Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

Specs for possible new PC

My old machine crapped out today. Looking at a new one, i'm not sure on the specs thing so wondering if there is much better than what I have today...

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKSGGPC50127/GGPC-RTX-3060-Gaming-PC-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600-6-Core-wi

Currently: 

• AMD 3600X
  • 500GB SSD 
  • RTX 2060 Super
  • 16GB DDR4 ram
  • 500W power

Get the 5800x3d instead.

you won’t be disappointed.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Definitely get an NVidia 4000 series card, because you can use frame generation for MSFS with the new NVidia 4000 series cards.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Can’t afford a 4000 card. Really looking at those specs vs what I have 

The last couple of times I got new systems (from PBTech), I chose all the components and they assembled them all for free - including a full burn-in test. It saved me a lot of messing about and at least I knew the system was 100% working before I picked it up. Not sure whether they still offer this service, but worth checking out!

You may want to go for a slightly gruntier PSU so you're a little future-proofed.

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

The problem with asking for hardware recommendations on Avsim is half the userbase thinks you poo out money 🤣 Yeah just double the budget for the CPU and triple it for the GPU, no issue! 5800x3d and RTX 4080 are just small change 🙄

The PC specs you linked are okay for MFS, the 3060 could be a tad slower than your current 2080 Super although is has more VRAM which MFS is hungry for. System RAM over 16GB is not essential now (the RAM footprint of MFS has dropped since its early days) but it's nice to have and other software may want 32GB, so check it has two RAM slots spare so you can expand it later. A 650W PSU will not give you headroom to run the latest graphics cards should you wish to later, you'll want more like 800W+.

Overall I think the system you linked to versus your current specs you will only see a small performance improvement, I base this on:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-5600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X/m1822932vs4041

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2060S-Super/4105vs4049

Therefore I suggest you would be better to repair your current system since it is still relatively modern; you haven't mentioned how it crapped out?

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Thanks for the replies, 5800X or 5800X3D?

The X has faster clock speed and turbo speed... same cores etc... not sure why the X3D ranks slightly better and if that makes a difference to MSFS?

Edited by NZAA

Get the 5800X3D, I'm in the same boat as you, pretty much exact same current spec but a slightly beefier PSU. Lots of gaming benchmarks around (as usual not many Sim specific) but for the small difference in price I think the 3D is a goer, if you can source one. Im gonna defer my GPU update till prices get a little more sane :-)

Dean Stringer