Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Realism and FSX Acceleration

Hi Gunner,I have yet to create a mission and would like to give it a try (maybe freeware based on a real IFR flight scenario)- if I ever get time to get away from work :) . I don't have any programming background other than some old APLC code for FS95/98 that I used write, and I believe that this older code has been substituted for something else. How hard is it for a "non-programmer" to get into missions? How did you learn?Thanks, Bruce.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Bruce,It is surprisingly easy to get started creating simple missions.Here's how I started:There's really only one place on the web that I found where you can find a video tutorial outlining the process of getting started in making your own missions. (There may be more now, but I don't know of them.)I found this site to be VITAL (I'm more of a "visual learner"). It is not my site, and I don't really know whose site it is, but it is here and it is an excellent place to start:http://fsxmission.com/live/On the menu of this site, click "Learning Center" and then watch the two videos. Just watch them the entire way through first, without trying to follow along and doing anything. Just watch them.Then, watch each chapter again as you set up FSX for mission development, and off you go.While it's fairly easy to get started, you shouldn't underestimate the learning curve for some of the advanced elements (voice recording, creating rewards, making your mission briefing, etc.) But, the forum on this site is where I asked all the questions a new mission creator could ask, and found all the answers there, so the forums proved vital.Good luck!

I too would like to get into writing missions but wish there was an add on program that would make it easier-I just find I don't have the time like I used to to delve into something like this.I would love to see a series based on real life emergencies that can work out if the correct decisions are made. I think this would be a valuable training tool for pilots!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>>>>Cross Country Racing - in this form you fly using "regular>>aircraft navigation" to go from waypoint to waypoint.>>>>Forgive me if I am asking a dumb question...but I am not too>familiar with long missions like you describe above...>>If you do a long race, like England-to-Australia, save, and>exit FS, can you pick up your race where you last left off?>>Or does the mission "reset" and not save in the flt?>>>RhettYou can't really save in a multiplayer race, so if people really want to race that far, they would be in it for the long haul, in real-time...We have intentionally not created races that are that long.

>Paul,>>I notice that you say in your blog that FSX Acceleration has>now added modeling of superchargers, and that it also now>includes modeling of turbine engines for helicopters.>>1. Will these additional features make it into regular FSX in>SP2, or are these Acceleration-only features?>>2. Is turbine engine modeling better for all aircraft, or just>helicopters? I'm no expert, but I know that lots of people>complain of the "lackluster" modeling of turbo-props in FS up>to this point, although I don't know exactly what is wrong>with it today (some of it has to do with incorrect sound>during reverse thrust, and there are other issues).>>3. Can you go into a little more detail regarding exactly what>you mean about these two improvements?>>Thanks!>>Thomas>Good questions Thomas, but I'm not sure I'll be able to answer them in enough detail for you.1. I mentioned earlier in the thread that the new systems will not work in earlier versions of FS. It's a complicated issue, but the bottom line is that they won't.2. We didn't previously have true turbine engine support in helicopters. Now we have that support as well as support for multi-engine helicopters. I really don't know if the way a turbine is modeled has been changed.>>I like using VC's :-)>N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Guest Gunner_CAF

>Hi Gunner,>>I have yet to create a mission and would like to give it a try>(maybe freeware based on a real IFR flight scenario)- if I>ever get time to get away from work :) . I don't have any>programming background other than some old APLC code for>FS95/98 that I used write, and I believe that this older code>has been substituted for something else. How hard is it for a>"non-programmer" to get into missions? How did you learn?>>Thanks, Bruce.>>I am not a programmer. The advice about FSXmission.com is good. There are some good video tutorials there to help get started. Read the manual, everything you need is in there.I won't kidd anyone that it is easy, but it is a challenge. If you like challenges... it is quite rewarding.Gunner

Thanks fsmissionguy and Gunner,Some good references, I will take a look.Geof, I think that you and I are on the same track- what better way to introduce some real flying into FSX.Thanks, Bruce.

<>Well, that certainly sounds like a long race alright :->. Our Cross Country courses tend to only be between 30 and 60 minutes in length. The 3rd party community could certainly create longer ones (hmm, how about a 3000nm race between an airbus and a boeing, that might make the tube drivers happy :-> ). You can also do really short races, my primary test race is 3 red bull style gates setup along the runway at KEZF (Fredericksburg, VA - where I live :-> ) roughly 1000 to 2000 meters in total length using 2 ultralights (you just release the parking brake and hit F4 on 2 machines side by side and see who gets there first :-> )<<... save, and exit FS, can you pick up your race where you last left off?>>We don't allow saving of MP missions/races, so no, you won't be able to do that. There are some single player versions of some of the courses (for solo training :-> ), you might be able to save one of those in progress but I haven't actually tried it myself so it might not work :->.

You might want to consider considering these types of races in your next round of mission designs and feature enhancements. This is a very common style of Multi-player race for schools like Embry Riddle and Daniel Webster College as something fun and still a learning experience.They've done them on Vatsim.I don't know that they'd want to stop and save in the middle of the race, but I assume there may be challenges in this type of race that might need some consideration.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg