Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

New Drive for MSFS

I bought a 1TB M2 drive, and am wondering what would be better, to clone my present SSD ( 480 GB) which has OS plus MSFS  to the new drive, so everything is on the new drive, or to "Move" MSFS from my C Drive to the new Drive. I guess I am worried about problems that I might create by Moving MSFS from one drive to another, as far as updates, add ons, etc.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I bought a 1TB M2 drive, and am wondering what would be better, to clone my present SSD ( 480 GB) which has OS plus MSFS  to the new drive, so everything is on the new drive, or to "Move" MSFS from my C Drive to the new Drive. I guess I am worried about problems that I might create by Moving MSFS from one drive to another, as far as updates, add ons, etc.  

I would move the packages folder and update the usercfg.opt file entry.

1. Create a folder on the new D drive and name it "MSFS" or whatever you like

2. Locate the Local Cache \ Packages folder  (containing the Official and Community folders)

3. Copy this (big) folder to your new MSFS folder

4. Locate the Usercfg.opt file in the Local Cache folder, and edit the last line:

InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages"

to

InstalledPackagesPath "D:\MSFS\Packages"

5. Start up MSFS

6. If all works correctly, rename the original Packages folder on the C drive to Packages_bak

7. Start up MSFS

8. If all works correctly, delete the Packages_bak folder if you would like to reclaim the space

BTW.. if you use Addons Linker, got to Tools/Options and check the location of the Community folder.

You may have to tell it the new location.. or it may pick it up from MSFS.. not sure..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 7

Bert

That is a good question.  I have purchased a 1 TB M2 as well. My C drive is 550gb with only 60 GB renaming.  I am thinking of moving all of the C drive to a new C drive and the smaller TB for back up E drive. Hope alll will work since I used steam for MSFS. 

I figure that there will be some good sales during Christmas. 

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

21 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I would move the packages folder and update the usercfg.opt file entry.

Does this make sense?  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

42 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Does this make sense?  

Yup.. the Move app function has been improved by MS a while back.. and this indeed should work.

My suggestion above is for if you do not trust MS completely.. your call.

Be aware that if you use the "Move app" function... it will look as if MSFS is still on your C drive.. but in actual fact, everything is now linked to the "WpSystem" folder on the new drive.. so that takes a little bit of getting used to..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

I always keep as many programs as possible off of my C drive…good to have breathing room there for the OS.  I have a 500GB SSD as my C drive and a 2TB drive for MSFS (plus a few other drives for other programs).

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

thanks for this thread guys just what i was looking for , for some reason unknown to me, the dummy package files MSFS set up when I installed non default ( different drive) is now being used as the default Community , hence my C drive is now filling up rapido !

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

2 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

thanks for this thread guys just what i was looking for , for some reason unknown to me, the dummy package files MSFS set up when I installed non default ( different drive) is now being used as the default Community , hence my C drive is now filling up rapido !

Are you sure... it may look that way..  What is the size of the WpSystem folder on your "different drive"?

Bert

oh Bertie you may be right its 415 GB 🤔

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

1 minute ago, sonny147 said:

oh Bertie you may be right its 415 GB 🤔

Yup.. MS uses smoke and mirrors (links) to make believe things are still on the C drive.

Bert

it was set to read only could that be why software installs havent been able to use it ?

10 minutes ago, sonny147 said:

it was set to read only could that be why software installs havent been able to use it ?

Not sure what you are asking..

Bert

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Does this make sense?  

Bob, if you go the "move" route... create a new Windows restore point after the successful completion and test.

I found the hard way, that previous restore points may no longer work and make an MSFS reinstall necessary..

Bert

16 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Not sure what you are asking..

no worries Bert,  I'm not sure either lol, thanks for help all the same 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Bob, if you go the "move" route... create a new Windows restore point after the successful completion and test.

I found the hard way, that previous restore points may no longer work and make an MSFS reinstall necessary..

I have never had much faith in restore, especially with complex programs. I back up everything on Macrium, so if something screws up, I can always get back where i was. I guess the only thing I am concerned about is add ons like Fenix, etc, will they still work if MSFS is switched to a different drive.?