Sign in to follow this  
Novation

19-year old is re-writing DX10 for XP !

>Well, if cores keep expanding like rabbits, and these said>cores increase clock speeds, perhaps emulation in the CPU>isn't too big of a deal.Not a chance - GPUs are specially designed circuits just for graphics, this is why they're called accelerators, because they do things automatically through the physical design of their circuits that CPUs would have to spend a ton of time doing step by step. Remember how slow and awful games used to look using CPU "software" renderers before 3D accelerators were invented? That would still be the case today..

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest christian

There are 2 issues Phil commented on:1) The claim to run DX10 on non-DX10 hardware. This of course is b****cks.2) Running DX10 on XP. The way these guys are doing it is by wrapping the DX10 calls to OpenGL. Yes this is 'possible' but if we ever see this working without crashes is another question.Christian

Guest christian

Hi GerardThis is old news, I even blogged about it 2 months ago and had a discussion with Phil Taylor at the time.http://www.simpilotnet.com/index.php?optio...45&Itemid=10013There are 2 claims:1) No longer will you have to upgrade your OS The way they do it is by writting an OpenGL wrapper around DX10 functions, which is possible on paper. If they succeed to really make it happen is another question as this isn't trivial (the LINUX guys have been at it for years with only medium success).2) and video card(s) to play the latest games.well this is rubbish. You will always need a card that actually supports the graphics feautures. This is like saying 'we developed a driver that squeezes 2GB our our your 1GB memory'. This claim is out of the land of fairy tales.I have to admit, after initial excitement, I believe this is just a bunch of people creating some empty buzz on the Internet for attention. Time will tell.Christian

I apologize if I missed your point, but we understand you need a DX10 capable card. Using a DX10 card with XP is the hope. :) For some of us, the price to run Vista is to high. Both from a cost and PIA perspective. Bob..

I agree, it really is quite a pipe dream.Even if they somehow get it working in some type of kludged fashion, it will be a moot point as Vista SP1 or SP2 will likely be out by then and running on the majority of installed computers.Let's not forget that just like Win 3.1, 95, 98 and ME, WinXP will soon go the route of the Dinosaur as far as support goes. Many said they would not give up their Win98 for XP, but they did. Same thing will happen as Vista matures.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

Vista OEM can be bought pretty cheap.All you need is Home Premium. I bought Ultimate and it was a bit of a waste frankly.Personally, I think it would be very risky to start using major mods like this... you just never know what unintended consequences it could have on the software you're trying to run.A clean, fully legal O/S with no significant mods makes everyone's life a lot easier.Bryan

Guest Phantoms

>Personally, I think it would be very risky to start using>major mods like this... you just never know what unintended>consequences it could have on the software you're trying to>run.Isn't this exactly what Vista was? Major mods with unintended consequences on the software we ran!!!

Some people have already discovered that using the first, and so far only, version of this 'hack' causes some games with a DX10 code path to not even start in XP, let alone do anything positive.If you have added those D3D10 dll's and other files to your win sys32 folder it would probably be wise to remove them.