Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Cold & Dark Start Not Working Initially

Since the last update a cold & dark start doesn't seem to function properly (on the 1st attempt).  Even after choosing a ramp or gate position, FS is placing me on the runway with the engine running.  I then have to exit, recreate the flight plan and reset the passengers and cargo of the aircraft (with the exact same settings).  Then it usually will spawn appropriately on the ramp.

The second attempt is usually successful, though I did have one instance that took 3 tries to start properly.  Frustrating and time consuming...

There have also been some variations of this, such as not showing anything but the runway selected as the starting point (even though I clicked on a ramp position and it made the click that indicates it registered).  Ironically, even though the FP still shows the start position as a runway, it usually spawns on the ramp in that scenario.

Randall Rocke

I found a similar  bug ! After you select parking location for departure and then change something on your route, it automatically defaults aircraft position to active runway. So every time I temper with "generated route" I check parking position to see if it switched to runway or not

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Interesting.  I don't recall changing items on the route (waypoints, etc.) which were imported from Navigraph/SimBrief.  However, I often have to correct the departure or arrivals when the MSFS planner messes up (which is often).

My import will include all info, but the flight planner will often add a SID or STAR that was not in the imported plan or remove one that was.  I correct these errors to match the original plan.  Maybe these adjustments are causing the change to a runway start.  I can verify that in all cases over the last several days that the start position listed for the flight plan was verified as a ramp or gate before I clicked Fly.

Randall Rocke

I have/had the same issue. I found the answer on Reddit. If you select a parking spot and the go select an aircraft you will be spawned on the runway ready to go. Select your aircraft first then a parking place. It's something that one does without thinking. It is, apparently,  a bug. 

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Just add to that. I think you can get away with Parking first, aeroplane second if you choose a spot far away from runway entrances. So no trying to get away with short taxiing!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

4 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I have/had the same issue. I found the answer on Reddit. If you select a parking spot and the go select an aircraft you will be spawned on the runway ready to go. Select your aircraft first then a parking place. It's something that one does without thinking. It is, apparently,  a bug. 

I'll give this a try.

Randall Rocke

Having the same issue and I've been selecting the aircraft first. Very frustrating.

I've now had one flight with selecting the aircraft first and it did start on the ramp.  It remains to be seen as to whether this will continue.

Before selecting the parking position I:

• Selected aircraft
  • Loaded fuel
  • Loaded passengers
  • Loaded cargo/baggage

With the aircraft completely prepared I then selected the ramp.  I even had to change the arrival procedure, yet she still started cold.  Fingers crossed for now.

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

Interesting experience just then, I picked the aircraft, loaded the flight (ex Little NavMap), MSFS refused to allow me to select a Gate or Ramp so I was resigned to trying a couple of goes like people have above but it put me Cold and Dark where I wanted to be, even though the departure Runway was showing on the selection screen.

I guess it's good to have work arounds but we shouldn't need it for something as basic as this. Grrr.

This happened to me today also.  However, when I noted that the planner had replaced my direct arrival with a STAR, I removed the errant STAR and rec-clicked my chosen ramp spot.  The proper ramp then appeared in the start window.

Randall Rocke

This little bug, plus the one that if you change the time then select a starting position it switches the time back, have been around since forever.

In fact there's a few little bugs floating about the world map UI that have never been dealt with, I guess they don't have a dedicated UI coder or else these would've been fixed by now.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

So far so good for me on selecting and preparing the aircraft before choosing the ramp or gate.  However, there are many times where the departure window lists the runway instead of the ramp even after selecting the ramp.  After spawning I sill end up in the right place.

Randall Rocke