel/cargo loading, cheaper maintenance costs, etc.  It is like FSeconomy on crack in my opinion.  I like it very much.  To fly the airliners, you have to work for it, but it is worth it in my opinion.  My only frustration with it is that there aren't enough "airliner worthy" flights between major hubs.  If you don't mind flying to different airports allot, you can't go wrong.

Simbitworld:  https://secure.simmarket.com/simbitworld-a-pilots-life-chapter-2.phtml

Onaircompany:  https://www.onair.company/

PMDG makes awesome airliners.  The 737s are my favorite by far.  I've been flying it for over a decade through the various iterations of simulators, and it is by far my favorite line.  And I'm still learning new tricks lol.  Youtube is your friend in that regard.  Many real-life Boeing pilots willing and eager to share their knowledge.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all that. You’re funny “still learning new tricks” LOL!! I’m a noob. First thing I learned is level change mode is much better than VS. I have starting from cold and dark and basic flight operation and programming the FMC. As you mentioned, learning it all from a real 737 pilot, 737NG Driver in case you’re familiar. Works with PMDG. Fun stuff! I forgot about OnAir, but like the idea of getting flights in APL2 pretty easily.  Will look into OA further.

airlines go with the absolute best:  PMDG 737'

as real as it gets!  they have been around for over 20 years

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

You could start a second career with this simulator, just diving into one plane, or with one career add-on. 

Have fun!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

a pilots life has been good for me because its straight to the point.  All about the airliner career life.  No working your way up to flying bigger planes or starting in a C172.  Also its pretty flexible as far as when and what you fly.  And many airlines to choose from with real life routes.  

Start off with the FBW A32nx (P.C. only) or the A310, both are very good and are free and then work from there. All these claims about the "best airliner" in the sim is only subjective and ones opinion.

Edited by jbdbow1970