Sign in to follow this  
mickatmian

Help to choose g sync monitor or processor upgrade

Hi, I am running msfs with an i7 10700k at 5 ghz and nvidia 1080ti on a 34" ultrawide 1440p at 30fps, all works well for the ga flying I do except for the judder when panning. I have some spare cash and could either upgrade the processor or purchase a g sync ultimate monitor ( Acer Predator X38S 38 inch). Never having used g sync monitor my question is will it smooth out the panning judder? Any information appriciated or would it be better to upgrade the processor and run at 60htz to smooth out the panning

Thanks Mick

prozessor is fine. smoothness will win with a g-sync display, because tearing is eliminated. best benefit would come from a new graphics card of course.

Go to a 3070. best price relation for 1440 ultrawide.

• Upvote 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Thanks. I thought maybe a 3070.

But I would also like to know if gsync would cure the judder I have running the sim with vsync at 30htz/50% when panning.

Anyone?

Thanks Mick

29 minutes ago, mickatmian said:

Thanks. I thought maybe a 3070.

But I would also like to know if gsync would cure the judder I have running the sim with vsync at 30htz/50% when panning.

Anyone?

Thanks Mick

I doubt it will, because those stutters are almost 100% due to the CPU and you will get them even with a 13600K as an example. At least on my end, Freesync does not fully eliminate stutters, not even a pretty harsh FPS limit does prevent all of the stutters

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

thats the most useless option here. will not change your experience.

Regards, Jan Ast

Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

21 hours ago, mickatmian said:

No. GSync cures tearing. If you have VSync on, you hardly (if at all) notice the GSync effect.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

2 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

No. GSync cures tearing. If you have VSync on, you hardly (if at all) notice the GSync effect.

Not really:-

V-Sync will do that But if you have less fps than Hz, VSync will reduce the number of frames by half. This results in stuttering.

G-Sync  does not create frames, it syncs them. As such, whenever a frame takes longer than a single refresh cycle to render, the previous frame is displayed until the next is ready. So all VRR can do in this situation is continually sync this previous frame until the next appears.

So, if you can’t pin 30 or 40 or 60 Frames or whatever it is you’re locked to, consistently, which is most people using msfs, g-sync helps immensely in this regard. 

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/how-does-gsync-fix-stutters/

3 hours ago, Paladin2005 said:

thats the most useless option here. will not change your experience.

Really, which option? please explain.

Thanks for the gsync explanation it would seem a processor upgrade is required.

Looking at Radion RX6900XT which I can get for approximately £700 or RTX3080 but have to factor in the cost of a new power supply for the 3080.

I guess either of those should give a little overhead for the future.

Mick

Edited by mickatmian
change to text

your processor is already very good.

a g-sync screen would make everything more smooth. but you dont get more fps.

a new gpu would give you more fps in higher quality settings. this, gives you already a benefit, even with a 60 hz screen without g-sync. perfect option would be a new nvidia graphic card with a g-sync monitor (or alternative an AMD card with a freesyn monitor)

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast