Sign in to follow this  
Guest MattNW

Vista - I'm Confused

Guest Bud

I'd decided that I would likely plunge into Vista once the SP1 is out, assuming this to be towards the end of the year. However, I noticed an article in The Register - normally a very reliable source of info in the UK - that SP1 could be put back to 2008 and, possibly, even 2009. Additionally, I understand that testing is to start soon on the next OS. If you want to check out the article, it's at http://www.theregister.co.uk - just enter Visa SP1 into Search.I rang M/S in the UK and was told that an SP1 would be coming out but they could not confirm when. I got the same response to the question, which year would it come out. They indicated that issues were being dealt with by updates as and when they were identified.Have to say I'm now very confused on two levels. Is there a clear position relating to SP1 and secondly, is the current Vista merely a stop gap before we see another new OS, much as wasthe case with ME.Bud

I have both Vista and XP installed on my new machine. Vista is fine now, stable, lots of drivers, it has some features that can be real annoying but I don't see any reason to wait if you want to use it. The question is... do you?Disk thrashing is crazy on Vista, I had to turn off Superfetch to get it to settle down, it was thrashing 24-7 for no clear reason at all. Also all the pop up warnings get old really fast. It also seems to lock me out of directories depending on what user is logged in. I attempted to back up all my personal files once and 90% didn't copy do to some user security in Vista, but the silly thing is if I boot in XP I can see anyones Vista files. If one is building a new machine, I'd probably put Vista on the new, otherwise I'd stick with XP. I really don't see anything in Vista that is worth paying for if you already have XP.The Register is anti MS and anti Intel at best, I wouldn't put too much merit in what they say. I think they usually refer MS or Intel as the vole?If you can get a hold of Vista install DVD, you can try it out for a couple weeks as you have up to 30 days to activate, if it looks good buy a copy and activate your install just by typing in the new serial.

Guest Bud

Sound advice - thanks. I popped in to my local computer workshop and they are basically confirming the article in the Register. They are, apparently, not at all happy with the situation relating to Vista.I think I'll probably leave it for a little while and see what develops. I have a home cockpit and have had quite a few problems converting over to FSX - not sure, at this stage, that I want an OS which may provide even more probs Bud

My local computer shop has posted a notice that they will continue to offer both Vista or XP on new desktops- for the "foreseeable future-at least until the end of '07."Hmm? Alex Reid

Guest jlwoodward

My new computer came with Vista and I found it difficult to get used to both because the appearance is all new and I couldn't change or manipulate files. As has been mentioned, there are so many pop up warnings and it gets very annoying quickly.However, I found that you can change the settings to the traditional Windows appearance, and I know now how to click on properties to change the security settings of a file. It is working much better now, but for a home user like me I really don't see the point of it compared to XP.Now, that being said, I have had no problems running FSX other than an occasional stutter (with most of the sliders cranked up but not all of them to the right) but nothing like before even with FS9. The improved performance is probably more related to the computer than to Vista though.

>>However, I found that you can change the settings to the>traditional Windows appearance, and I know now how to click on>properties to change the security settings of a file. It is>working much better now, but for a home user like me I really>don't see the point of it compared to XP.>How do you stop a specific program from bringing up the UAC warning popup. Example, I run CPU-Z often to check my CPU speed and settings. Despite running the same program, Vista keeps poping up the warning. I'd like to be able to flag programs as OK to run, but can't see how?

Guest diajohn2

I think disabling UAC is the smartest thing I did with Vista. Unless you do some odd stuff with downloads and other stuff, UAC is overkill for kiddies and Mac users, IMHO

I agree, turn off UAC. I am running Vista and it is great. I had Xp installed before and I also had Vista and XP set up in a dual boot and I saw no performance gain on FS9 or FSX. This topic has been discussed before. It seems from following other threads that it can be user specific. FSX and FS9 seem to run differently on different computers. Adding variables like computer specs, graphics cards and OS's and you have got a maze to work through. I have never run benchmarks but my sims run smoothly enough for me. Just my experience.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest cbuchner1

Three things from my experience with Vista:Vista's Explorer likes to crash on me for no apparent reason.Copying and moving folders with lots of files was really slow in the Vista Explorer. Now just recently there's a patch out for this annoying issue.I am having trouble getting Tileproxy to play nice with Vista. ;)

>I'd like to be able to flag programs as OK to run, but can't>see how?Open your Explorer window and find the program's .exe file. Right click and flag it to run in Administrator mode (or something like that). I don't own Vista, but try to keep up with the 'tricks...' ;)BTW, the primary purpose of UAC is to protect your system......from yourself! *:-*

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest UlfB

>BTW, the primary purpose of UAC is to protect your>system......from being used? ;-)Ulf B

>>BTW, the primary purpose of UAC is to protect your>>system...>>...from being used? ;-)Angry Customer calling MS Support: "My computer won't start anymore!"Tech Rep: "Do you mean it does nothing at all? You don't even get a DOS prompt?"AC: "No! It does nothing but display an error message!"TR: "What's the error message say?"AC: "It says 'System Not Found!'"TR: "Really! What did you do just before this problem appeared?"AC: "Nothing special! I was trying to clean up my hard drive by getting rid of some unneeded file and typed in 'DELTREE C:*.*'" *:-* UAC is MS's response to these type of user-disconnect-from-reality type errors... ;)Personally, I think they'd be better off simply popping up some carefully crafted but witty messages such as:"That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. Are you sure you have the competence to own me?"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest MattNW

>BTW, the primary purpose of UAC is to protect your>system...>>...from yourself! *:-* Each new operating system from MS is like a bad marriage. They get more and more controlling, questioning everything you do. Sometimes makes me nostalgic for the old days of DOS.I purchased a new notebook with Vista. Now I wish I'd purchased the same computer earlier when they came with XP. @cbuchner1I had problems with Vista and slow file copying. Traced the problem to the AV program. I uninstalled Mcaffee and loaded Avast! and no more problem. I think there's just too much interaction between Vista and any of the bloatware AV programs. Choose one with a small footprint and you should be OK.

The slow file-copying issue with Vista is a well-documented problem. It's there for everyone regardless of the AV program used. MS has a hotfix available (to those who complain loudly enough) which will be included in SP1 but it has not been officially issued as a standalone solution (a Google search will find it available from non-official sources however). You may want to try turning off Remore Differential Compression as that should help some. My personal suspicion is that there are other DRM-related functions which are a big part of the slowdown and, hopefully, a permanent fix will be more fully addressed.Doug Edit: And, I agree with you. I'm really kicking myself for not buying my notebook earlier. I'd give anything to get rid of Vista and get back to XP. The list of Vista issues grows every time I use it. Tried RDC yet?

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>Each new operating system from MS is like a bad marriage. They>get more and more controlling, questioning everything you do.This can be annoying to those of us who know what we're doing with computers, but given that the vast majority of computer users don't UAC is definitely a good thing.The other day I spent several hours removing a rootkit virus from a friend's XP computer. She had just received one of those greeting card hoax emails and, not being very computer savvy, had followed it up. This resulted in an executable being downloaded from the Internet and run without her knowledge; this program installed the virus.If she had been running Vista, the screen would have darkened and she would have been asked if they really wanted to run this program; this would have scared the bejeezus out of her and she would have quickly hit the cancel button.Of course I did get a nice bottle of wine out of the deal so I suppose I can't complain too much!Colin