Sign in to follow this  
TacomaSailor

Everything was A-OK - now CTD as soon as I switch to VR

Reverb G2 / 3060 Ti Driver 31.0.15.2698 (latest Game Ready 526.98) / Win 10 21H2 19044.2251 / Steam

I had been using the G2 a lot prior to the latest MSFS update but today is first try with VR since SU 10.

VR works fine in Assetto Corsa.  VR works fine in MSFS as long as I run in VR desktop mode (I start the sim from the VR desktop) - I can do anything I want with no problems. 

When I start Mixed Reality then MSFS from the 2D desktop and then use the MSFS Options / VR / switch to VR I get an immediate CTD.

Empty Community folder and also happens in SAFE mode.  

I've used both MS Mixed Reality and Steam VR with same result.  Only odd thing is that when I start Steam VR and then start MSFS from the Steam Library - I get a Steam message that MSFS does not support VR.

What have I overlooked / forgotten about starting VR?  Two months ago it was so easy and worked perfectly!

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

Hi, any chance you are running the OpenXR Toolkit? If so, is the in-game msfs2020 render resolution set to 100? I think used to crash if set otherwise though this may no longer be the case.

Otherwise, it may be worth uninstalling and reinstalling OpenXR and Open XR tools (different to Open XR Toolkit incase you are unaware)

and you could try checking for updates from the MS Store library

ms-store.jpg

Edited by dogmanbird

If I set MSFS to use DX11 - VR works perfectly and I get a surprisingly good FPS using DLSS/Quality/Ultra

If I tell MSFS to use DX12 - CTD as soon as I hit CTRL+Tab or use the VR option to turn on VR

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

Easy, just keep it on DX11 and don't bother with DX12, DX12 isn't ready, too many (small) issues.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

As @dogmanbirdsays above, earlier versions of OXRTK cause these CTDs switching to VR in DX12. Either turn OXRTK off or update it to the latest version.

Edited by Reset XPDR

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

OXRTK = OpenXR Toolkit

It is different software to OpenXR Tools (required for WMR headsets like Reverb G2. This one is part of windows apps library)

I've been unable to use OXRTK since the latest MSFS update and the game now gives an error when entering VR unless I use OXRTK safe mode or disable it. I haven't had much time to figure out why. 

Edited by dogmanbird

OK, thanks.  I figured out the problem.  I simply undid the DLSS version upgrade that I performed a week or two ago and all is well again.  That mod was hailed as the secret to all our problems.  I should have known better.

LouP