Sign in to follow this  
peloto

How about the DRM in MSFS?

Is it like a shameless big fat hog eating PC resources like Denuvo, or is it ok and not a performance eater?

I think the only DRM it uses is the store front its tied to and needing a Microsoft account.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Upvote 1

Or Steam and a Microsoft Account.

• Upvote 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

38 minutes ago, Paladin2005 said:

Or Steam and a Microsoft Account.

Steam DRM is not normally resource heavy, though.  Hence the concern of gamers who find Steam games with added Denuvo, for example.

Alas, I don't think we'll see MSFS on GOG any time soon.

• Upvote 1

Had to re install MSFS 2020 from the original disks. When I went to re enter my supplied code it wouldn't accept it. It stated already redeemed.

Having contacted support it got even more complicated as I'd changed my email address in the interim as my ISP no longer supported mail services. It turns out that the redeemed code is associated with your email address and can never be changed, despite being able to prove who I was and supplying invoice/order numbers associated with my original purchase.. It got sorted in the end by installing from the store as the support team member had done some tweaking at the backend and advised me to install that way instead. 

No idea what will happen if I were to reinstall from disk again so I now back up all of my data as I should have done in the first place.

1 hour ago, Quaere Verum said:

Had to re install MSFS 2020 from the original disks. When I went to re enter my supplied code it wouldn't accept it. It stated already redeemed.

Having contacted support it got even more complicated as I'd changed my email address in the interim as my ISP no longer supported mail services. It turns out that the redeemed code is associated with your email address and can never be changed, despite being able to prove who I was and supplying invoice/order numbers associated with my original purchase.. It got sorted in the end by installing from the store as the support team member had done some tweaking at the backend and advised me to install that way instead. 

No idea what will happen if I were to reinstall from disk again so I now back up all of my data as I should have done in the first place.

I never use email tied to my ISP. I have used Gmail for years, and I can change ISPs all the time, and never lose my email address. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Bob a very naive choice on my part. 

Ironically I have had a gmail account as well for years but choose to use it as a back up. Needless to say that’s changed now.