Sign in to follow this  
joby33y

Massive FPS drop when exit VR back to 2D

I am experiencing a problem that hasn’t occurred until this latest update.  I’m getting good frames while in 2D, then I switch into VR & working great.  But as soon as I exit VR (hotkey back to 2D during flight), it’s a slideshow….FPS drops to 5.  Basically unusable.  

nVidia 3080, driver 531.41 latest, HP Revrb G2, sim updated, OpenXR reinstalled. Something’s broken.  

Edited by joby33y
typos

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

Close the WMR window and 2D will be back up to normal, been this way since the beginning for me. It will then be fine going back into VR.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

3 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Close the WMR window and 2D will be back up to normal, been this way since the beginning for me. It will then be fine going back into VR.

Yes @MarcG that does work & thanks !  However, what’s weird is that it didn’t used to be this way before SU12.  I could Alt-V with no problem back to 2D.  And killing then restarting WMR is a pain - I flip in and out of VR during my flights.  Arrggghhh…..

• Like 1

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

I’ve had this problem for months, good to know closing the WMR closes it. 

And setting the 2D window to a small size until it stabilises can also help

• Upvote 1

Yes, it seems this issue is related to resource management. (My 3080 card has ‘only’ 11GB VRAM).   I’m not totally sure whether there’s a bug in OpenXR or what, but further experimentation has shown that the problem can be mitigated by turning down the 2D settings, matching graphics settings (where possible) between VR and 2D modes, and unplugging my 2nd monitor.   And of course its not nearly as bad when not flying the PMDG 738.  

Is it time to upgrade my graphics card ?  😀

rgds, JB

It's a very common problem.  I started in VR sims with XP-11 and there, coming out of VR and then trying to get back in was (and, presumably still is) a complete no-no.  Often it would completely crash the sim.  Tried XP-12 recently and it was worse!

MSFS is better - but still problematic.  I don't know exactly what goes on, but I suspect that the VRAM, cache or similar holds data from the VR session even though you've gone 2D and so, when you try to reload VR, it overloads.  This has been the same for me throughout my MSFS VR journey and multiple upgrades of MSFS/CPU/GPU/Motherboard/RAM and VR headset!

So my golden rule is that I get everything ready in 2D and then once I switch to VR, I stay in it.  If I DO have to go back to 2D and then return in the same flight, then it will work - but I know it is going to be a stutter-fest.  

With X-plane, the only solution for me used to be to close the program, turn off the headset and reboot everything again (indeed, sometimes I had to re-boot the whole PC).  At least with MSFS generally you just have to pull out of the flight, back to the MSFS main menu and start the flight again - although I still turn off WMR and reboot the headset at the same time for good measure.

Edited by AJZip

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2