Sign in to follow this  
Wrightt

MSFS Active runway

1 hour ago, Wrightt said:

All I have said is that I would like to have the option to designate the active arrival and departure runways at my departure and destination airports. That’s all. I would use RL ATIS to make that determination, but it would be an OPTION. If you are satisfied with the MSFS default, that’s fine. If you are flying somewhere where there is no ATIS, that’s fine - just leave it as is. It would only be one option.

Why does it matter? If I am using RL traffic and RL weather in my sim experience, why is it unreasonable to also use RL runway assignments - if that’s how I would like to use the sim? Again - an OPTION.

BTW - in my years as a RL traffic controller, I never experienced a scenario where the ATIS didn’t reasonably keep up with drastic weather changes, but even if that were the case, since I am monitoring METARs (as is the tower), I would again have the OPTION of changing the active runways to meet that situation.

I use PF3 for ATC,. If I don't like either a departure runway or arrival runway, I can just ask for a different runway. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, G550flyer said:

The problem arise when MSFS is doing something different.

Or...the problem arises when we do something different than what MSFS does 😉  I understand, it's just that's not how i use the sim so fortunately I'm not 'driven to distraction' as others might be.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Or...the problem arises when we do something different than what MSFS does 😉  I understand, it's just that's not how i use the sim so fortunately I'm not 'driven to distraction' as others might be. 

Yeah, sure. I'm a real world pilot so those type of thing stands out. But to each their own and I respect others who operate as they see fit😏.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I use PF3 for ATC,. If I don't like either a departure runway or arrival runway, I can just ask for a different runway. 

How does that work? I'm not getting any window asking for the runway so I can't answer Y or N.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 hour ago, Nixoq said:

How does that work? I'm not getting any window asking for the runway so I can't answer Y or N.

ctrl-shift-W   then you can scroll through all the runways. Page 123 in the PF3 user guide. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 3/22/2023 at 2:56 PM, Wrightt said:

But if you were interested in knowing how MSFS assignments compared with real world without access to something like ATIS, you could find out by going to flightaware.com, where I just checked the comings and goings at EDDF.  

Is the main part of your goal to have AI traffic and ATC aligned with current conditions, at least as close as possible RW current conditions?  If so then you can simply change departure and arrival runways to those RW conditions, and ATC will comply.  But I guess the problem becomes AI traffic may be cleared to other runways?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

14 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

ctrl-shift-W   then you can scroll through all the runways. Page 123 in the PF3 user guide. 

But do you get a dialog window? I don't so I don't know how to ask for a different runway.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 hour ago, Nixoq said:

But do you get a dialog window? I don't so I don't know how to ask for a different runway.

It pops up a window asking you if you want the runway you were assigned and you respond with ctril-shift-N or ctrl-shift-Y, then it pops up the next runway etc.... If you don't   see that, maybe you changed your hot keys. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1