Sign in to follow this  
Kaboki

Need help to talk too ATC(Vfr)

Is there a complete guide somewhere that has the correct sentence to say to ATC from start to end of flight and patterns work(Vfr). Like, what I mean, a "dummies guide to vatsim" , so I can just almost read from a script to what to say from start to finish. 

After having been a vatsim member since 2010, today was my first time I ever dared to actually ask for that radio check. I was sweating, scared:p, but after I got the reply, it felt like a big weight got off my shoulder and I feel ready to do my first touch and goes. But I need to know the whole flow from beginning to end written down on paper. 

Tried googling it, but cant really find what im looking for. 

Edited by Kaboki

Just now, mikethe6th said:

Which part of the world are you flying in? 

The whole world, but plan on keeping my vatsim activity in US and UK... 

Bit tricky since procedures are a bit different EASA vs USA. But the DutchVacc site has some nice examples. Keep in mind this is for NL airports, but it should be similiar for rest of Europe.

Here is an example VFR flight departing from EHRD (Class C controlled field)
EHRD – Rotterdam the Hague Airport – Dutch VACC – As Real As It Gets

Edited by UltimateAntic
  • Like 1

What happen if I use US phraseology in the UK or vice versa, will the controller eat me alive:p, or let it slide? Seems I have to focus on either EU or America and not booth, so it doesnt get to complicated for me...  And what happen if im in the air, my brain shuts down and I cant remember anything and get confused, do I get kicked off the network.?

Im really nervous making my first flight:), like I said, took me 12 years to get the courage for a radio check, 😂 

I’m away from home until tomorrow, where I have some scripts from my VFR flight training I can send you.

However, really don’t overthink this. You’re on a simulated network. Like in the real world, if anything doesn’t make sense, just ask for it in plain English. It’s a great network of people where 90% will want to help you. 

I’ve only ever flown IFR on Vatsim, but a VFR Gatwick (EGKK) sounds somewhat fun. I don’t mind doing that with you so you get through your first flight. I’m fairly sure they used to do pilot training programmes… unsure if they still do. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes, please, send your script, that would be really helpful. 

Good to hear that there is room for mistakes. Tought vatsim was very strict.

To find schedule to do it with you would be very difficult, because I never know when I get time for serious flying, the stars have to align, my wife need to be at work, my Child need to be in kindergarden, and I also need to find time off from work. I have a hard time to put up even a schedule for myself:p. But thanks for the offer, but think it will be impossible... 

Edited by Kaboki

Don't worry,

as much as I like to speak out of ATC environment, ATC parlance is still a nightmare to me 😕 IRL...

I seldom used ATC in my RL flying because as a glider pilot only I mostly talk to local traffic / radio / afis, and the kind of interaction is minimal.

Although I fly gliders for more than 42 years and use flight simulators for more than 30, and have also created VATSIM and IVAO accounts long ago, I never had the guts to try it... The moment I have to speak I completely block, and it's so ridiculous that I feel even more miserable when I stare at those youtube videos of cockpit interaction with ATC and wonder how they can even get it going and understand all of what the guys say from the other "side of the frequency" 🙂

A few years ago when my ICAO license turned into JAR-FCL and finally EASA GPL, the "radiotelephony competences" became erased from my license (???). When I asked the civil aviation authority how this could comply with using the radio in the gliders I fly they replied - "you can't" 😕

So... now I am left with, if I want to continue to fly this way, start a tedious bureaucratic process against the decision of the civil aviation authority or, simply do a VFR COM exam and get the necessary certification because otherwise when flying out of my country in Europe I will always have to fly with someone with those competences .... 

Which brings back the will I always had of finding a flight simulator that could actually help with the most basic aspects of ATC phraseology, ideally region-based because as someone already mentioned it varies considerably for instance between EEC and the American Continent.

For interesting and useful documentation you can try searching for:

- Eurocontrol EGAST "A GUIDE TO PHRASEOLOGY for general aviation pilots in Europe"

- Civil Aviation Authority CAP 413 - "Radiotelephony Manual"

- And the ICAO Reference in ATC: ICAO Doc  9432 Manual of Radiotelephony

The two simulators I tried recently, MFS and XP12, still leave a lot to be desired regarding their ATC "robots", so indeed using an external ATC application or connecting to VATSIM or IVAO, or paid ATC simulation networks still look like the best alternatives.

Good luck! and please report back any success!!!

Edited by cagarini
  • Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Hands down (all summed up) Best sim ever!!!

Pfffff, all the mentioning off these books make me want to go and sleep:p. I cant get things to stick just reading books.

What I need is a simple script, that shows all calls from deliverance to taxi, tower and takeoff, touch and go, and all calls around the circuit so I can start practicing touch and go. Next step would be a script that gets me from one airport to another Vfr... 

I found learning like this is the easiest for me and just repeating until I understand the flow. 

Im watching youtube videos, to try and write down all calls, but its a chore and its easy to miss what was being said and I dont want to log on, and then start reading incorrect calls... 

I found it on vatsim site, but unfortunately all off those examples are IFR tube flying... 

Also wonder about something and when to use. 

E. G

Rotterdam Ground, PHHTM, Cessna 182, In front of jet center, Information ‘J’, VFR to Seppe, Request start-up.”

In this example they use information juliet, in other examples I have seen they use "information bravo" also seen Golf... What does it mean and when do I change them?

1 hour ago, keithb77 said:

Yes, this was exactly what I needed, thank you so much. Is this phrasology only valid for EU and is it allowed in UK? 

Also I have another, question, sorry. But how do you guys do this in VR, I mean howto take notes? 

Edited by Kaboki

3 hours ago, Kaboki said:

Also wonder about something and when to use. 

E. G

Rotterdam Ground, PHHTM, Cessna 182, In front of jet center, Information ‘J’, VFR to Seppe, Request start-up.”

In this example they use information juliet, in other examples I have seen they use "information bravo" also seen Golf... What does it mean and when do I change them?

Thats the current active ATIS information. Each controlled airport has one. If no ATIS is available you don't have to mention it.

If you use vPilot, it has a section showing the available ATIS stations when connected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaboki said:

Yes, this was exactly what I needed, thank you so much. Is this phrasology only valid for EU and is it allowed in UK? 

Also I have another, question, sorry. But how do you guys do this in VR, I mean howto take notes? 

It was recommended by the BGA course so will be valid for UK.

If you have FSKneeboard Pro you can take notes in VR

• Like 1

Thank you so very much all that helped me here. I feel now Im getting somewhere, now my problem is I dont have time for simming before maybe 1 week, to try all this out. Anyway, I can start and try to read some more and prepare myself for my first flight:)