Sign in to follow this  
Waldo Pepper

Old Bridge Airport at Raceway Park, New Jersey

Very nice scenery, used to go there until they closed the dragstrip and tore it down. Well pick it up for the memories.

Old bridge raceway park. 1992 my first US drag race I visited. Bruce Larson driving Garlits' streamliner and I believe Berstein's second 300 mph run.

I'll get this one for shure.   Thanks Waldo

• Like 2

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

13 hours ago, hansb57 said:

Old bridge raceway park. 1992 my first US drag race I visited. Bruce Larson driving Garlits' streamliner and I believe Berstein's second 300 mph run.

I'll get this one for sure.   Thanks Waldo

I was standing next to the starting line at Maple Grove raceway back in the 80's.  I was a major gearhead back then,  and I was focused on each car and their state of tune.  Often I could tell who would win by the sound.

A man standing next to me started talking back and forth with me about cars and tunes.   I never really looked over to see who I was talking to,  but we had a good conversation.  A while later he turned,  told me to have a good day,   and walked away into the crowd.   A matter of seconds.

As he walked away, someone near us turned to me and said,  "Do you realize who you were just talking to?".

I said,  "I wasn't really paying attention to the crowd". 

He laughed a little and said,   "you just had a half hour long conversation with Don Garlits".     

Garlits is one of the most humble people on the planet.  It wasn't Don Garlits "the celebrity" standing there,  he was Don Garlits "the racing fan".

He was racing top fuel that day,   but he still wanted to see the other classes run.   We were watching the Pro Stock cars run.

He's 90,  and spends his time trying to break 200mph in electric dragsters.

• Like 3