Sign in to follow this  
BobFS88

X plane 12 Public Beta 12.05b2 is out

7 hours ago, Colonel X said:

I guess what it comes down to is either...

a) A smooth VR sim that looks like FS1998
b) A VR slideshow sim that looks like XP12

Well my XP11 looks really good in VR, super smooth locked at 45fps with frame reprojection (90fps in the headset), even with ZIBO/LevelUp/Toliss + Autoortho + X-Europe + Global Forests + Traffic Global. Not a single stutter.
It took getting new GPU (RTX 3090) and new DDR4 RAM at 3600mhz CL16, but it's well worth.

Looks the same in VR:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

6 hours ago, Colonel X said:

I guess what it comes down to is either...

a) A smooth VR sim that looks like FS1998
b) A VR slideshow sim that looks like XP12

b) isn't an option, you will be physically sick, VR messes with your senses in a way you can only understand if you VR.

This is my current VR settings for vsync'd 30fps in VR

Looking at that video, the quality is lower there than what appears in the headset - but not by much. screen recording also knocked a few fps off.

I did a through the lens a month or so ago:

For 2D I can max all settings and more or less hold 60fps in all circumstances, do sometime see the fps counter drop below that (especially hitting hard regions like London), but hardly matters, whereas VR the slightest hitch actually hurts.

RTX3070.

I've seen claims the RTX4090 is doing 90fps in VR at max settings....

This is also why I'm not in a hurry to update my PSVR to something else, PSVR2 doesn't look like it will be for PC any time soon, and XP12 only just starting to be "perfect" at PSVR type qualities. I can't look at XP11 anymore, the lighting, vegetation and clouds are just so ugly.

Some performance tweaking and openXR from Laminar, next generation GPUs from NVidia with the lowest end besting the highest end today, and this is going to be normal for everyone:

On 4/9/2023 at 1:59 AM, mSparks said:

In fact just this morning, I did a "proper" full R44 flight in VR, no cheating, cold and dark start, real weather that was far from calm clear blue skies, overfly to see the wind changed on return.

Everything was absolutely perfect, all the way down to the windsock working properly (I think, need to check that, one of my longest open bugs and I didn't see it in the release notes), VR didn't stutter once, heli behaved exactly as it should in every phase of flight, weather was suitably challenging, very very satisfied with where my scenery is at. That is the first time I can say that about a VR heli flight. 

AutoATC Developer

On 4/10/2023 at 7:32 PM, BobFS88 said:

Can you share how you arrive at this conclusion when I just check it a few min ago a and the download is working fine. It seems to be following the NOAA weather with the exception that there is  somewhat of a delay in between to two but not far off. 

Are you sure you don't have it in manual?

Even after a fresh re-install just now / upgrading to 12.05b3, IFR conditions are still not depicted.

For instance KGSP's recent real life metar @ 1553Z is 400 OVC.

XP12 ATIS @ 1600Z reports 600 BKN, but when climbing out, the actual BKN layer is at something like 5500 AGL.

I reported this bug to the XP developers about two months ago. The response I got is they are aware of the issue and are fixing.

Edited by drix9