Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

GPS waypoint database?

Just wondering if there was a GPS waypoint database somewhere in the FSX file system. I'm trying to set up some permanent waypoints so I can practice emergency RNAV (GPS) landings. Anyone have any ideas?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There is no single "database" of GPS data. Instead, it is distributed among several hundred .bgl files...In short, you can't add to, subtract from, update or otherwise molest GPS data. :-smile12

Wonder why they didn't put the option of fat fingering a GPS way point through the GPS 500/295? I know you can utilize the flight planner, however if I want to practice holding over a point I still have to select a departure airport and an arrival airport, which then the GPS automatically pluses up to your next way point once flying over. I guess I utilize the OBS button?

If you mean to permanently change waypoints, you can add sim waypoints using the bglcomp from the sdk. These are visible in both the map views and gps. There isn't yet a good tool for dumping all the FSX waypoints, like Super Flight Planner can do for FS9.note that in the sim, there are terminal_waypoints which have to be nested in an airport element (these show as blue) when compiling and "non" terminal waypoints (for lack of a better term) which don't require any airport (these show as magenta).scott s..

You can set the GPS to a single waypoint by entering the waypoint - use the Direct To button.You don't need a start and end airport - just a flight.Now it won't be an IFR flight to the FS ATC.

>If you mean to permanently change waypoints, you can add sim>waypoints using the bglcomp from the sdk. These are visible>in both the map views and gps. There isn't yet a good tool>for dumping all the FSX waypoints, like Super Flight Planner>can do for FS9.Well, of course there are ways of using a sledgehammer approach to repair fine china, but it's hardly a viable alternative... ;)In fact, there is so much potential to FUBAR things with fat fingers, sloppy thinking, and incomplete knowledge, that I deliberately chose to say "not possible," although I should have added "{...at least not easily)" as a conditional. :-lol