Sign in to follow this  
MrBitstFlyer

Hotas for helicopters

I've been using a Logitech 3d Extreme Pro since I started using helicopters a couple of months ago.  I may have been unlucky, but mine has already started being very noisy in its signal - holding the joystick in one place sees the signal jumping up and down leading to very jerky control response.  I have decided to splash out on better controls, both for helicopter and aircraft flying.  I have the Honeycomb Yoke and Throttle and am quite happy with them for aircraft that use yokes (although I am tempted by the Brunner yoke).

I can't spend as much as required for helicopter specific controls, so I'm looking at a Hotas solution.  The Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas looks really nice, with lovely smooth throttles and stick.  Anybody have experience with this Hotas for helicopter flying?  Any other control suggestions?

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

As always, it all depends on the money you want to spend. For my  the Virpil models are among the best.In my case I opted for something cheaper in the mid-range for the Stick, specifically the Gladiator NXT EVO. And for the collective I am using a handmade model made by GVL although with all this misfortune from the war in Ukraine I don't know if it is still possible to do some kind of order. I put some links to the Vilpil page and the VKB page and also a video of the Throttle. I hope it helps.

https://www.vkbcontrollers.com/collections/all

https://virpil.com/en/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Any other control suggestions?

An cheap solution could be X56 Rhino. This use F.E.E.L spring tension system. Each spring placed on the rhino stick shaft will give a different feeling. You can also operate the stick without spring, providing a total of five different forces. The last mode (without spring) is an ideal way to simulate a collective stick.

Price around USD $180.-

spacer.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations.  I hadn't heard of these companies before - I thought the Thrustmaster Warthog was top of the tree!

I have ordered the WinWing Orion2 Hotas Metal.  I liked this one because a collective can be added for helicopters.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I'm also thinking of get a helo control, I currently use a left hand VKB stick with TCA bus on the right, great for buses but super weird with helicopters.

I can buy a interchangeable grip for my VKB stick for right hand, but wonder if there is a good cheap collective to use, I don't need a hotas head on collective as I mostly fly B206, Bo105 etc. etc. I I remember back in the day I tried use saitek throttle quadrant mounted in the way to mimic collective, but could never get used to it....

16 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Thanks for the recommendations.  I hadn't heard of these companies before - I thought the Thrustmaster Warthog was top of the tree!

I have ordered the WinWing Orion2 Hotas Metal.  I liked this one because a collective can be added for helicopters.

This is a Great Modular approach for different type of applications needed if you fly different aircraft;This same base will accept a Grip for a F-16.F-18 and Helo Collective and swaps out within minutes

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick