Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

We have soaring weather....

Well,

I didn't yet had the time to check the new thermals and mountain up / down drafts, so went for a ride in the default AS-K21 moded brilliantly by the following edit of the total energy variometer:

ASK21 variometer / sim/cockpit2/gauges/indicators/total_energy_fpm - XP12 Gliding - X-Plane.Org Forum

Searched for nice soaring weather, to the South of our nichy Planet using Windy, with the soaring overlays:

WINDY THERMALS as of now - this post time stamp...

and there I was flying in a very plausible soaring weather evironment I feel very glad because this is the first time XP really gave me a good time flying a glider in soaring weather.

Not only weather (real world, downloaded) was pretty accurate, but also the way the thermals are modelled while not to the level of Condorsoaring or Silentwings, is still very plausible and at least makes us use real world techniques, and gives back the expected results, something I couldn't find, at all, in MFS...

Edited by cagarini
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

So no more uninstalls ??

Edited by Humpty
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

So no more uninstalls ??

Hmmm, that is asking way too much from an uninstaller 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

2 hours ago, cagarini said:

while not to the level of Condorsoaring or Silentwings, is still very plausible and at least makes us use real world techniques,

considering how much Ive seen this annoy you, just want to emphasise for anyone not so familier with your XP journey how significant a change this is, on top of just being otherwise great news.

Schweet.

• Like 2

AutoATC Developer

51 minutes ago, mSparks said:

considering how much Ive seen this annoy you, just want to emphasise for anyone not so familier with your XP journey how significant a change this is, on top of just being otherwise great news.

Schweet.

👍

Indeed mSparks, I'm really glad !!!

and willing to find time at the desktop to try some glider tasks 🙂

I was so pleased with the results that I even got the idea that the K-21 felt a bit better than in previous tests(?)

I know @Janov did some tweaking and there's athread at the .Org where he left a few alternative ".acf" files for users to try, so, maybe these got incorportaed into the latest XP12 beta?

Edited by cagarini

Main Simulation Rig:

1 hour ago, cagarini said:

Hmmm, that is asking way too much from an uninstaller 🙂

if we can do a shared flight that would be fun

58 minutes ago, Humpty said:

if we can do a shared flight that would be fun

Yes, that would be interesting, specially for me who never used XP in multiplayer 🙂

How can we use multiplayer in XP12 ?

I can set a task somewhere over Indi-Land or Porta-Land, and see how it goes 🙂

I am now going to try and make xCSoar work with XP12...

Main Simulation Rig:

4 hours ago, Humpty said:

So no more uninstalls ??

He can uninstall it anytime he wants and we will still like him because we know he will be back. 😄

But in all seriousness, what we are learning from him is his discovery of things that tells me that improvements are making it into the sim. He has given x plane a fair shake and if he is enjoying the things that make his flying experience closer to real life in the form of gliding, than there could be many others who are finding things they enjoy as well and that is refreshing to know.  

• Like 1

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LuwtwvQlBbCU5dW95viYtaN_rWE9ozIQ/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>

Edited by cagarini

Main Simulation Rig:

Next will be revisiting xCSoar or LK8000 solutions for XP.

They work well with XP11 so I guess I can make it work with 12 too...

Edited by cagarini

Main Simulation Rig:

7 hours ago, cagarini said:

Not only weather (real world, downloaded) was pretty accurate, but also the way the thermals are modelled while not to the level of Condorsoaring or Silentwings, is still very plausible and at least makes us use real world techniques, and gives back the expected results, something I couldn't find, at all, in MFS...

I'm barely starting to appreciate the gliders. I used them a bit in the past but it's only from the moment I switched to VR that I started using gliders much more often.

My real world experience with gliders is pretty limited, it was only a few minutes in control during a discovery flight, and it was only ridge lift, no thermals. Could you give us some more explanations about what made the thermals in XP12 so realistic ? Anything specific that I should look for, to understand what is right and what is wrong ?

I know Condor and Silentwings are the most realistic ones but I could never get the motivation to buy these 😕

Edited by Daube

Basically I'd say that for the first time I have been able to feel:

- stronger uplift the nearer I get to the base of the clouds, and actually already inside of the clouds although starting to decay as I climb inside the cloud towards the top...

- the whole system - cloud + rising column of air - are, apparently, correctly affected by the wind

- theres noticeable sink to the edges of the thermal

- ridge lift, and lee side downdrafts are more defined / realistic under the few situs I tested 

- I could use typical centering techniques (like the ones I use IRL) to try to center in the thermal, evrn with it's single column model... 

OFC I still have to give it more testing, and I will try to connect with xCSoar or LK8000 to be able to use those flight / soaring computers to extract additional info / insight on the way the thermals are being modeled as well as ridge lift...

Edited by cagarini
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

2 hours ago, cagarini said:

Yes, that would be interesting, specially for me who never used XP in multiplayer 🙂

How can we use multiplayer in XP12 ?

I can set a task somewhere over Indi-Land or Porta-Land, and see how it goes 🙂

I am now going to try and make xCSoar work with XP12...

Hmm, I am not sure how it works. But we can try and set it up.

Which glider to download ? we use a glider

The default k21 is good to go!

But you will not stand such slow flying... 😜

Ya need speed!!!

Edited by cagarini

Main Simulation Rig:

5 hours ago, cagarini said:

Basically I'd say that for the first time I have been able to feel:

- stronger uplift the nearer I get to the base of the clouds, and actually already inside of the clouds although starting to decay as I climb inside the cloud towards the top...

- the whole system - cloud + rising column of air - are, apparently, correctly affected by the wind

- theres noticeable sink to the edges of the thermal

- ridge lift, and lee side downdrafts are more defined / realistic under the few situs I tested 

- I could use typical centering techniques (like the ones I use IRL) to try to center in the thermal, evrn with it's single column model... 

OFC I still have to give it more testing, and I will try to connect with xCSoar or LK8000 to be able to use those flight / soaring computers to extract additional info / insight on the way the thermals are being modeled as well as ridge lift...

Ok, I'm not sure about the realism of the up or down drafts next to ridges, how realistic they are in each sim etc...Lacking the real world experience makes it impossible to appreciate these things 😞

For the thermal centering techniques, you have any advice ? I actually don't know the real-world procedures, so any tip is very welcome 🙂

• Like 1