Sign in to follow this  
Jarnie

Windows Firewall keeps popping up

For the past few weeks (maybe since the last MSFS update, EVERYTIME I start MSFS I get a reminder that Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of flightsimulator.exe.

Private networks such as my home is always ticked (selected) and so I click on 'allow access'

This used to happen occasionally in the past but now it happens EVERYTIME I start MSFS.

I have checked Windows Firewall for somewhere to 'tell' it that MSFS is 'ok' ie trusted but cannot find how to.

Any ideas?

Edited by Jarnie
typo

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

@Jarnie I moved your topic from the Tips and Tricks section to the main MSFS forum where support topics go. The section you posted in is for people to post tips for the sim but not support questions. 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Try this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security-811816c0-4dfd-af4a-47e4-c301afe13b26

I have excluded the exe file and the folder, do exclude the process as well. An exclusion for the Community Folder could help too.

Good luck

Mick

PC: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite, AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Super Aorus Master, DDR5 G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 2X32 GB, Corsair HX 1000, Fractal Torrent, Samsung LC32 / G7 1440P.

I have Windows defender turned off, and I still see a pop up like this occasionally. I have Webroot Firewall, and don't need Defender mucking up things. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 hours ago, Jarnie said:

For the past few weeks (maybe since the last MSFS update, EVERYTIME I start MSFS I get a reminder that Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of flightsimulator.exe.

Private networks such as my home is always ticked (selected) and so I click on 'allow access'

This used to happen occasionally in the past but now it happens EVERYTIME I start MSFS.

I have checked Windows Firewall for somewhere to 'tell' it that MSFS is 'ok' ie trusted but cannot find how to.

Any ideas?

After some quick googling, I came across these two suggestions:

What I did was go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Security tab > Local internet zone. Unlike the other zones this one didn't have a slider to select security level, it just said something about resetting to default if I wanted to. So click the Default Level button and that brings back the security slider at the Medium-low setting.

This fixed my Windows firewall. No idea how it got in that state.

I just solved the issue. I was poking around group policy. I navigated to firewall configuration under network connections. I looked for o not allow firewall exceptions. Naturally it was set to "not configured" So firewall exceptions should have been allowed by default. I decided to toggle this on and off to see if there was a disconnect between this and reality. Surprisingly this worked. I do not know why. It doesn't make seance.

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have Windows defender turned off, and I still see a pop up like this occasionally. I have Webroot Firewall, and don't need Defender mucking up things. 

As noted in some previous discussion, I also use Webroot and have found it to be remarkably trouble free. However, its firewall only monitors outgoing traffic. Windows Defender continues to provide inbound firewall protection. Its explained here:

https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=17&app=vw&vw=1&solutionid=1301&t=You-want-to-know-if-SecureAnywhere-is-compatible-with-another-firewall#:~:text=The Webroot firewall monitors data,traffic coming into your computer.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

2 minutes ago, jrw4 said:

As noted in some previous discussion, I also use Webroot and have found it to be remarkably trouble free. However, its firewall only monitors outgoing traffic. Windows Defender continues to provide inbound firewall protection. Its explained here:

https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=17&app=vw&vw=1&solutionid=1301&t=You-want-to-know-if-SecureAnywhere-is-compatible-with-another-firewall#:~:text=The Webroot firewall monitors data,traffic coming into your computer.

Didn't know that, thanks. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks everyone.

Firstly sorry for mistaking that tips and tricks is for posting tips and tricks instead of wanting a tip.

I remember years ago with a firewall (maybe it was a third party firewall) that there was a section to enter 'trusted' web sites.

I will check out settings again as explained and see if I can fix Defender that way otherwise I will check out webroot and also search the internet for other firewalls and maybe  give Windows Defender the boot.

In the meantime (Mick) I followed the instructions at the web site and after getting to "Virus & threat protection settings" there was NO Manage settings to select so I could not go on to add an exclusion.

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

9 hours ago, Jarnie said:

Thanks everyone.

Firstly sorry for mistaking that tips and tricks is for posting tips and tricks instead of wanting a tip.

I remember years ago with a firewall (maybe it was a third party firewall) that there was a section to enter 'trusted' web sites.

I will check out settings again as explained and see if I can fix Defender that way otherwise I will check out webroot and also search the internet for other firewalls and maybe  give Windows Defender the boot.

In the meantime (Mick) I followed the instructions at the web site and after getting to "Virus & threat protection settings" there was NO Manage settings to select so I could not go on to add an exclusion.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=exclude a folder from windows defender scan windows 10 site:microsoft.com&form=B00032&ocid=SettingsHAQ-BingIA&mkt=en-US