Sign in to follow this  
eddl

Feature request for busy airports

Hi,

I have a great time using PSXT - thank you so much for this masterpiece of software!

There is just one thing that would improve it even more - if time allows of course.

Scenario: busy airport like EGLL, line-up queue on 27R, full approach with minimal spacing on 27L.

As the injected real world traffic is not aware of the user aircraft, they won't give me the time and space to line up and depart and on approach I cannot squeeze myself between other arrivals without getting too close to them.

For departures: I use the collision detection and taxi right through a fellow aircraft and take its position in the queue. Other aircraft will not run into me anymore then. But I have to anticipate what the now invisible aircraft is doing. If there is currently no other aircraft lining up, is this my call or is there an aircraft on approach? I suggest to replace the aircraft I purposely ran into with a transparent unobtrusive circle on the ground, still showing the aircraft position, but without the aircraft being displayed. That way I can follow this ground marking and have my space in the line-up queue and proper spacing on departure. Remove the circle at about 60 knots speed, so it does not follow the invisible aircraft into the air.

Suggestion for arrivals:

I would also like to take a position of an injected aircraft on approach, to have proper spacing. But intentionally flying into it to get it removed is not an option. Is there a way to clear other aircraft on approach? FSLTL has a toolbar to do that. But maybe you can add an collision detection option for that. Still thinking about the parameters though. Maybe a button to clear all air traffic which is 2 nautical miles around me (plus/minus 3000ft)? 

Just some ideas. Looking forward to your input. No pressure at all to implement this! 🙂

Thank you!

Are you not aware of the option to block a real live aircraft from showing up in the Sim and to take it's place?

Edited by kiek

4 hours ago, kiek said:

Are you not aware of the option to block a real live aircraft from showing up in the Sim and to take it's place?

Yes, I am aware. But seems impossible to follow it very closely from departure till landing. And I cannot see where it is in the sim to use its position in the approach separation, or can I?

I would need a second pilot to monitor the real aircraft I guess. 🙂

Seems not an adequate solution unfortunately.

5 hours ago, eddl said:

And I cannot see where it is in the sim to use its position in the approach separation, or can I?

Yes you can, use the RealTraffic Radar screen, or FR24.

See some video's at my website.

Edited by kiek

6 hours ago, kiek said:

Yes you can, use the RealTraffic Radar screen, or FR24.

See some video's at my website.

Sure, but I would have to spend most of my time in the cockpit chasing this aircraft. Also not really possible in VR. Therefore my suggestions for departure and arrival, not requiring to follow a specific aircraft enroute.

Thanks for your help.

9 hours ago, eddl said:

Therefore my suggestions for departure and arrival, not requiring to follow a specific aircraft enroute.

What you suggest is not possible I am afraid...Simconnect does not let me draw circles.

6 hours ago, kiek said:

What you suggest is not possible I am afraid...Simconnect does not let me draw circles.

Thanks for your feedback. But it could be a model which moves? It can be anything, just a small marker that moves instead the actual aircraft. Can be a small ball (about 2m diameter) or whatever is easily available as a model and not too intrusive. Must be visible from the cockpit within 100m distance, to be able to monitor it on the ground and follow it.

3 hours ago, eddl said:

Thanks for your feedback. But it could be a model which moves? It can be anything, just a small marker that moves instead the actual aircraft.

I can only spawn aircraft via SimConnect. So, if someone creates an AI aircraft in that shape, it would do the trick. My knowledge about AI models/liveries is limited, maybe someone else can step in, because this would be an ideal solution.

18 hours ago, kiek said:

I can only spawn aircraft via SimConnect. So, if someone creates an AI aircraft in that shape, it would do the trick. My knowledge about AI models/liveries is limited, maybe someone else can step in, because this would be an ideal solution.

I have no knowledge about creating models, but I will try to check the options.

Just exchanging the aircraft model after ground collision with a different model, showing some kind of moving ground marking would be great and should hopefully not too difficult (well ... still a lot of work to implement it including user option).

Thanks a lot for your feedback so far! Maybe someone in the community being able to create a very small and simple AI object which can be used as an moving indicator on ground.

I found this nice Follow me car: https://flightsim.to/file/31537/driveable-mitsubishi-pajero-io-2022

If I replace the blocked aircraft with this follow me car, and exclude it from collsion detection, would not that work well on the ground? It will show you perfectly when it is your time to enter the runway. 😉

It even works in the air .... a bit strange sight maybe, but perfectly visisible small yellow block.

Edited by kiek

That's a fantastic suggestion!

So, if we enter a call sign into the Black aircraft field, we'd get the Follow Me car where the aircraft would otherwise be (interesting thought to also do that in the air to make sure you're in the right spot in the pattern)?

The call sign that needs to be entered is what shows up in RealTraffic?

18 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

So, if we enter a call sign into the Black aircraft field, we'd get the Follow Me car where the aircraft would otherwise be (interesting thought to also do that in the air to make sure you're in the right spot in the pattern)?

Yes indeed, although I'll add a checkbox , If checked a follow me car, if not the normal blovcking behaviour: aircraft will not show..

18 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

The call sign that needs to be entered is what shows up in RealTraffic?

Yes the real live callsign. You can also see them in the Log.txt when an aircraft is matched.

Edited by kiek

Hi,

thank you very much for following up on this topic!

In the last day I downloaded the SDK and fiddled around to create a very basic AI aircraft (model to be decided), but I failed so far. 😞 It does not even require flight dynamics as PSXT will manage this I guess, but it did not work out and I could not find a guide for this.

I have looked for 3D models which might fit here and found something like this:

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/household/household-tools/map-pointer-cde7519e-91ab-440c-95ca-67dd8f1d4bb1?index=47

(I would sponsor this or something similar in case it gets implemented)

Not too big, not too eye-catching, but still visible. The follow-me is a nice idea, but having it accelerate along the runway and see it take off feels kind of strange. 😄

Would be nice to have some lighting at night, but then my knowledge about the SDK is completely lacking, even though I sent a considerable time in the documentation.

It is a nice idea to assign this marker to a fixed real-world flight number, but I would prefer to use this after collision detection on ground, so I can take any spot in the line-up queue, no matter where the aircraft ist going to.

Still thinking about it, any feedback is very welcome! Thanks a lot!

3 hours ago, vcaptain747 said:

Not sure if it will be visible enough though.

I did give the drone a try and it seems big enough to be visible from a distance. I edited the systems.cfg to add NAV and Beacon light which makes it visible in LOW VIS and night conditions.

Edited by vcaptain747